Dolly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Dolly Reply with quote

Does anyone have one of these?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-mcd1-motorcycle-dolly/?da=1&TC=GS-020110139&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3v3YBRCOARIsAPkLbK5Wbd2h3VRZ9JNxCFReJs9i1y3eAHrmXrMC6Ef3nD97RWkJX83FsJkaAldAEALw_wcB

I have to ride forwards down a hill to my new garage so will want to ride onto the dolly and then turn 180 degrees so I can ride out. Floor is concrete and flat - will it work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one, but that does look like what you need.

I've been told you can turn a bike by pivoting on the side stand.. not that I've tried that!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I don't have one, but that does look like what you need.

I've been told you can turn a bike by pivoting on the side stand.. not that I've tried that!

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6RLmlGRPn8

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some less cumbersome options (one cheaper, one not):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyhRZAWsp8
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=ACA33131

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:

I do it all the time with the ninja, it's easy enough when you get the balance right
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1jac for this very purpose. Had it 3 years now.

https://www.1jac.com/motorbike-jacks-lifts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2YibgG6aVs

Certainly not cheap but by god it's awesome.

If they do an adapter for your bike of course.

Ride down my drive, into the garage, 2 seconds later the lift is on, bike is up and I just spin it right ready for the next morning Smile

Good guys too, had a bit of back and forth with them as they didn't actually have an adapter for a 954 even though they said they did so had to 'try' a few variations until we found the right setup. Gave me a 600RR adapter for the trackbike for free because of the hassle so can't complain.

I looked into dollys, skidpans, lifts etc.. but all had some annoyances. the 1jac works perfectly and done in seconds.

Obviously doubles up as a normal stand so I can perform the usual maintenance, remove my suspension etc.. easily

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was going to be a thread about a very famous sheep. I is now sad. Crying or Very sad

RIP Dolly

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.yfXLHeRPcPbuUgBIXR3YMAHaFj&w=234&h=175&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a turntable for the same purpose out of a heavy duty (500Kg) lazy susan bearing that cost me a tenner and a piece of 6mm steel cut to shape and welded on. Takes the VFR nay bother and spins her round with one finger, ride in ride out.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Dolly Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Does anyone have one of these?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-mcd1-motorcycle-dolly/?da=1&TC=GS-020110139&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3v3YBRCOARIsAPkLbK5Wbd2h3VRZ9JNxCFReJs9i1y3eAHrmXrMC6Ef3nD97RWkJX83FsJkaAldAEALw_wcB

I have to ride forwards down a hill to my new garage so will want to ride onto the dolly and then turn 180 degrees so I can ride out. Floor is concrete and flat - will it work?

Yes, I have the same one, only I bought mine off eBay for £65 a few years ago. I use it to push the bike right up against the wall when I need space for other stuff in the garage. It does take a bit of shoving to move around, but does the job.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you not just wheel it backwards down the drive whilst sat on the bike? Confused

tis what i do. I live on a hill, with a sloped drive leading down to the garage.
Drive has 2 cars on.. I turn around on the road and face up hill.. then paddle feets while directing bike in between 2 cars all the way to garage.. bike is then facing the correct way for when its time to get bike out of garage

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
I made a turntable for the same purpose out of a heavy duty (500Kg) lazy susan bearing that cost me a tenner and a piece of 6mm steel cut to shape and welded on. Takes the VFR nay bother and spins her round with one finger, ride in ride out.

Pics. We want pics.
Sounds like an interesting device.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
could you not just wheel it backwards down the drive whilst sat on the bike? Confused

tis what i do. I live on a hill, with a sloped drive leading down to the garage.
Drive has 2 cars on.. I turn around on the road and face up hill.. then paddle feets while directing bike in between 2 cars all the way to garage.. bike is then facing the correct way for when its time to get bike out of garage
That would be the obvious answer, and I did try it but the pavement rises sharply before the drive drops, so I have to get off, push up the pavement, get back on, wheel backwards between mine and the neighbours car and there's no margin for error. I'm a small guy and the SV has a shite steering lock so it's not possible for doing every day. I've only been doing it a week and already laid the bike down, albeit only lightly and the crash bungs did their job, but still a PITA

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Since starting this thread, my old man has said he'll weld something up for me but his attention to detail is not always great. He also wouldn't use a bearing so I'm already thinking clunky pivot point with a lot of play. Might not be too bad id I anchor it to the ground with a bolt in the middle though. I won't need to move it around, just spin it.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Pics. We want pics.

https://i.imgur.com/cZo2Qed.jpg

One of these lazy susan bearings https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007U6CWNU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cut a piece of 5-6mm steel to fit, weld (or JB Weld, would work just fine) Glued a manky piece of rubber sheet on top for grip.

It's not mounted to the floor, I just kick it under the bike, pop it up on the centre stand and spin it round (I built my workshop based on the width necessary to spin a bike 180 in clear space). Easy. Total cost, 12 quid (had steel plate lying around)

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
jnw010 wrote:

Pics. We want pics.

One of these lazy susan bearings https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007U6CWNU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cut a piece of 5-6mm steel to fit, weld (or JB Weld, would work just fine) Glued a manky piece of rubber sheet on top for grip.

It's not mounted to the floor, I just kick it under the bike, pop it up on the centre stand and spin it round (I built my workshop based on the width necessary to spin a bike 180 in clear space). Easy. Total cost, 12 quid (had steel plate lying around)

I love you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
I bought one of those, my Dad has made a sort of dolly with the lazy susan underneath. Taking the bike up tonight to see if it rides on/off ok and to see if it's still balanced whilst on the side stand (no centre stand). I'll try and put pics up in due course.

With that and an electric garage door, should be much easier getting it in and out without having a hernia (phnar)

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:48 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

Am I the only one who imagined a giant steel disc to take the whole bike, not just the stand Laughing

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
Am I the only one who imagined a giant steel disc to take the whole bike, not just the stand Laughing

No, I was wondering if was going to be a larger bit of kit. From what I recall Grrr was talking about building a giant turntable into the floor of his shed/garage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1