Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Household Tools

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Household Tools Reply with quote

What would the contents be of dream household toolbox? With the sole purpose of keeping your other half out of your workshop and away from your 'proper' tools.

I've got one of those 'I could fix it myself if you'd let me use your tools' type. And no, I will not let her chisel away old filler with my nice flat head screwdriver. Even if I'm allowed to use it as a make shift pry bar

I've previously tried to fob her off with the standard cheap-shop pink tools in a blow molded case with no lid + 1 nearly straight ikea hex key. Weirdly, that wasn't good enough.

I know a variety pack from amazon would be cheap, but where's the fun in that!?

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screwdrivers, flat and Philips, oh and a little terminal one
Allen keys
Hammer (for picture nails etc)
Knife
Electricians tape
Tape measure

That’s about all I keep in the house and can do most things without resorting to a visit to the garage.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is to have two toolboxes or a toolbag that you keep all your general household diy tools in. And only buy tools of a quality that you would use for jobs too. Sure theres the chance they might ruin a decent Stanley wood chisel, screwdriver or pair of cutters etc.

But the only important thing is keeping your other half away from your workshop quality tools and equipment for working on your bikes or car. A locked tool trolley/roll top cabinet in the shed/garage is the answer, and never mix up your workshop tools with your DIY gear. Sure it's annoying if a good screwdriver or pair of pliers gets broken by a well meaning DIY hero. But it's would be unforgiven if it was your Halfords professional or Snap on socket set or a set of JIS drivers etc.

Keep the good stuff for yourself, and any older or slightly worn blunt tools put in an old tool box for general DIY. Make sure they know where to find these tools easily and lock down the really good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The answer is to have two toolboxes or a toolbag that you keep all your general household diy tools in. And only buy tools of a quality that you would use for jobs too. Sure theres the chance they might ruin a decent Stanley wood chisel, screwdriver or pair of cutters etc.

But the only important thing is keeping your other half away from your workshop quality tools and equipment for working on your bikes or car. A locked tool trolley/roll top cabinet in the shed/garage is the answer, and never mix up your workshop tools with your DIY gear. Sure it's annoying if a good screwdriver or pair of pliers gets broken by a well meaning DIY hero. But it's would be unforgiven if it was your Halfords professional or Snap on socket set or a set of JIS drivers etc.

Keep the good stuff for yourself, and any older or slightly worn blunt tools put in an old tool box for general DIY. Make sure they know where to find these tools easily and lock down the really good stuff.

I totally agree with this.

Also, my wife loves her Sissy Driver
https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.Ak_nIkU0p_9hLVriIQMPaAHaFh&w=273&h=203&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Junk, butit's hers & keeps her happy and away from my expensive screwdrivers.

Just don't give her one as a birthday present. Embarassed

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.harisingh.com/images/hswmnrule3.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep a small tool box in the house

with a few essentials in like hammer screw drivers etc

most of my tools are in the garage which is locked and the wife has no key so im safe Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other half has never gone near so much as a screwdriver in my house. Despite the fact she's an engineer. She's a lazy bastard.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:35 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco do a set that is about £30-40 if I remember It looks excellent for someone wanting cheap tools, it has everything for light DIY, hammer, screw Drivers, Sockets/Spanners, Allen Keys, pliars etc. I think it's about 150peices

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Costco do a set that is about £30-40 if I remember It looks excellent for someone wanting cheap tools, it has everything for light DIY, hammer, screw Drivers, Sockets/Spanners, Allen Keys, pliars etc. I think it's about 150peices

Way too many pieces for a woman.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntax error: Unexpected use of the words "tools" and "woman" in the same string.

Please repeat but include the word "utensils".

