Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
chris-red wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/XJVzYqC.jpg

There isn't a single piece in this photo that I would put in a garage/workshop, none of it will have a high enough shelf load and noe of it has a high storage density.

I would suggest selling the whole lot on ebay and using the money to get a better storage solution.

One thing we are missing from this thread is you telling us what you are trying to achieve?

Without trying to start an argument you don't seem to be trying to build an efficient work space but rather a box filled with old office furniture.

Same thing went through my mind, any workbench not built out of 6x2's or 10mm steel plate might suit an electrician but you wouldn't be able to rely on it when abusing obstinate stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff won't make the best use of your space, but free is free.
I've turned down a lot of that stuff in the past as it's designed for an office or a lab, and is too bulky for a small garage.
Have a look at Jack Olsen 12 Gauge Garage for totally over the top small garage, but a lot of valuable ideas.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad some other people agreed with me, makes a change Wink

If it was mine this is what I would do as a start that keeps me within budget.

I wouldn't bother with the side door and window. I would fit a big patio door. This would mean easy access, easy to move things into the garden while working inside to create room without all the passers by seeing inside. Means with the doors open you are no longer 'in' the garage you are 'in' the garden especially when the other half is in the garden, you are still with her. Mates come round there is no space issue in the garage, just open the doors. Garden stuff no longer needs to go through the house, so many good reasons for it and it wouldn't cost much more. Less bricks to pay for just a lintel and a patio door.

The 5560 wall I would fit 6 x Hilka GWC2 wall cabinets. These cost about £90 each if you look around. LED lighting underneath. So total cost of £540 for the cabinets and lets say £50 for lighting.

Underneath I would have at least one BIG tool cab, probably a Clarke CBB230B as this would last you forever although they are £718.80 each. Ideally if it was me I would have two of these one at each end of the wall with a worktop across the top, a couple of pieces of Ikea Karlby for £80 a piece.

At the corner of wall D&C I would put an upright compressor, probably a Clarke VE15C150 boxed in and vented. £682.80

For a bike lift I would look at a Draper 37190. Has a good capacity and comes with lots of useful extras that you normally pay a premium for. Sink this into the floor.

So thats what I would start with. You could then use the other stuff you have to fill in where needed and sell of what you don't need it pay for it all.

Totals are.

Hilka GWC2 x 6 £540
Under cabinet lighting £50
2 x Clarke CBB230B £1437.60
Karlgy worktop x 2 £160
Vertical compressor £682.80
Draper 37190 £1220.

Total of £4090.40 and you will have the makings of a good work area.

Although you have all these cupboards for free I think they are a bit of a white elephant for a few reasons.

They are the wrong height. They are too tall to have a worktop on top and yet not floor to ceiling height so the tops just become dumping grounds. Yoy would have to add many thin shelves to get the same storage density as a cabinet with drawers and the drawers would have to be strong so not cheap. Remember a tool cab should have drawers that can hold a minimum 40KG a drawer.

The Bisley drawers units are not the pukka storage units you think they are. They are very good for storing small items such as parts, bulbs, lathe cutters etc but thay are terrible for tools, try fitting a few sets of pliers in a drawer and you will see what I mean. Try fitting a set of spanners in one drawer and you will really see where I am coming from.

Will you be adding a hand washing sink? if so fit the piping before anything else. Can even be a teporary measure using a garden hose and hose quick fit couplings. Add a water heater in the garage and hot water.

Will you want a cleaning station? Ideal place for this is on wall D near C. Away from doors in case of a fire. Again worktop above.

What type of door are you going to have, an up and over or roller?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:15 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I should quantify the budget, the ~£15k ish was incase it cost that much. I did not know how much a building like this should cost could have been £6k could have been £20k. It is mine and my partners money, it is to build a garage not to fill it. The garage is costing say £10k it means the rest will be used for other joint home stuff.

