Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Plan my garage.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:26 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Plan my garage. Reply with quote

FINALLY after 2.5 years waiting next week ground is being broken on my garage.

https://i.imgur.com/Ag9hYuN.png

https://i.imgur.com/VJzgyeU.png

Just thought I'd throw it out to the BCF massive to crowdsource some ideas for layout.

I was thinking benches along the 5560 wall (may have snaffled some electronically adjustable standing desks from work Cool )

Then cabinets (more work freebies!) along the 6300 wall until it gets too thin.

This should leave room to work and store stuff. 2 motor bikes and 2 bicycles need to fit in it.

Some neat bicycle storage ideas would be good.

Anything else you would to a virgin garage?

Last edited by chris-red on 12:59 - 14 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:44 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your links are broken. Razz

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Plan my garage. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Anything else you would to a virgin garage?

Your images didn't work for me.

For me, a new garage needs:
Lots of power sockets
Drawers and cupboards (I won't use shelves again, they just get covered in dust!)
Lots of lighting.
Compressor and air line.

and if I had more skills and more money.. a lathe and mill Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:46 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics not showing for me.

However, I'd consider a power point in the ceiling.

I put four strip lights in a square round mine instead of one in the middle. Always get good light that way.

You going to be painting stuff? Maybe having a wee corner curtained off for spraying?/ In which case now would be a good time to fit an extractor (or a hole for one).

Build the security in. Put your ground anchors in when pouring the floor.

If you're not putting a car in it, does it need a door big enough for one? A smaller door is easier to maker secure.

I can't see how big it is but hoisting or hanging bicycles always seems to take up less space.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:47 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never have too many power points.

70's boobs ,in black and white, add correct authenticity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:49 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed links:
https://imgur.com/a/uLcpuEA
https://imgur.com/VJzgyeU

Paint the floor and walls before you fill the garage with crap.

Also make some sturdy wooden shelves when the garage is empty.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:08 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links fixed,

I'll be white washing the walls and painting the floor before anythig goes in.

With a bit of luck from work I'll be getting more metal/melamine cabinets than I know what to do with. so that should be storage sorted.

I was thinking LED lights, but I'm not sure what is best. Either way I'll be on a 35a breaker so will be putting loads of lights and sockets everywhere. Whe one thing I hate about my dad's garage is the walls are purple and the floor is dark red it is dark AF.

I want the door big enough for a car, I have 0 plans to put one in there but things change so I'd like the option.

I have been looking at compressors, I want an upright one in the corner but it seems most are flat. Is 100l enough to run air tools properly? I did wonder about running air line all around the garage but I think one by the bench and one by the front door should be enough.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water supply. Kettle. Fridge. First aid/eyewash station. Fire extinguishers/blankets. Dedicated rubbish area/bin. Cheap PC for choonz and looking stuff up when hands covered in shit.

Too late for an inspection pit?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I can't see how big it is but hoisting or hanging bicycles always seems to take up less space.

This is good advice if you have the headroom. I have a pitched roof in my garage and it's about 3.8m at the point I put a scaffold bar on the ceiling and got some hooks made up with a twist in them so I can hang bikes by their front / back wheels. It's only *just* high enough, if I was taller, I'd have had an eye out several times over. Hanging from the seat would help if it's lower, but you have to make sure you aren't going to whack one, as it will clatter on your heed. And the above suggestion of first aid stuff will then be even more pressing.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:15 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I was thinking LED lights, but I'm not sure what is best. Either way I'll be on a 35a breaker so will be putting loads of lights and sockets everywhere. Whe one thing I hate about my dad's garage is the walls are purple and the floor is dark red it is dark AF.

I rate these - I've got a set in my garage, and they're really good. Very easy to wire up, too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GK1BSR6

Might be worth putting down some garage matting by the workbench, too - you'd be amazed how much of a difference it makes standing on that for more than an hour over concrete - I got a bunch of the interlocking tiles cheaply from ebay (IIRC), and they're so much nicer to stand on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:19 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A de-greasing station.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:37 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a sprayer and compressor to paint my garage walls white. The floor is sealed with a blue sealer of some type. With a dual flourescent tube and a bulb at either end I don't have problems with it being dingy!

In order to paint the walls I simply diluted the paint 50-50 with water, mixed it up and stuck it in my sprayer.

I have an up and over door on both ends of my garage, so I needed to be fairly creative with storage. What I did was put shelves above head height in a line across the left wall (facing in from the street) then I park my bikes angled inwards pointing towards the left wall under the shelves. On the right wall I have my compressor, tool chest, workbench then my bicycles, jack, axle stands, stuff like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the roof going to be as the image? or flush with the top of the wall?

space vertically is just as imported as space to move around in.. try not to hang stuff from ceiling unless you have an enclosed rafter setup

my first thoughts seeing the images were Bench along the entire rear wall (5560 one ) with cupboards wall mounted (kitchen style ones). This leaves all other walls free for everything else like wall mounted tool racks etc for easy access to spanners/screwdrivers.

One thing i miss in my garage and i have aims to correct is a wash up station.. just a metal sink with hot/cold water will do it. Make it big enough and it could double as a parts washer providing you had some sort of drainage filter.

