Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hard drive - Solid state drive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:58 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Hard drive - Solid state drive Reply with quote

As title, most new laptops now seem to boast solid state drives as opposed to hard drives.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of the two? Most SSD stated as 256GB doesn't seem much when Hard drives are 1TB upwards.

I know hard drives can fail but are SSD drives more reliable?

Thanks for any answers Confused

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD are much much faster than traditional hard drives.

I have nothing to back this up but I would expect an SSD to be more resistant to knocks/drops than an old school hard drive.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
SSD are much much faster than traditional hard drives.

I have nothing to back this up but I would expect an SSD to be more resistant to knocks/drops than an old school hard drive.

^^ this.

As far as I'm aware the only drawback with SSD technology is that the state of a data element (or whatever they call it) on a SSD can only be switched a certain number of times before is 'wears out'. That said it's a humungous number of switches and modern SSDs are fairly good at working around this limitation without you ever being aware of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD is way faster and quicker* than whatever HDD + it's completely noiseless and more durable (portable computers). Now, the pricing is quite off putting to many. To keep the cost down (portable computers), do you have a DVD/BR drive and do you use it? If not, there is your answer, 250GB system SSD + HDD for storage.

How long do SSDs last? Hard to say, just like with HDDs. Some units will last longer, some might die prematurely. If we strictly speak about the wear, I use a SSD as my system drive for about 5 years and just checking the SSD manager app, there is 96% of life left in it, no failures, no warnings, about 2030 power cycles; 517 days being powered on.

*You click at stuff and stuff happens, no waiting, no fragmentation issues. Even when you click at data you haven't been using for years, all will load like you've just been using the data yesterday (notice how with a HDD the data that's not being frequently used takes more time to load). This is also cool in gaming, as with many games, the loading times become non-existant! SSDs are also very addictive.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:46 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have one, you might as well not have a pc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:12 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies Cool

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:44 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies Cool

They forgot to add Windoze boots and loads in 10 seconds

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a minor plus for laptops - they use less power so the battery will last a few seconds longer.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:33 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Hard drive - Solid state drive Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:

Whatever you buy... BACK IT UP!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:08 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSDs are way better and faster. Boot time for the computer is reduced to seconds.

People have mentioned that the lifetime of the SSD is measured different to that of an old fashioned disc drive. This is true. I have a little piece of software which measures the lifetime of my SSD. It's called "SSDLife" and has free and paid versions. The free version is enough. It looks like this:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/wechat_screenshot_20180616140545.png

So I still have 7 years with this thing. Far more time than needed really. The rest of the laptop will have long since burned out and worn itself away by that time.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Hard drive - Solid state drive Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
toby1 wrote:

Whatever you buy... BACK IT UP!

SSD's will last decades but after a lot of usage the drive gets smaller,
so you can have a 120 gig drive new and after a few years it will only have say 90gig. Cells wear out after a certain amount of read/writes
then become inactive making the drive size smaller.

With Windows 10 you can use the file history to back up your files on
a separate drive, an external drive will do the job.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssd > hdd in every regard besides cost per GB

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a very dumb question but how do you get away with the very (relatively) small sizes though.

I have a hard drive on this laptop with about 250 G of used hard drive space. That's with only a couple of old games (Civ, Heroes of Might and magic) and the normal on line stuff.

Is it purely a case of being just more careful about what you load and where you store things or do you all use external hard drives for storage?

Or do you just bite the bullet and shell out for large SSD's?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:19 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
This is probably a very dumb question but how do you get away with the very (relatively) small sizes though.

I have a hard drive on this laptop with about 250 G of used hard drive space. That's with only a couple of old games (Civ, Heroes of Might and magic) and the normal on line stuff.

Is it purely a case of being just more careful about what you load and where you store things or do you all use external hard drives for storage?

Or do you just bite the bullet and shell out for large SSD's?

Personally I use an SSD for programs, the OS, downloads etc, and a bulk data hard drive for pictures, videos etc. I do this both with my laptop and PC. I also have a flash drive for my uni work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1