The amount of money you suggest is insane to me, I reckon all in I have about £1000 worth of tools. To work on £5-6k of bikes

Currently all the handtools and some of the power tools all fit in one cheap shoulder high tool cabinet they have been in there for 2 years without issue. Nothing has broken bent or caused issues. I do not feel the need to spend ££££ to replace something I have no issues with. I am so glad I did not listen to you before and Spend ££££ on tool cabinets. The stuff I have spent £200 on second hand has been fine. You mention about pliers and spanners, currently all my Spanners are in one draw of the cabinet,(50+ I'll be wall mounting them for ease of acces in the garage) no problem. All my pliers, cutters, wire Stripers, crimper and crimps are in one draw on the cabinet, again no problem. All of my Sockets (excluding impact) and ratchets are in one of these cheap draws, that's 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 metric from 6 to 36 including plug sockets and deep drive. I have all my hammers, chisels, files and pry bars in one draw(not including big bars, lump hammer and cold chisels) It's fine, the draw opens without struggle. You say a tool cab should hold 40kg a draw, I doubt I have more than 100kg of tools. I have ~15 draws.

Famous last words but I pretty much have all the hand tools I need. A couple of jobs recently highlighted some gaps, no 18mm plug socket (bought one), and I needed an 18mm offset ring spanner (borrowed and looking to buy) Other than that I will likely pick up some T Handle allen Keys one day and I have been lusting after a set of wera Joker ratchet spanners but I can't justify that much on them. If I find I'll need for it I'll buy it.

I get it you are using it every day it you would need decent kit heavy duty kit but I do not. I am not a full time mechanic, most optimistically I'll be spending a weekend a month in the garage.

Re sink, I had thought about fitting a butler sink, and doing the quick connect thing with the hose, but drainage is a concern, water would be fine in a soak away I reckon for the limited amount it would be used but Dumping chemicals/grease muck through it seems like a bad idea. I'll have a think when it's ready see what would work. A water heater is overkill, I'll have a kettle. Laughing

I agree on my benches, I do not think they will be permanent I'll see how I go. The Ikea one you suggested looking interesting Thumbs Up

As for the Cabinets they aren't all going in, I'll take my pick then the rest will be distributed amongst friends. Currently all my Garage shit is on plastic racking we found when we moved in. I am basing a lot of my decision on my Dads Garage. It is where I worked for years. I have taken many lessons, His is too dark, too full of shit, he also has office filing cabinets full of stuff, and our old kitchen in there as storage, his racking is old ikea shelves that were in my bedroom. None of this has had any issues with weight, the stuff I have is probably stronger. the garage will be bigger, have stronger storage and none of his stuff in it. I'll be golden.

There are 2 matching cabinets there actually are a good worktop height, at least for me.

The door will be roller shutter.

Bottom line, I do not currently have the need, or the willingness to spend ££££ on Storage. Maybe when I post pictures of it once everything is in it will become clearer as to how overkill that stuff would be for me. If I do need it I'll buy it but there are many things ahead it the priority list.

What I am trying to achieve is build a place I can keep all my bikes/tools/parts and have room to work on them. for an cheap as possible. Rather than Spend £3k on storage I'd rather buy a bike to work on TBH.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:19 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double door is a good idea though, I'll ask the builder about it.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:23 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the Draper lift over this Clarke One?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cml3-hydraulic-motorcylce-lift/

The Draper one is 3 times as much.

The Clarke one lifts less but still 450kg which is way more than anything I'd put on it. Pneumatic is a nice to have but not worth £800

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:53 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this compressor too.

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-06245-airmate-hurricane-v300-100-compressor.html

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
It is mine and my partners money, it is to build a garage not to fill it. The garage is costing say £10k it means the rest will be used for other joint home stuff.

I very much doubt the partner will complain about the money if it means you can sort problems with her car/bike/the house etc at no additional cost.

chris-red wrote:
The amount of money you suggest is insane to me

I know you think its insane but I see things differently to you, I can also count. (see point 5)

chris-red wrote:
I get it you are using it every day it you would need decent kit heavy duty kit but I do not. I am not a full time mechanic, most optimistically I'll be spending a weekend a month in the garage.

I don't use my tools every day, haven't for nearly a decade now but the experience of using them everyday has taught me some important lessons.
You using them a weekend a month is actually quite a lot, efficiency in how you work makes working on anything considerably easier.