Naked ladies need to be on every wall along with a few ones of bikes..
A bike style calendar is useful i find for jotting down when you did certain jobs, like an oil change/brake service etc etc

If its a concrete floor, get a few packs of the foamy click-together sections from halfords... when i added mine it made a very big difference in the temp of my feet in winter (even in boots) as well as comfort when bending down/crawling around under the bike...
don't spend too much on them, they ulltimately get covered in oil/weld slag etc etc

Air compressor with hose routed so it can reach anywhere in the garage... preferably on a automatic reel for easy storage.

How many bikes do you have? do you already own a bike lift?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity you didn't go for an apex roof.

I fitted some fold in/out bicycle hangers. With the handlebars inline with the frame, pedals removed, sits pretty close to the wall.

Seal the concrete then lay some old wool carpet down where you'll be standing/working.

A big dobbing vice...bolted/welded onto a steel framed bench which in turn is bolted to the floor.

You need tunes dude...Old car battery...that old player you didn't throw out yet with the 4 speakers you saved.

'Boom-boom shake the room' (repeat ad nauseam) .

Sundries:

Big roll of paper towels.
An old bucket cut down its length can be attached to the wall. Cut a slot near the bottom to access your rag supply. <<<I've literally just invented this in my head...yes I know I'm like Aerons Adams rainpal crazy but not as stabby plus my idea will not save lives.
A stool on wheels.

An Enger-land flag....xenophobes tend not to steal from their own.
..but yes, some sort of wall decoration made of fabric to reduce the chill and noises..I presume you call-out when you cum..or are you a silent cummer....don't trust them myself.

A pane of thick glass. Handy for seeing if bolts are indeed straight...or clutch plates and spacers. I use a glass chopping board that somebody in their wisdom bought us. Rolling Eyes

Soffit/wall heaters taking care that they don't burn the england flag....do not get a blow heater.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ agreed on apex roof.

Please don't consider carpet. Its a fire risk..(ask me how i knows)
for instance, should your fuel tap decided to not work the day you remove your fuel tank and the petrol soaks into the carpet it will not leave for a long time...If you have/get and welder and have to weld something on the bike that's sitting over a carpet, the break off bits of molten metal will set shit on fire fast.
Oil spills from half a dozen or more services will leave big ol wet patches. You'l only lay down in that oily patch once Laughing

On that note. Another thing every garage should have is a big fk-off fire extinguisher.

Oh, and a kettle.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:32 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl periodically do 10kg powder extinguishers.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok fair enough wool carpet is a fire risk and harbinger of little nuts but it takes a fair blast from a grinder to make it smoulder.
Oil and fuel spills....bin carpet and put down some more....oh and stop spilling it.

I went around the back of carpet-right and got a narrow roll of thick wool carpet out their skip.

A C02 extinguisher plus the usual powder type....spring loaded escape hatch...don't use springs like this Very Happy https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YOUAAOSwbw1Z-ynw/s-l300.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the floor floated. You will need it smooth to roll bike stands and trolley jack etc.

Insulate the walls and roof to keep damp out and heat in.

Ventilate like a hoowur to let damp out.

Small Garage consumer unit for all electricals.

LED for lights. Outside and inside.

And work lights at bench (so you do not work in shadows.)

I have a CO meter/alarm in my garage. It kicks off after about three minutes when the doors are closed and there is a bike engine running.
I will never be able to top me-sel'. Sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Ok fair enough wool carpet is a fire risk and harbinger of little nuts but it takes a fair blast from a grinder to make it smoulder.
Oil and fuel spills....bin carpet and put down some more....oh and stop spilling it.

I went around the back of carpet-right and got a narrow roll of thick wool carpet out their skip.

A C02 extinguisher plus the usual powder type....spring loaded escape hatch...don't use springs like this Very Happy https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YOUAAOSwbw1Z-ynw/s-l300.jpg

Extinguisher is a very good advise/advice.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a light switch by both doors so you can turn the light on whichever way you go in on a dark night and turn them all off whichever way you leave.

Get something to put on the floor where you are going to put the bike on a centre stand before it damages the concrete/floor finish. I use old carpet tiles.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 14 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric door opener. Fit yourself, not too expensive and super reliable for years and years.

They also have a courtesy light that gives you time to find the light switch or see what you tripped over.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chamberlain-Basic-Garage-Door-Opener/dp/B00EYYAH8S/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_pd_session_scf_0_10?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00EYYAH8S&pd_rd_r=BHHDRXF5JDZJJ83BCK6F&pd_rd_w=EaLyA&pd_rd_wg=vxwTx&pf_rd_i=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=8323916444451154214&pf_rd_r=BHHDRXF5JDZJJ83BCK6F&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhf&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=BHHDRXF5JDZJJ83BCK6F

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the budget, is the floor laid yet?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I'll be white washing the walls and painting the floor before anythig goes in.

I painted my floor before I moved anything in. Paint is now flaking. Wish I'd put down something tougher because doing so now means emptying the garage again.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:13 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garage floor paint needs to be sealant type stuff, I use one that's intended for commercial garages and it's still fine after ~8 years.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like plasfloor plastic tiles for the floor in my garage, but there's a whole subforum on garage journal just about flooring if you want to pro and cons on all the options.
French cleats for the walls makes hanging and moving things around a lot easier.
Don't have too much bench space, it'll get covered in junk.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4