Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sports tourer for tall rider

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Sports tourer for tall rider Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and have just passed the final part of the direct access test Very Happy and am looking to get a bike in April. I'm going to be commuting over 50 miles to work (alot of it motorway so will need some wind protection) as well as a bit of (careful) fun on weekends ect. I'm 6' 7" with a 36" inside leg (weigh about 18.5 st) so looking at options, I'd like something a bit sporty and so far I like the BMW K1300s and Honda vfr 1200 so will be trying them soon. Anyone get any suggestions of other bikes to consider, taking account of my requirements and my annoyingly (in this instance anyway) tall stature

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty anything with a sports position is likely to put strain on your knees as you've a long inside leg measurement.

Don't take this as gospel as the real life test is the all important one, but it's a good start.
https://cycle-ergo.com

However - for the type of journey you're proposing something more upright which I think would suit your structure better.

I wouldn't recommend it per se, for what you're proposing, but my KTM 990 SMT is awesome at everything and you'd be able to make the most of the high seat height.

250 miles a week - are you bothered about running costs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for personal choice, but I think you've made a poor one on those two bikes, they're both renound for being mind warpingly fast, particularly once on the move they do 40-120 in something stupid like 3-4 seconds (don't have the actual times to hand but iirc the k1300s is pretty much the fastest thing on the market at those speeds).

It's not that the accelerating itself is dangerous, more that it'd be very easy to end up way too fast for an unfolding situation without realising until it's too late. If nothing else you're likely to scare yourself shitless.

Just my two pennies.

Something like a Bandit 1200 (newer similar options are out there) will fit you as a tall person, is still way faster than you actually ever need, but is probably a wee bit more newbie friendly.

Some sort of naked 600 (fz6 maybe) would also probably fit you fine, and would be a sensible choice of first bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch another modern BMW out of warranty.

Big Bandit is a decent shout, fully faired as the GSX1250FA. It's been made for about 100 years so has long since worked through every problem. There are lighter, faster, more economical, more powerful, more electronical bikes out there, but if I were a big lad (Crying or Very sad) I'd be looking at the bike-for-the-money proposition on the Suzuki and finding it hard to beat.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:31 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i's not strictly a sports tourer but try a Triumph tiger 1050. I think it'll do everything you want.

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:52 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys guys, that ergonomics site is great by the way just what I need to get me started. Cost isn't really an issue as I'm currently driving my 2.5 litre petrol over the seven toll bridge 5 times a week (50 miles each way so over 500 miles a week) so any bike will be cheaper than that (bikes are free over the bridge) plus I've still got a car so may drive some days depending how I feel. Appreciate the advice re. a fast bike (I know what you say makes total sense) but I've got my mind made up and while I know a bike isn't a car I've got a lot of road experience being an advanced driver and done many track days, on the road I genuinely drive like miss daisy and trust myself not to run before I can walk.

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:56 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I know i's not strictly a sports tourer but try a Triumph tiger 1050. I think it'll do everything you want.

Got to say that's an interesting bike and something I hadn't thought looks great for the commute although more touring than sport, thanks

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:57 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Whys that?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a consideration though - MPG is only one part of the equation. I worked out some years back that commuting on my Triumph 1050 was more expensive than commuting in my 330d BMW because although the MPG was 10 or so to the gallon better, the cost of tyres, servicing and depreciation was significantly higher on the bike rather than the car. Not all circumstances are the same, of course.

Bike tyres don't tend to last very long - especially on heavier, more torque-monster bikes like you're suggesting. You'll want to fit decent sports touring all weather tyres like Michelin Pilot Road 3's or 4's which wear slower in the middle for upright riding and clear rain well - but don't expect to get any more than 10k out of them if you're careful.

Service intervals on the Triumph 1050 are 4500 miles from memory. At 16000 miles the service schedule will tell you it needs its valve clearances checked and that's about another 3 hours on the timing in most dealers, so not cheap.

However, don't let this sort of thing put you off. You'll still have a better time on a bike than in a car, because bikes are great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a thread about my VFR1200 experiences.

I'm 6'5 and find the VFR very comfortable, apart from the hard seat on long trips.

I do 90 commuting miles a day and the bike performs very well, although I do have a larger screen fitted. If you get one, get a Gen 2. Thumbs Up

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave81 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Whys that?

build quality .. particularly the electrics ...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:30 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave81 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Whys that?

Far too many problems. Electrics, shoddy materials, ropey build quality, recall after recall after recall. Owners fobbed off with "fair wear and tear" or "owner abuse" rubbish that you wouldn't expect from a Dodgy Dan back-lot dealer, until they finally have to admit that there's a problem.

I fluked out and got one of the very few models that doesn't tend to have serious problems, although the paint on my sump has all flaked off which a common issue across the whole BMW engine range now.

BMW consistently comes bottom of reliability surveys. For every owner who says his has been fine, there's another who has a tale of woe, and that just isn't good enough. Motorrad dealers charge an arm and a leg, or you can buy an extended warranty - for which they'll charge you an arm, a leg and a kidney.

My local one allegedly farms out work to independents while charging main dealer prices, at least when they're not wheelying customer's bikes around the yard.

They'll never see another penny out of me.

</rant>

Dave81 wrote:
[Tiger 1050 is] an interesting bike and something I hadn't thought looks great for the commute although more touring than sport, thanks

Well, you're asking about a sports tourer for commuting. That's pretty much everything, which is what 'adventure' bikes are all about.

