Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bluetooth intercoms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

ceepaulc57
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Bluetooth intercoms Reply with quote

Hi All, new to BCF.
I am just returning to riding after a lay off and have picked up a Triumph
speedmaster. As we plan to try and do some touring, I would obviously like us to be able to talk as we go on our merry way. Looking at whats available these days and its the usual overwhelmed with choice, so wondering whether some of you could make suggestions/experiences just to give me some advice. Thanks Smile

josdr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:54 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Sena products.. They work.... Very Happy

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:35 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how much you are willing to spend. I cannot praise the Sena 20S Evo highly enough, it works, and it works well over long distance up to about three quarters of a mile. Sound quality is excellent.
But it comes at a price.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:18 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Cardo scala Packtalk, faultless and guaranteed waterproof, when choosing for me between the Cardo and Sena offerings there was a cigarette paper between them on features although Sena didn't have Mesh when I bought mine, but the Cardo won besides Mesh as Sena don't (or didn't) guarantee the water resistance.

If riding in a pack then see what everyone else has, it's easier to pair, or get ones with Mesh technology, with Mesh I can use BT 1 for phone/music, and BT 2 for satnav, Mesh then takes care of rider to rider comms, with BT only, one channel will be for comms (and some you have to switch between channels), with Mesh on the Packtalks the music is attenuated and voice comes over on top, but you still hear music, you also have the ability to share music, mine have FM radios built in too, but the reception can be a bit patchy, especially in the hills.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my Sena 20S Evo in all day long heavy rain and they worked perfectly. I don't know where the rumours of not being waterproof come from.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:00 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
I have used my Sena 20S Evo in all day long heavy rain and they worked perfectly. I don't know where the rumours of not being waterproof come from.

Sena themselves, not waterproof, only water resistant, and can be used in inclement weather (subjective) they also admit units shut down when they detect water, and restart when dried.

Cardo is IP67 certified (objective)

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:10 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
raesewell wrote:

Sena themselves, not waterproof, only water resistant, and can be used in inclement weather (subjective) they also admit units shut down when they detect water, and restart when dried.

I think you'll find that Sena are erring on the side of caution. As I said they are waterproof in all meaningful terms. I wouldn't advocate immersing them in water for any length of time but wearing them on the bike in torrential rain for hours on end they worked fine and continued to work fine.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:37 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
I have used my Sena 20S Evo in all day long heavy rain and they worked perfectly. I don't know where the rumours of not being waterproof come from

I think you'll find that Sena are erring on the side of caution. As I said they are waterproof in all meaningful terms. I wouldn't advocate immersing them in water for any length of time but wearing them on the bike in torrential rain for hours on end they worked fine and continued to work fine.

I suspect you are right, I only answered your last post as you mentioned rumours, but direct from Sena is not a rumour.

Me I'd rather not gamble, and with Sena themselves covering their arse, I'd rather go with Cardo who at least have faith enough in their product to have them properly certified, these things aren't cheap.

I'm sure either brand would be fine and the OP should consider what the majority of his riding mates use for ease of connection.

borked
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:53 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:

A friend of mine purchased a two pack of 20S' and one of those died due to water ingress earlier this year. Happended out of warranty though so I don't think anything can be done.

His other one is still working fine, so if you get a good one it should last.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is important to make sure the rubber flaps are fully closed and secured.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
It depends on how much you are willing to spend. I cannot praise the Sena 20S Evo highly enough, it works, and it works well over long distance up to about three quarters of a mile. Sound quality is excellent.
But it comes at a price.

30K is pretty damn decent as well - battery doesnt like not being used though... after 2 weeks of not use its flat and needs recharging.
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:46 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no personal experience but I here the new Scala mesh technology is pretty good.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new Sena SRL (custom for the Shoei Neotec II), its my first bluetooth intercom but I am happy, I can hear sat nav at speed with earplugs in, the battery lasts all week commuting or at least a full days ride. Voice commands for music and calls.

Pricey but worth it, no more buggering around with headphones.

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:51 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Bluetooth intercoms Reply with quote

I just bought a Freed Conn off Amazon for £40.

To be fair only bought it to use with Sygic GPS app voice directions, and seems to be working fine.

Supposed to be waterproof (not tried it yet) and connect 3 ppl as intercom.
Music is clear and loud, also have FM radio function.

Will see how long it last. Never had a bluethoot intercom, and didn't want to splash on a more expensive branded one, just to try with a GPS app

Just my 2 pence Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:02 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike to Bike or just bike to passenger?

I bought the same as above but branded Buyee. About £60-£70 for a pair. Works fine below 50 but gets a bit sketchy after that. Fine for what I use them for.

(Means the Mrs can't complain when I go too fast for her Wink )

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth intercoms Reply with quote

Mr A wrote:
I just bought a Freed Conn off Amazon for £40.

We have a pair of them and the only let downs (for me) are :
1) They can't be charged 'on-the-go', but as long as we don't go on a rideout more than 6 hours then they're fine.
2) You can't use rider-to-rider comms at the same time as music/satnav
Other than that, they're brilliant.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:58 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the national road rally, had ours on non stop the entire time, started at 11.30, got home around 9.

Mine conked out 5 minutes from home, the Mrs set was still working.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good going!
We set off to Wales (the long way round) at 8am and arrived at our base just after 4pm, by which time both of ours had died.
Having said that though, we've had them over 2 years so the batteries may have degraded by now.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:24 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised myself. But they are less than a year old so maybe still at the top of their game.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 357 days between these two posts...

Smok3y666
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:55 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at Sena and Cardo. Having watched a video on YouTube by FortNine he seems to think all the BT ones today will be useless and outdated in a few years because all the new comms will be suing the new Mesh thing which I think only the new more costly headsets use today like the Cardo Packtalk. Perhaps they won't be useless but outdated is probably a better way to put it.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:56 - 07 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did another National Road Rally, same headsets. Charged up the night before, switched off the Bluetooth link when on the motorways, lasted from midday till 9.30pm so well over 9 hours.
Pretty good going I reckon.
mohit This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:41 - 20 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sena is proven and comes with a 2 year warranty. Really nice people too. My friend had a failure while touring in South America and Sena got a local dealer to help him out.

WHRSN83
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:53 - 11 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth intercoms Reply with quote

ceepaulc57 wrote:
Hi All, new to BCF.
I am just returning to riding after a lay off and have picked up a Triumph
speedmaster. As we plan to try and do some touring, I would obviously like us to be able to talk as we go on our merry way. Looking at whats available these days and its the usual overwhelmed with choice, so wondering whether some of you could make suggestions/experiences just to give me some advice. Thanks Smile

I use Cardo Scala Rider G9 Powerset and it's good. Very compact and convenient to use.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1