As an example you almost got two stand up electric desks, a good quality one of those is probably about the same cost as the tool cabinet I suggested but you don't consider that extravagant, you actually like them although God alone knows what use you thought they would be in a garage.

chris-red wrote:
Re sink, I had thought about fitting a butler sink, and doing the quick connect thing with the hose, but drainage is a concern, water would be fine in a soak away I reckon for the limited amount it would be used but Dumping chemicals/grease muck through it seems like a bad idea. I'll have a think when it's ready see what would work. A water heater is overkill, I'll have a kettle. Laughing

A small shower unit is cheaper to run than a kettle for hot water and would supply hot water for a sink ok. You could have drainage go to the main drain via quick connects as well.

chris-red wrote:
Rather than Spend £3k on storage I'd rather buy a bike to work on TBH.

The storage I quoted actually came in at under £2000 and that was only if you purchased two of the big cabinets, just one which is all I suggested you need it came in at £1260ish including the Hilka wall cabinets. With this in mind please do feel free to continue exagerating for effect. Wink

chris-red wrote:
Double door is a good idea though, I'll ask the builder about it.

Triple if possible, the wider the better.

chris-red wrote:
Why the Draper lift over this Clarke One?

The Clarke one lifts less but still 450kg which is way more than anything I'd put on it. Pneumatic is a nice to have but not worth £800

I'm guessing you have never used a foot pedal lift. The first time you do you will wish you had an air lift.

It's a lot harder to sink a pedal lift into the ground, the pedals are in the way. being able to do that is essental to efficient use of space.
The side extensions on the draper make the lift considerably more versatile, makes a good welding bench or assembly bench.

Like everything I have suggested this is an efficiency/ease of use thing.

chris-red wrote:
I am so glad I did not listen to you before and Spend ££££ on tool cabinets. The stuff I have spent £200 on second hand has been fine.

Chris, there is little chance of you ever listening to me about any of this or anyone else as you have already made your decisions over what you want to do and that is ok. I am just of the opinion that you have this massive space and you are going to waste it because unless it has an electric plug on it you cannot see value in it.

Instead of continually saying that you think prices on tool cabinets are too high you could always take a ride down to the Machine Mart on Eastern Ave and take a look at the tool cabs, you might even realise why a 150kilo+ tool cabinet costs as much as it does.
Just think, that 2nd hand stuff could pay for a single cabinet assuming its not cheap rubbish.

chris-red wrote:

A waste of money.

A standard compressor, same power with a 50 litre tank and higher air displacement is less than 2/3rds the price and is maintainable which that isn't.

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I very much doubt the partner will complain about the money if it means you can sort problems with her car/bike/the house etc at no additional cost.

I do that now without the garage...

sickpup wrote:

As an example you almost got two stand up electric desks, a good quality one of those is probably about the same cost as the tool cabinet I suggested but you don't consider that extravagant, you actually like them although God alone knows what use you thought they would be in a garage.

I didn't get them in the end, I just have 2 desks. They aren't Extravagant when they are FREE. As I had said they ain't great but worst case scenario I find something better and cut them up and do a tip run. They will do for the time being.

sickpup wrote:

You could have drainage go to the main drain via quick connects as well.

That would require running a length of pipe to the house, not worth it IMO.

sickpup wrote:

I'm guessing you have never used a foot pedal lift. The first time you do you will wish you had an air lift.

My mechanic had one, it took like 30s seconds to get it to max height, maybe an issue if you are rolling bikes on and off but not when it will barely be used. As for efficiency I think I've rather have £800 than very minor amount of space.

sickpup wrote:

Chris, there is little chance of you ever listening to me about any of this or anyone else as you have already made your decisions over what you want to do and that is ok.

I am changing the door...

What I don't listen to is when you suggest things I can't afford/justify. If my Option is spend £2k on storage or £0 I'm gonna choose 0. If it doesn't work out then I might spend more.

You seem to believe a cheaper tool can't do the job. I saw a post recently on Facebook by Binge praising the Silverline spanners he bought x number of years ago for something like £20, He is a mobile mechanic, he uses them daily. Would you tell him he needs to buy dearer ones, despite much experience leading him to believe the contrary?

sickpup wrote:

Instead of continually saying that you think prices on tool cabinets are too high you could always take a ride down to the Machine Mart on Eastern Ave and take a look at the tool cabs, you might even realise why a 150kilo+ tool cabinet costs as much as it does.
Just think, that 2nd hand stuff could pay for a single cabinet assuming its not cheap rubbish.

