Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hey Guys, Need advice please.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rayzor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:02 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Hey Guys, Need advice please. Reply with quote

Hi guys. I run a metal detecting forum and the biggest UK member only detecting facebook page, So Im well aware of some of the obvious asked a million times before questions that Im sure frustrate the shit out of a few of you seasoned Bikers.

First off, to introduce myself, Im not a 18 yr old newbie, Im getting old, Im 46. I passed my driving test when I was 20 or 21 and been driving 4 wheel stuff ever since.

My woman changed her job from commuting to London, to a more rural location, and without a driving Licence, I bought her a 125 scooter, she did her CBT on the Saturday and off she went zooming around loving it.

Shes now trying to talk me in to getting a bike.... When I was 15, I had a go on my brothers bike, being a kid and having a BMX, the left hand lever was always the brake........ on his motor bike, it was the clutch, needless to say I got some bruises from the fence I drove in to!

Just after that time, my Cousin Robert came to visit us, he had a big super bike, all the leathers, flash helmet etc, but as we found out later, on his way home after his holiday to see us, we believe he took a corner too fast and died under a lorry.

As you can imagine, this put me off biking even more.

My lady is trying to talk me in to buying a Scooter, so we can go off and explore, have some fun together, maybe stick the detecting gear in a back pack and just drive till we meet a friendly farmer type that will let us have a go on their land.

Im happy to spend a couple of grand on a bike, to get used to dodging the crazy blind stupid fekkers out there, I have done my homework on here looking at insurance for newbies posts etc But Im confused about my licence.

I still vividly remember, when filling in the forms for my driving licence, what classes I want, Bikes, nah, Fek that I thought, so on my plastic licence for AM, A1, A2 A there is nothing there.

https://ibb.co/b9nLOT

But.... when I use my licence number to log in to DVLA, and check my licence, this is just confusing..........

https://ibb.co/hT77no

I do want to join her, and will book myself in for a CBT on Saturday........ But the info Im seeing is just confusing........... I can 'Provisionally' drive any size motorbike???????, with or without a sidecar? Can I jump on a 1200 machine and be in bluetooth range of someone that has a full licence?

Its all mental innit boys?

Anyone got any land I can organise a metal detecting dig on? Im sure we can get the numbers up and chuck a couple of hundred quid your way for allowing a day on your land.

Nice to meet you all.

Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 05:26 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see your pictures. check links.

If you have a licence, you almost certainly have provisional motorcycle entitlement.

You likely got your first provisional in days you had to 'opt in' for motorcycle entitlement and it only lasted two years, so unless you haven't updated licence, and if you got a photo-card you must have, you aught to have provisional for all classes again.

But you need a CBT cert to validate entitlement.

CBT is not a test, its your first lesson, so you can ride on L's... if you value your woman, you may like to consider getting her some further lessons... especially if she's not a qualified motorist for any other class of vehicle......

Bikes represent a disproportional number of accident stats... and L-Platers on CBT an even greater one..... just cos law says you can ride unsupervised without passing tests dont mean its the brioghtest idea to come out of a very dim whitehall....

So, advice ios go talk to bike-school.... if you want to get on 2 wheels, you need that CBT....

NO you cannot jump on any bike you like over 125cc on CBT and L's....

Anything bigger than 125cc you have to be under supervision, not of a full licence holder, but qualified DAS instructor, carrying thier credentials.

You will need to talk to school to sort CBT, they will sort out any licence query you have, and if needs tell you if you need get your licence updated, but from sounds of it, I doubt it. you will need valid driver's licence no to book CBT though.

But school is where it all starts... go talk to one or two... thats where the answers are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:23 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing:

https://i.imgur.com/llkXUH4.png

https://i.imgur.com/YavkqrB.png

The online version is the point of truth. The photocard is just a piece of ID now.

Eagle eyed viewers will spot that you don't have A with a 79 code (trikes) which you used to get as a freebie when passing B, so that's a clue that you didn't have provisional A in 1991 when you passed your car test. But apparently, Friend Computer thinks you do now.

Honestly, I don't know. I'd run it past your training school of choice. If they're happy with it, then you can go ahead and do your CBT. The DL196 form you get on completion is just a piece of paper, it's not updated on DVLA records for months.

It's been a while since I had provisional entitlement on my card, so I'm not even sure if it's supposed to say anything on there about it. Anyone?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkys an instructor, maybe PM him?

Rayzor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice guys, I will make an appointment and see the CBT Instructor on Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your cousin!

The bike licence system can be confusing when you're already used to the binary system of:
'Do you have a licence for your car? Yes/No'

Rather than:
'Can you/will you do DAS or go through the A1, A2 and A licences? But wait you've already got an A licence? Cool! BTW that 79 code means you can only drive Billy Connolly style trikes or those weird '2 wheels at the front' things you see in London, so actually you don't have an A licence. You've got a car licence? Cool! After completing the CBT you can now ride on the raw, untamed power of a 50cc without an L plate, along with the 125 with L plate which you normally get from a CBT. Passed your Mod 1? You've now got 6 months to do your Mod 2... no wait you're doing a DAS so that's actually 2 years to do your Mod 2 from the date of passing your theory test- yeah that theory test which for some reason had more security than an international airport. You've got the A licence now? Great, that's £700+ for getting the 79 code removed. Yaaaay!

*cough*
Basically what Tef said.
And if you're planning on getting a bike exclusively for riding around with your Lady then perhaps it'll be best to stick to the CBT since there'll be little point of riding a 600+cc bike alongside her 125 scooter. The main benefit of getting the licence would be not having to redo the CBT every 2 years, and if one of your scooters broke down you'd be licenced to carry your spouse as a pillion.
If you're going to go down the licence path then IMO it's best to go for the full A licence, especially since the smaller licences no longer become automatically upgraded through time.

Quote:
being a kid and having a BMX, the left hand lever was always the brake........ on his motor bike, it was the clutch, needless to say I got some bruises from the fence I drove in to!

That reminds me of my first time on a bike post-CBT. It was a couple of months after my CBT and I was still very used to my bicycle so when I tested the "breaks" I couldn't help thinking that the left (rear?) was a little spongey. Confused

Welcome to biking Smile

Last edited by SDFarsight on 13:41 - 12 Jun 2018; edited 3 times in total

Rayzor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:37 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, £129 later and my CBT is on Sunday.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Enjoy it, and remember that it's training, not a test, so make the most of it, ask for clarification, and don't be rushed through it if you end up doing it with some eternaL Learners doing their third resit on their own scooters.

As you're almost dead of old age to begin with, you'll likely find it physically and mentally tiring, so don't fret if you end up going back for a second bite at it - it's not a 1 day course, it's as long as you need to reach a very subjective minimum standard. Price up extra days or half days, and be aware that it'll be much easier if you do go back rested and fresh with some time to assimilate it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1