BCF: Bike Chat Forums

knee pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:39 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: knee pads Reply with quote

Never really thought of it before but year round I wear kevlar jeans, I saw someone yesterday with these knee/thigh strapon pads over jeans which looked pretty decent for city riding but couldnt work out the make, possibly spidi? has anyone used anything like this successfully? I am talking about city riding, not very fast 20-40mph max, obviously on motorway would be geared up fully

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:28 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh?
Do you mean knee sliders?

Evolved on race tracks in the '70's by stuffing carved up cardboard or old tyres over the hole in racing-leather's kneed, covered with gaffa tape. Originally to get through scrutineering when they didn't have a spare pair of leathers or a seamstress handy, after an 'off', then as tyres got better and lean angles more predictable, being padded a bit more to use as a lean indicator until around the time of radial tyres, racers were making them out of resin and using thier knee as a 3rd wheel to prop the bike up a bit when the tyre shimmied....

Emulated by road riders, who... well, saw racers wearing them, and thought "They must be cool" and started adding titanium screws so that they got white sparks on their favorite round-about?

These are not any sort of protective apparel, and I cannot imagine why you would want them, let alone need them in 'city' riding, and certainly at sub 50mph velocities!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:38 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: knee pads Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I am talking about city riding, not very fast 20-40mph max, obviously on motorway would be geared up fully

More eh!
Why would you in any way think that you 'have' to tog up to the hilt, for a motorway, but not the city?
Motorways are statistically some of the safest roads we have in this country. Traffic moves.. maybe... fairly fast, but its contained in a tube, from which pedestrians, push-bikes and mopeds are banned; only moves in one direction, and there tends to be miles between junctions.
In the city.... traffic is every where... goes in ANY effin direction... and you have pedestrians jumping into the flow wherever, dogs, shopping trolleys, push-bikes jumping on and off the pavement, mopeds stuffing it up the inside of everything, and T junctions, round-abouts, driveways, and stuff every few yards....
And IF you come off... unlike a motorway where you have miles of uninterupted tarmac, and a whole lane of the stuff, probably empty before a big wide race track style gravel trap and grass verge.... you have kerb stones, litter bins (possibly cast iron ones I know only tioo well!!) lamps posts, parked cars, sign posts, telephone boxes, electricity switching boxes and a veritable host of very hard unyelding street furnature to bring you to a very sudden halt long before you stop sliding........
Most accidents happen in restricted 3mph speed limit zones, most injuries occur in them.. WHY on earth would you have some notion that you can get away with less 'protective apparel' in the city, yet need 'more' on a motorway?!?!?!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef. I think the op is talking about these:

https://preview.ibb.co/dOkwhy/maxresdefault.jpg

As opposed to knee sliders.

Don't know how good they are or aren't though. My fear would be that they won't hold their position when sliding down the road. They should help with initial impact if nothing else but, I'm only presuming and you know what they say about that.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:17 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Tef. I think the op is talking about these:

Dafuque?!?
What on earth does anyone expect them to do over a every day streetwear?

Might keep your socks up, I suppose.......

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the other rider, that you saw, had normal jeans on with protection on top; I wouldn't follow suit.

Question is, then, why would you feel the need to use such a thing?

I recently purchased a pair of these and, on paper at least, they offer more protection than any textile jean I own; if you're in the market for a new pair -- or feel that your current pair aren't grand -- then I'd recommend them.

Interesting comment regarding "full gear" on motorways. I appreciate the speeds are faster but anyone coming in the opposite direction to you at 30 mph on any-old-road that you've travelled hundreds of times has the ability to veer over the line and kill you (I'm a bundle of joy, honest). Wear whatever you feel comfortable in; I find what gear I wear is determined more by the weather than the distance I'm going.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:09 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh ?. If you want to add knee protection just get some good kevlar, IE HOOD jeans.

My draggins did fuck all to protect me in my last off. Literally worthless imo.Poor quality materials and very little protection offered.
No better than when i was 18 riding with joggers under jeans to keep warm on the way to college.

I bought some Hood jeans after reading a lot of reviews on kevlar jeans and the quality is night and day to any other pair i have seen.
The denim itself is very tough, the kevlar covers much more of the leg and is basically a 3/4 shorts with longer bits on the shins.
Plus they came with Knox knee and hip armour which fits me better than my leathers do !.
They are not cheap, but i would trust these at any legal speeds in the UK tbh.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:13 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Knox jeans on right now:
https://www.planet-knox.com/product-category/denim/

Great thing about them is that they have a hidden zip on the inner knee/shin area so you can add & remove the armour without taking the jeans off.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:39 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well go for a full length shin guards.

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB13DNgKVXXXXXFXXXXq6xXFXXXU/military-knee-shin-guard-accessories-for-police.jpg_350x350.jpg

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use shin guards because they're adjustable, whereas the protective knee pads which came with two of my bike trousers have only one position available: below my knees. Shin guards aren't perfect (especially if they're cheap motocross ones which aren't designed for grinding along tarmac) but it's still better than having knee protectors which don't cover the knees.

One downside (or upside, depending on the crowd you're with) is that the shin guards can look rather excessive, like you're trying to make some cosplay armour.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go out on my YPVS with them trendy outdoor pants you can get at the 'designer' centres. You could unzip them at the knees if its really warm and drape them over your bike withe the Kevlar jacket but you'd look a cunt. I also wear some Alpinestar baseball style boots in the mistaken belief they will stop my ankles grinding to the bone in the event of an accident.
Same with kneepads. You hit a car head on and nothing will save you. Have a low speed off and maybe they will save a graze on the knee but not ligament damage or a broken leg.
Best bet is not hit anything or ride over the potholes or gravel chaff.
Put your money in good gear or training and not in some skateboard spin off trendy internet crap.

OGR
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1