I don't think I have said that, at least not for a while. I know why they are expensive, they are great I'd love one in the same way I'd love a Brand new WRX. I ain't gonna buy one thought cos I have driven about 12,000 miles in 5 years and my Fiesta does the job fine.

You seem to miss the point I made, the cheap one is doing everything I need it to, it has all my tools in it it holds them, the drawers open easily and then close again. So why should I buy more expensive ones?

Say I come back in 2 years time time with my Office Cabinets and cheap tool boxes and everything is doing fine, nothing has fallen apart and I haven't felt the need to replace them. Will I still be wrong about using them Despite saving ££££?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I do that now without the garage...

You have no sense of pride or quality in your work, your plumbing shows that. Maybe if you took pride in your work area it would translate across to your work.

chris-red wrote:
I think I've rather have £800 than very minor amount of space.

Not a minor amount. Its the difference between having a flat clear floor and having a bike lift in the middle of it.

chris-red wrote:
I am changing the door...

Well done, would you like a lollipop for admitting your initial design was shockingly bad?

chris-red wrote:
What I don't listen to is when you suggest things I can't afford/justify. If my Option is spend £2k on storage or £0 I'm gonna choose 0. If it doesn't work out then I might spend more.

So this'll be the THIRD time I write that I didn't say you should spend as much as you think I did.

chris-red wrote:
You seem to believe a cheaper tool can't do the job. I saw a post recently on Facebook by Binge praising the Silverline spanners he bought x number of years ago for something like £20, He is a mobile mechanic, he uses them daily. Would you tell him he needs to buy dearer ones, despite much experience leading him to believe the contrary?

Ask Binge if he is going to trade in his MAC Tools for Silverline, I expect I know the answer.
Silverline are rubbish, contrary to what G says they really are rubbish spanners. In fact you know Silverline is dire, remember the biscuit cutter?

chris-red wrote:
I don't think I have said that, at least not for a while. I know why they are expensive, they are great I'd love one in the same way I'd love a Brand new WRX. I ain't gonna buy one thought cos I have driven about 12,000 miles in 5 years and my Fiesta does the job fine.

At least not for a while! Laughing I think the phrase you used was something along the lines of anyone who spent more than a couple of hundred quid on a tool cabinet was insane, does that jog your memory at all?

chris-red wrote:
You seem to miss the point I made, the cheap one is doing everything I need it to, it has all my tools in it it holds them, the drawers open easily and then close again. So why should I buy more expensive ones?

Except it isn't doing everything you want it to which is why you have got all of this office furniture and Bisley drawer units.

This is a thread where you invite people to plan your garage, I presented you with a plan you then get uppity when I point out your office furniture isn't up to the job. Just deal with it.

chris-red wrote:
Say I come back in 2 years time time with my Office Cabinets and cheap tool boxes and everything is doing fine, nothing has fallen apart and I haven't felt the need to replace them. Will I still be wrong about using them Despite saving ££££?

Yes you will still be wrong. Whether you follow my suggestions or not is pretty much irrelevant but just making do when you can do better is a sad state.

You are right though, it is your money Thumbs Up

chris-red

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know where your magic money tree is and I'll buy everything you want Laughing

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 20:20 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice epoxy floors , white walls and white LED lighting.
I did this in my garage in Raleigh before I had to move for work.

Compressed air tank and a large sink would have been nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Let me know where your magic money tree is and I'll buy everything you want Laughing

Chris you said you had a £13000 budget and asked for help with plans. Turns out you don't have a £13000 budget you have £13000 savings which has been earmarked for other things and you didn't want help with plans.

I have everything I want and can afford what I need so I guess yes I have a magic money tree but it is mine, it's taken 20+ years to grow it so find your own Thumbs Up

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself agreeing with a lot of what sickpup has said, although he does have a rather combative way of posting. If you're building from scratch you really could make this fcking amazeballs without spending huge amounts.
I've worked in freezing garages and it didn't bother me, I've also worked in heated and insulated garages and it's a very different experience. Fitting tyres for example is a lot easier when they're warm.
But you're dead set on not insulating a new build, which boggles my mind.

Best of luck though, please post build pics as you go. Thumbs Up

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
...although he does have a rather combative way of posting.

