Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding with headlights on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Riding with headlights on Reply with quote

I know most/all new bikes have the headlights on permanently, but I'm curious how many people that have to switch them on during the day do so?

Does it really make you "more visible" these days?

I recently stopped at a snack van, but when I got off the bike a van driver called me over and told me that my lights weren't working, I said they are working fine and that I just don't see the point in having them on constantly.... he was shocked that I would even think about riding around without headlights during the day (dry, sunny, great visibility etc).

Does it really make you safer riding round with your headlights on constantly.... or is it just the bulb manufacturers hoping for a few extra sales?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto lights on on 1250
Manual on bandit. Only use lights when it's dark. 👍

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always ride with lights on, saves the battery, alternator and reg/rec from cooking/overcharging, a bulb is cheap to replace, the previous not so cheap.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:32 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTRL's have been the topic of in depth study for probably thirty years or more... I call it the Volvo effect... as their decision to make headlamps hard wired probably got the ball rolling.....

Thirty-Forty years or research..... and the Verdict is STILL 'out'!!!!

What does that tell you?

Quote:
the INVISIBLE biker!

The Topic of 'Conspicuity', Hi-Vis gear and the SMIDSY; Sorry Mate I Didn't See You. A look at WHY SMIDSY accidents occur in the fist place; then what its suggested you can do to help avoid them; 'Conspicuity' aids, Day-Time-Running-Lights (DTRLs), Hi-Vis, or high-visibility clothing, and things like that. THEN whether they ACTUALLY might 'Help', as well as some of the contention over 'compulsory' Conspicuity aids.

My thoughts and a little empirical on the topic... personally I don't think that DTRL's do much if anything to make you more conspiciouse.. to which many say "Yeah, but it cant hurt.. so might help.. use'em!" which, I think, if you did down a little isn't so true. A bright DTRL can 'glare' and make you less conspiciouse, just adding to what is already a feild of fun-fare lamps everything clamouring for folks attension, from shop signs, advertising hoardings, kids trainers, flashing dog collars, etc etc etc.... and as the ambient lighting dimms, with weather or twi-light, the situation just gets worse, with DTRL's just 'lost' in the sea of neon.....

My p[ersonal thoughts is that a low wattage side-light just making the headlamp bowl glow, probably gives about as much conspicuity as anything, without the glare, and gives observers better chance to work out what the lamp actually is... and more, recognise its a biker, more still, remember that they probably dont want to SMIDSY said biker.... and even more... MAYBE just maybe do something different NOT to SMIDSY the biker.....

Which is to hang a lot of monkets off the tree way beyond turning the lamp on.... to which, turning the lamp on, is but small part, and if they do or dont see lamp, you are in a world of trouble before you begin...

So its not about whether you put the lamps on, or not, its about riding defensively, NOT assuming that cos you have a lamp on, or are wearing HiVis, or have used an indicator or anything that they will have taken a blind bit of notice, or will do the right thing, or will do anything at all to watch oyt for your arse... only you can be relied on to do that... So?

Dont ride like a tit to start with? No make danger, not going to hurt you.

See danger... dontr go there.... keep your eyes open and dont expect ANY bugger to watch out for your arse, they likely have a million other things on thier mind, all far higher up thier list of priorites.

In danger? Well, get the fcuck out of it! why were you there in the first place, you fool!? B rakes steerrng, DONT PANIC, keep your cool, and control the situation you have got yourself into.. so you dont get hurt.

Last line of defence? Oh dear this gonna hurt.... nothing you can do, its all to late... hope that the hat and the leathers may cusion the blow a bit before you hit something hard and unyeilding.... but it gonna hurt.. and would a bludy light-bulbv have helped?

When it comes to that, a whole list of things have gone wrong in the chain of events, of which a DTRL is but one, tiny influence, that really has so little and shouldn't be relied on... like road surface, tyres, brakes, or SMIDY man to do what the Highway Code says he should.....

So, the answer is? Personally... I tend to ride on just sidelights, so not to add to the confusion, or dazzle other traffic..... otherwise... I use my eyes, I use my instincts and rely on thirty odd years of doing this schitt for that 'sixth sense' to try not get into trouble..... and put my faith in that.... not the ruddy headlamnp..... and STILL smidy's try and kill me.......

It makes small odds in the greater scheme of anything... so lights or no lights.. do whatever makes you feel most comfy... but dont put your faith or your life in ANY thing to keep you 'safe'.... it dont... and only thing that can in anyway help is a little common cocum and boring being sensible, and keeping your own eyes open!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:54 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
Always ride with lights on, saves the battery, alternator and reg/rec from cooking/overcharging, a bulb is cheap to replace, the previous not so cheap.

What?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light on all the time the engine is running.

No kittens harmed.

