Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does anyonemake "fun" small cars any more?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i have a love for old Jap stuff ( and some modern Kei stuff) and it doesn't all have to be Riced / ruined / scene tax'd to hell.

Plenty to choose from but as has been said, it depends how much tinkering you're prepared to get involved in.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iff she wants convertible again

bit of a not so fun but possible one

Peugeot 206cc or 207cc depending on budget

may not be as fun to drive but fits all other spec really
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:17 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Peugeot 206cc or 207cc depending on budget

Ugh. My mum had one (207cc), and she's hardly the most petrol head-y person out there, and she ditched it for a Golf Diesel due to how bad it was to drive.

They are hateful hateful cars. Any convertible that wasn't originally designed from the outset to be a convertible will not be fun. It's that simple. Especially a convertible that has to have huge steel counterweights in order to function.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:45 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is now softening on the MX5 option, got her to test drive one yesterday. A brand new one is a bit out of the price range but she could probably go a used "new shape" one.

The Fiat Spider is HUGE in camparison, despite being effectively the same car.

I have suggested she could potentially go for two cars, "downsize" her copen to a lower mileage one of the 660 turbo models or something else oddball and small to keep for fun and get a dull electric car for her commute. She does like the look of those Honda Beats.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used new shape mx5 are a nice thing to drive - would not complain at all.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not quite a direct Copen replacement, a good used MX5 is a nice little roadster to drive and has more chassis and brakes than engine which is always fun.

A 150mph+ weak, flexing chassis can't steer or grip for shit kind of car isn't generally fun.

At least if the end conclusion to this thread does not involve a nee Mini, Beetle, or Fiat Abarth POS then all is good in the world. Laughing

And we don't need any more talk of Peugeot 206CC's as it's a terrible option for anyone that actually likes driving a car.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:23 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far as I know, the MX5 is the first RWD car she's ever driven on the road and she noticed the difference even on the short test drive. Even though she didn't know it was RWD or what difference to expect. "It just moves itself round the corners really smoothly, you hardly have to move the steering wheel." was the comment.

Good lass. She went on a supercar experience day at Croft too and preferred the Ginetta G20 to the Audi R8.

If reliability and weatherproofness wasn't a major factor, I'd be pushing for a Caterham...

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the previous model with the folding HT - best of both worlds and some really nice low mileage ones around.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:45 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
preferred the Ginetta G20 to the Audi R8.

If reliability and weatherproofness wasn't a major factor, I'd be pushing for a Caterham...

Quote:

I'm looking round for a new-ish, fairly low-end of the market small car that looks a little out of the ordinary. Ideally small and light.

Fits that part of the bill nicely!...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ginetta-G40R/292574173458

Okay, listed fuel economy not so great; but you do get 200hp and 840kg.

Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Fits that part of the bill nicely!...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ginetta-G40R/292574173458

Okay, listed fuel economy not so great; but you do get 200hp and 840kg.

Smile

Quick release steering wheel. If you need to remove that to get in and out of the car, well, I don't think that would be high on a ladies 'want' list. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:42 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tut Tut - you're obviously not a salesman.

"Easily accessories your car to match your hand bag and current hair style with our quick-swap steering wheel system."

If we're going for the stereotypical 'ladies want list' Razz.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

She would have that at the drop of a hat. It would spend its entire life on the verge facing back the way she came.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:55 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get aftermarket traction control; to ensure you end up in the verge at higher speed, facing the way you started Smile.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:35 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh. Someone suggested a Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ. Maybe not all that economic but they do look fun. I shall have to get her to sit in one.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought these would be nice cars to drive, but they were very small and cramped inside. I bet there's no more room in one than a 3rd generation Mazda RX7?

My Rover is huge inside by comparison, and though no one buys a coupe for the size of the back seat, I wouldn't buy a car that I couldn't sit in the back of if I had to for a short distance.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:47 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back seating is irrelevant. Current car is a 2-seater. I confidently predict any rear seats would spend their entire life lying flat for transportation of bicycles.

Amazingly, she can get her partially dismantled 700C road bike, complete with aero bars, in the boot of the copen.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:35 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a sportsmobile, but I hear she likes it rough and mucky, so could you stomach another Jimny?

Plenty of old ones around, although the new one looks hilarious.

https://i.imgur.com/qpau2QD.png?1

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:15 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an Audi TT? If you go for the TDI, get pretty good consumption and even with the diesel, the weight starts a one and quarter tonnes if you don't go for the quattro.

Or a BMW 1 series coupe diesel/2 series?

Pushing your budget a lot, but quite possibly an appreciating asset if bought now - on the two seater Audis, you can get an aging R8 for £30k now! Not so great on fuel and running costs to make up for the appreciation potential, however.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift sports are a good laugh. Not the new Turbo one though, they're just not the same, apparently.

Or go slightly older and even lighter, Ignis Sport. But they are cheap and have been owned by cheapo teenagers on the most part. But more recent swift sports will be in good nick. Revvy, engaging and good performers on our roads with economies in the 40s of mpg.

Oddball. Toyota MR-S/MR2 mkIII. Brilliant to drive, the 190 bhp engine, with the Lift in the rev range adds some more character. Can be soft top for sunny days ... mpg can be up towards 35s or so but less if you flog it.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Oddball. Toyota MR-S/MR2 mkIII. Brilliant to drive, the 190 bhp engine, with the Lift in the rev range adds some more character. Can be soft top for sunny days ... mpg can be up towards 35s or so but less if you flog it.

I'm pretty sure the MR-S/MR-2 MKIII was only ever available with the 140 bhp engine, its the Gen 7 Celica that had the option of the upgraded 190 engine with Lift

If you are after quirky, then it might be worth a look at the Hyundai Veloster, TBH i had totally erased these from my memory as you just don't see any about, but i ended up following one home from work yesterday (a 1.6 Turbo model) and it didn't half shift, and the styling has grown on my since i first saw them

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 12:09 - 19 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the MR-S/MR-2 MKIII was only ever available with the 140 bhp engine, its the Gen 8 Celica that had the option of the upgraded 190 engine with Lift

Yeah, I meant, get one that has had the 190 transplanted.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the MR-S/MR-2 MKIII was only ever available with the 140 bhp engine, its the Gen 8 Celica that had the option of the upgraded 190 engine with Lift

Yeah, I meant, get one that has had the 190 transplanted.

Ahh right

I was looking to get one after my Gen 5 Celica finally gave in to the dreaded rust, but was amazed they didn't do a factory 190 version, and there was no way i was going to drop down to a 140 after having a GT4 CS edition

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Ahh right

I was looking to get one after my Gen 5 Celica finally gave in to the dreaded rust, but was amazed they didn't do a factory 190 version, and there was no way i was going to drop down to a 140 after having a GT4 CS edition

My missus had the Gen 7 140, it's not a bad engine to be fair, quite good when you're revving it. We just couldn't kill it!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
Ahh right

My missus had the Gen 7 140, it's not a bad engine to be fair, quite good when you're revving it. We just couldn't kill it!

I know the early Gen 7 140's (i did say gen 8 earlier, my mistake) did suffer from the "Death Rattle" due to the pistons going a lovely oval shape and burning far too much oil, causing the bottom end to go

Toyota's solution......................... fit a longer dipstick and put more oil in so it won't happen between scheduled services Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:52 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Not exactly a sportsmobile, but I hear she likes it rough and mucky, so could you stomach another Jimny?

Plenty of old ones around, although the new one looks hilarious.

She drove my Jimny once then refused to drive it again. Ever. It would land up on its side.

Jimnys used to have a chassis and so were nigh-on indestructable, I don't think the modern ones do any more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3