I was trying to be nice for once Embarassed

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:42 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I was trying to be nice for once Embarassed

Trying, and failing it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a clean slate, a fresh start at building a 'proper' workspace. even if you only use it once a year, build it properly now so that when you do use it, its an efficient and enjoyable space to work in.

Personally i wouldn't just go spending thousands on all new stuff either but there are some things, key items, that i wish i had spent more on when i moved in 18months ago and had a new garage to organize. Things i can't justify replacing now because they still work.. just not as well as i'd hoped.

The first being the benches and storage. When i moved in, i bought one of these:
https://wellstimber.co.uk/product/solid-heavy-duty-workbench/

I got the 8 foot one instead of two smaller ones. I'd never had a solid bench to work with and it was genuinely a joy to use.
I mounted a small vice to it (again something i ended up replacing) and the thing supports just about any amount of weight i put on it..

It wasn't long before i realised that the storage underneath it was wasted space and in a home garage, efficient use of space is incredibly important... The same size bench, with two lots of 6 heavy duty drawers would have meant i didn't have the need for a stand alone tool cabinet, freeing up floor space somewhere else.

There were already old kitchen cupboards fitted to one of the walls. I could not justify replacing them just yet as they 'worked'. They're falling apart though now and the day that one of them breaks completely, i'm going to rip them out and replace them with a row of these (which are what sickpup mentioned)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-GWC2D-Garage-Wall-Cabinet/dp/B0150G6MEQ
Free is not always better.

My garage gets used almost every evening, tinkering with bikes, fixing the lawn mower when it stops working, fixing the cars, doing stuff for inside the house like cutting things to size, repairs etc etc Thumbs Up but mainly it seems its a storage area for everything that i'm not allowed to keep in the house Laughing I also built a 6 x 12 shed as 'storage'. No matter how big a space you have, you will find shit to fill it with

Things like a bike lift will make working on bikes easier.. storage and work bench will make EVERY job you do easier

Just my 2p though. Its all simple stuff but stuff i overlooked

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:16 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Chris you said you had a £13000 budget and asked for help with plans. Turns out you don't have a £13000 budget you have £13000 savings which has been earmarked for other things and you didn't want help with plans.

Read again, that never happened. I came in with the plans, I asked for ideas on the layout, i.e where to put things. I explained in one sentence that the budget was £13k but I didn't want to spend it all on the garage if I could help it. I subsequently explained that 13k was incase the building cost that much.

Out of interest how are your projects going, on the road yet? The Land Rover, the homologation GSXR etc. I'm just wondering if all these little efficiencies you've spend loads on have helped. Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:17 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you add a bondage swing so you two can make up already Wink

Was enjoying the planning, got sidetracked. Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Out of interest how are your projects going, on the road yet? The Land Rover, the homologation GSXR etc. I'm just wondering if all these little efficiencies you've spend loads on have helped. Wink

Handbags at dawn Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
you have a clean slate, a fresh start at building a 'proper' workspace. even if you only use it once a year, build it properly now so that when you do use it, its an efficient and enjoyable space to work in.

Personally i wouldn't just go spending thousands on all new stuff either but there are some things, key items, that i wish i had spent more on when i moved in 18months ago and had a new garage to organize. Things i can't justify replacing now because they still work.. just not as well as i'd hoped.

The first being the benches and storage. When i moved in, i bought one of these:
https://wellstimber.co.uk/product/solid-heavy-duty-workbench/

I got the 8 foot one instead of two smaller ones. I'd never had a solid bench to work with and it was genuinely a joy to use.
I mounted a small vice to it (again something i ended up replacing) and the thing supports just about any amount of weight i put on it..

It wasn't long before i realised that the storage underneath it was wasted space and in a home garage, efficient use of space is incredibly important... The same size bench, with two lots of 6 heavy duty drawers would have meant i didn't have the need for a stand alone tool cabinet, freeing up floor space somewhere else.

There were already old kitchen cupboards fitted to one of the walls. I could not justify replacing them just yet as they 'worked'. They're falling apart though now and the day that one of them breaks completely, i'm going to rip them out and replace them with a row of these (which are what sickpup mentioned)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-GWC2D-Garage-Wall-Cabinet/dp/B0150G6MEQ
Free is not always better.