While I won't gamble on the marque again, my midi-GS is a very decent do-anything bike. Comfortable, 400 miles a day is no problem, economical, fairly light on consumables. 'Adventure' bikes are the new universals.

I'd have had a Tiger 800 instead of my BMW if I could have found one locally in budget. The 1050 owner that I know is very happy with his biggun (apart from wheeling it around, it's a bit of a beast).

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you sat on pillion seats?
Quote 'drive like miss daisy'. She never drove, was chauffeured around.

(Just hate people saying they 'drive like miss daisy')

Any bike is going to be a struggle to be perfect standard, look at decent adjustable rearsets to get afterwards, inch or so of legroom can work wonders.

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:25 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some really useful replies and it has opened up a huge amount of other options, I'll definitely take a look at some of the adventure bikes, maybe a honda crossrunner/tourer, reliability has definitely put me off the bmw, still like the vfr 1200 though if I'll fit it. I guess the next step is to have a seat on some bikes and take a test ride if possible, thanks for all the ideas and advice.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yen Powell has a Kawasaki Versys 1000 that is typical Jap build qaulity and is shaft drive.I was pleasantly surprised how good this bike is Thumbs Up

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Wargibbon/Versys%201000/KawasakiVersys1000garmin3_zpsf80308ac.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Yen Powell has a Kawasaki Versys 1000 that is typical Jap build qaulity and is shaft drive.I was pleasantly surprised how good this bike is.

Nice machines but they're chain driven, not shafties. Super tenere would be similar but with a shaft.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Big Bandit is a decent shout, fully faired as the GSX1250FA. It's been made for about 100 years so has long since worked through every problem. There are lighter, faster, more economical, more powerful, more electronical bikes out there, but if I were a big lad (Crying or Very sad) I'd be looking at the bike-for-the-money proposition on the Suzuki and finding it hard to beat.
Matt B just bought one, loves it

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

meggark wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:
Yen Powell has a Kawasaki Versys 1000 that is typical Jap build qaulity and is shaft drive.I was pleasantly surprised how good this bike is.

Nice machines but they're chain driven, not shafties. Super tenere would be similar but with a shaft.

and have they come down in price Shocked ...
bit big for any sort of off road use though ... Thinking

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Big Bandit is a decent shout, fully faired as the GSX1250FA.

They are Thumbs Up Also has a height adjustable rider seat (+20mm) that only requires a small amount of mucking about and head scratching. Would help with not being so cramped if you are long in the leg. Decent wind protection with a taller touring screen, super smooth fuelling and good value for money. Bit on the weighty side but you don't notice it at all on the move. Relatively fat though which is a consideration if you are going to be doing a lot of filtering.

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:57 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give a bandit a tear ride, even though on paper it looks a bit unsporty it's probably a no brainer, unfortunately I don't seem to possess a brain and I still like the bmw, good job I'm 6' 7" or I'd probably be looking at the mighty zzr 1400 Shocked

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Yen Powell has a Kawasaki Versys 1000 that is typical Jap build qaulity and is shaft drive.I was pleasantly surprised how good this bike is Thumbs Up

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Wargibbon/Versys%201000/KawasakiVersys1000garmin3_zpsf80308ac.jpg
I'm doing 500 miles a week as well, it's been ultra reliable so far, I'm up to 43,000 miles at the moment. I raised the handle bars afew inches, found it more comfortable for me, seat is pain free when I ride down to Devon to visit my son. It is a chain drive, but I only replaced that after 30,000 miles as a precaution.
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/yen_powell/Versys%20good%20pic.jpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave81 wrote:
I will give a bandit a tear ride, even though on paper it looks a bit unsporty it's probably a no brainer, unfortunately I don't seem to possess a brain and I still like the bmw, good job I'm 6' 7" or I'd probably be looking at the mighty zzr 1400 Shocked

If running costs aren't an issue - give a KTM a try.

I love mine; it's fast steering, yet really stable, good wind protection, comfortable as you can get (suspension is exceptional given...) and yet it handles like a loon. Engine is punchy, linear, pull in any gear and fun. Downsides are a snatchy throttle response (you get used to it, gives character) and short service intervals / expensive main dealer servicing if that's your thing - oh and it's bright orange and everyone wants to nick it. Other colours are available.

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/arryR32/13600295_10206084808310363_334289695215173891_n_zpsseq91r0m.jpg

Wide bars, tall seat, does motorways well, does twisties better.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also where budget and running costs aren't an issue maybe consider the Ducati Multistrada. My 6'5 mate has one and loves it. Plenty quick and very comfortable. He does a lot of European touring with it, including two up. He came from a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (actually had a couple) and was a fan of those too.

[quote=yen-powell]I'm doing 500 miles a week as well, it's been ultra reliable so far, I'm up to 43,000 miles at the moment. I raised the handle bars afew inches, found it more comfortable for me, seat is pain free when I ride down to Devon to visit my son. It is a chain drive, but I only replaced that after 30,000 miles as a precaution. [/quote]

How do you find it two up (if you've tried)? Any comparison to the 650?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

meggark wrote:
He came from a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (actually had a couple) and was a fan of those too.

I wasn't / am not. That's the blip in my biking history right there, that thing. Why I kept it so long I just don't know.

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:48 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooo love the ktm and multistrada, I'm more confused now than when I started, but at least I've got lots of options, thanks to everyone, I think Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2