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that £40 is a good amount for a little kit and have decided on;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LCQUESS/?coliid=I3EEZWFB3UNZG8&colid=2BKZZCIAW1XP7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Household Tools Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I've got one of those 'I could fix it myself if you'd let me use your tools' type. And no, I will not let her chisel away old filler with my nice flat head screwdriver

I have to say, TBH it's more the using of my good wood chisels as a screwdriver or prybar that ticks me off Brick Wall

fatjames wrote:
I've decided that £40 is a good amount for a little kit and have decided on https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LCQUESS/?coliid=I3EEZWFB3UNZG8&colid=2BKZZCIAW1XP7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

You want to get her one of these; I'm reliably informed it really pisses them off YOU PATRONISING FUCKING ARSEHOLE Wink
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076X4G71Q

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to take my tools in to work tomorrow

I am meant to be letting the other lad use them to change his saw on his bench

fuck that I am doing the job or he can find his own tools to sort it
this is a bloke who I caught trying to undo a 12mm nut with pliers when we had a spanner in the works sparse tool box

and fucked up an oil change on his wr125x by snapping the sump plug two days before his cbt (this being a Friday afternoon because he used a set of mole grips
every nut on his bike he has done anything on is chewed up as he was using af spanners on metric bolts as he didn't have the correct ones
i would prefer to lend the apprentice my stuff rather then him and he hadnt got the sense to realise a piller drill i was using was on (rumbles away quite noisily) and caught his arm on the drill when he lent across it to get a pen

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Household Tools Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

You want to get her one of these; I'm reliably informed it really pisses them off YOU PATRONISING FUCKING ARSEHOLE Wink

Oh that is so cool. That's worth a couple of nights on the boat while she cools off. Thumbs Up Laughing

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Household Tools Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Yeah, unsuccessfully tried that..

fatjames wrote:
I've previously tried to fob her off with the standard cheap-shop pink tools in a blow molded case with no lid

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put your most worn least precious general DIY tools in a tool box (normal quality stuff like Stanley etc) that's easily accessible by whoever wants to use them.

As long as your most expensive prized tools are kept safe and definitely anything workshop/bike related, then just let the rest become a casualty of war. It'll give you more need and understanding to why you need to keep buying new household tools.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Just put your most worn least precious general DIY tools in a tool box (normal quality stuff like Stanley etc) that's easily accessible by whoever wants to use them.

As long as your most expensive prized tools are kept safe and definitely anything workshop/bike related, then just let the rest become a casualty of war. It'll give you more need and understanding to why you need to keep buying new household tools.

Who keeps toolboxes in the house? Just shove tools in one of the dozen or so drawers that modern kitchens seem to be riddled with.
We have a drawer with flat and crosshead screw drivers (two sizes in each), tape measure, pliers snub and point nosed, electric socket tester, Stanley knife, pencil, claw hammer, adjustable wrench and a pair of scissors. All, except the scissors, were sourced from surplus tools from my toolsets, I use them for odd jobs rather than head out to the man cave every time I need to tweak something so there's no point putting shit in there

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife is fairly competent with tools and she knows where they are...

... but the tool box is too big and heavy for her to lift from it's snug spot on a shelf under the stairs so she just has me do it Very Happy

She also knows not to use a tool for a purpose it wasn't designed for.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Who keeps toolboxes in the house? Just shove tools in one of the dozen or so drawers that modern kitchens seem to be riddled with.
We have a drawer with flat and crosshead screw drivers (two sizes in each), tape measure, pliers snub and point nosed, electric socket tester, Stanley knife, pencil, claw hammer, adjustable wrench and a pair of scissors. All, except the scissors, were sourced from surplus tools from my toolsets, I use them for odd jobs rather than head out to the man cave every time I need to tweak something so there's no point putting shit in there

ive just moved loads back into the house as I needed to put an actual car in the garage Laughing Laughing

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does she have a key to the garage?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:

Bit cruel making her wash the clothes in the kitchen sink when the washer is kept in the garage. Laughing

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
el_oso wrote:

Bit cruel making her wash the clothes in the kitchen sink when the washer is kept in the garage. Laughing

Does she get on with the washer?

I've done away with having a separate washer and cleaner. She does both now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1