It can only help visibility.
I won't go into it as Tef killed the thread.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
moonzoomer wrote:

What?
I mean replacement cost of a battery, bottom coils, reg/rec is a lot more expensive than a bulb and/or that using an alternator for its purpose is easier on the battery and the reg/rec in the long run, batteries last a lot longer if they are discharged as well as charged and a constantly fully charged battery will give a reg/rec a harder time . Pointless using your petrol to generate sparks that are going to be sent to ground and wasted in the form of heat.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where there is a light switch, lights on as soon as the engine has started.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:26 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

What?
I mean replacement cost of a battery, bottom coils, reg/rec is a lot more expensive than a bulb and/or that using an alternator for its purpose is easier on the battery and the reg/rec in the long run, batteries last a lot longer if they are discharged as well as charged and a constantly fully charged battery will give a reg/rec a harder time . Pointless using your petrol to generate sparks that are going to be sent to ground and wasted in the form of heat.

Ballast resistor.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Ballast resistor.
Yeah, they dissipate the excess energy using heat, I prefer the energy to be turned into light, no sense wasting that petrol.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:34 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Ballast resistor.
Yeah, they dissipate the excess energy using heat, I prefer the energy to be turned into light, no sense wasting that petrol.

So, your argument that having your lights on prevents your electrics from frying itself is destroyed by my comment of 'ballast resistor' and you then change tack and say 'light'?

You do know that heat is infra red light? Just because you can't see it doesn't stop it being electromagnetic radiation.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side lights on all the time, switching to full headlights (not necessarily high beam, of course) if dark or foggy.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only use lights when it’s dark. Boils battery.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

So, your argument that having your lights on prevents your electrics from frying itself is destroyed by my comment of 'ballast resistor' and you then change tack and say 'light'?

You do know that heat is infra red light? Just because you can't see it doesn't stop it being electromagnetic radiation.
I am not arguing with anyone but can I have some of that shit you are smoking, measlikes it muchly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:27 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I am not arguing with anyone but can I have some of that shit you are smoking, measlikes it muchly.

You don't remember typing this then?

moonzoomer wrote:

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side lights on all the time, full lights in the dark. The side lights are higher output leds but that's all.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nobby the Bastard]

You don't remember typing this then?

moonzoomer wrote:
[/quote] Yes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

What?

No they don't.

Specifically if you have your lights on and the engine running you battery will be fully charged all the time. Your alternator gives out way more than your lights use.

Also, lead acid batteries have a cyclic life. While they will last for a good while fully charged, they will not if discharged and recharged. The obvious case are leisure batteries, which are designed for that sort of use and have a specific cyclic life. Starter batteries are not designed for a cyclic existence.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/understanding-leisure-batteries/

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:35 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be the case that having the lights on during the day may have helped bikes be seen out there. Bikes are almost invisible at the best of times to car drivers, having that bright thing shining on the front gave us a helping hand in theory. These days many new cars have daytime running lights so it has evened the playing field.

The reality is, does it matter? We are still going to be out there dying in droves because of blind car drivers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my observation is better but i've yet to be surprised ( annoyed /. / dumbfounded maybe but not surprised) by anything dumb another driver has done.

As far as lights / hi viz etc go - anything that raises the chance of one of these idiots seeing you is a good thing - the active ingredient in the mix is you. Never rely on any of the passive items for your safety.

Z1000 has full LED lights - would not want anything else having had them.

rcbikeracer
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:26 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lights on my Skorpion Traveller, lighting a candle would be brighter. Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:46 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Position" lights on the Enfield, because why not? It lets people know that you're riding an Enfield, so that they can make allowances for your braking distances. Whistle

https://i.imgur.com/gesyTrT.png

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

No they don't.

Specifically if you have your lights on and the engine running you battery will be fully charged all the time. Your alternator gives out way more than your lights use.

Also, lead acid batteries have a cyclic life. While they will last for a good while fully charged, they will not if discharged and recharged. The obvious case are leisure batteries, which are designed for that sort of use and have a specific cyclic life. Starter batteries are not designed for a cyclic existence.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/understanding-leisure-batteries/
My battery is not lead acid and my alternator is a single phase 35 watt item that would struggle to keep up with the energy consumption of my headlight, I also do not have a starter other than my right foot.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:58 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights are a mixed blessing. They can make it much harder to judge distance. SOmetimes all you see is an approaching point of light becoming slowly bigger and unless it moves oddly, isn't immediately recognizable as a motorcycle (hence why many riders will do a slight weave as they approach a joining junction).

If there are a lot of lights in the background, a motorcycle can get "lost" in the clutter.

If the background is particularly bright, a light can actually camoflage you.

Since all new vehicles now have permanantly on daytime running lights, the advantages of using them are greatly diminished. Same goes for yellow hi-viz, every fucker is wearing it now so it gets filtered out, or worse, labelled as "slow miving". One of the reasons for me wearing orange hi viz.

I make a decision on if I'm having mine on or off based on the light conditions , traffic volume and background.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I rely on my Polite vest.

OGR
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2