My garage gets used almost every evening, tinkering with bikes, fixing the lawn mower when it stops working, fixing the cars, doing stuff for inside the house like cutting things to size, repairs etc etc Thumbs Up but mainly it seems its a storage area for everything that i'm not allowed to keep in the house Laughing I also built a 6 x 12 shed as 'storage'. No matter how big a space you have, you will find shit to fill it with

Things like a bike lift will make working on bikes easier.. storage and work bench will make EVERY job you do easier

Just my 2p though. Its all simple stuff but stuff i overlooked

I like that bench Seems very reasonable too, Although the bottom looks like a nasty trap for errant nuts and bolts, how are you finding that?

I agree free is not always better, but sometimes it could be, worth finding out before spending thousands. Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:23 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Handbags at dawn Laughing

He started it Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Oh so bitchy Chris considering I don't actually have a garage to work in as you well know.

The land rover although far from finished can be on the road tomorrow if you want to pay the insurance (no MOT or Tax required)and the Homologation GSXR was never off the road other than I can't be bothered to get it MOT'd and Taxed, bit old for race bikes these days.

Now the ER6 with 90000+ is still running fine. The Red Deauville needs the heads replacing, the Black Deauville is still fine, the new Silver Deauville is starting to come apart today now the centre stand is no longer seized so that'll be headraces, fork seals, electrics, exhaust and full service to be done over the next few weeks. I have 2 or 3 internal doors to hang over the next few weeks and various other things to do, all without a garage so not really sure what your point is, please explain? Of course if I had somewhere warm dry and set out I could do all of these things quicker but I don't, I do all my mechanics outside.

As to my little efficiencies they mean I am still running bikes with 90+ on the clocks, still running heated jackets that are what 8 years old, Still doing all the work to my own bikes and truck, still getting paid on the side seperate from my main job to repair other peoples heated jackets (and bikes when I want to do it), still picking up bikes cheap because I can do the work to them easily but yes I could do so much more with a garage.

You really do try and get nasty when people don't agree with you don't you.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:50 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Oh so bitchy Chris considering I don't actually have a garage to work in as you well know.

The land rover although far from finished can be on the road tomorrow if you want to pay the insurance (no MOT or Tax required)and the Homologation GSXR was never off the road other than I can't be bothered to get it MOT'd and Taxed, bit old for race bikes these days.

Now the ER6 with 90000+ is still running fine. The Red Deauville needs the heads replacing, the Black Deauville is still fine, the new Silver Deauville is starting to come apart today now the centre stand is no longer seized so that'll be headraces, fork seals, electrics, exhaust and full service to be done over the next few weeks. I have 2 or 3 internal doors to hang over the next few weeks and various other things to do, all without a garage so not really sure what your point is, please explain? Of course if I had somewhere warm dry and set out I could do all of these things quicker but I don't, I do all my mechanics outside.

As to my little efficiencies they mean I am still running bikes with 90+ on the clocks, still running heated jackets that are what 8 years old, Still doing all the work to my own bikes and truck, still getting paid on the side seperate from my main job to repair other peoples heated jackets (and bikes when I want to do it), still picking up bikes cheap because I can do the work to them easily but yes I could do so much more with a garage.

You really do try and get nasty when people don't agree with you don't you.

Was only a joke... I thought you did have a garage outback, a fair sized breeze block building if I remember correctly?

My TDM has 98k on it and still going strong. Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:15 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I wouldn't bother with the side door and window. I would fit a big patio door. This would mean easy access, easy to move things into the garden while working inside to create room without all the passers by seeing inside. Means with the doors open you are no longer 'in' the garage you are 'in' the garden especially when the other half is in the garden, you are still with her. Mates come round there is no space issue in the garage, just open the doors. Garden stuff no longer needs to go through the house, so many good reasons for it and it wouldn't cost much more. Less bricks to pay for just a lintel and a patio door.

I like that idea.

It will make your garage a lot more usable and not needing to have the main door open will provide a nice upgrade to your garage security.

And wtf @ those storage units / desks? Laughing They look like poncy office stuff rather than strong garage stuff. Yeah sure they're free but that doesn't mean they're suitable so flog them on eBay and then you can either build some more appropriate units yourself or buy some.

You want to use all the space from the floor right the way up to the roof otherwise it's just a waste.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4