Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Older Biker buys 2008 GSX 650 F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Casca041
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:42 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Older Biker buys 2008 GSX 650 F Reply with quote

Hell'o to Everyone,
This is my first post on your forum.
I purchased a used motorcycle this week. It has been awhile since I last owned a motorcycle. It has not been easy to resist the temptation during nearly 30 years. I rode from the time that I was 8 years old until I was 36. When I stopped it was not due to fear or accidents. The more serious accidents had become fodder for stories about me being a hood ornament for a distance. I cannot fully explain why I succumbed and purchased a 2008 Suzuki GSX 650 F. My wife has listened to my comments about wanting a motorcycle. Every year these comments would begin during the thaw of spring and continue to the first snowfall of the following winter. She always encouraged me to buy whatever motorcycle and gear that I desired. I resisted.
I have owned and/or driven bigger, faster motorcycles, but I do not remember them feeling this heavy(475 lbs. dry). It is time for push ups and the weight bench. I am almost 1 foot taller and 100 lbs. heavier than the woman that was offering to sell the motorcycle to me. It was humbling to see her have less apparent difficulty than I.
I have the know seller of this 650 for more than a decade and was so comfortable with the bike being as she presented it, I offered to buy it
without having seen it. She insisted that I try the bike prior to buying.
I own it now. It is in a licensed shop being inspected and serviced for the next week. I had better be ready when I go to the shop to get it.
I probably will not post often (low post count) but the post will drag on when I do.
Thank you,
Cas

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:01 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in the States and do you know this forum is UK-based? I'm just curious.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Casca041
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:34 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and yes and it is often good to be curious.
Thank you,
Cas

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:40 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casca041 wrote:
Yes ,yes and it is often good to be curious.
Thank you,
Cas

You're in the right place. More than a few of the membership here have exhibited curious behaviour!

Welcome Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:04 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Bandit 650 in a frock, so perfectly decent, and all bikes should have hydraulic clutches.

However, yes, the weight of those things, and they don't carry it low either.

It'll be fine once it's moving, but be careful where you stop, and don't let it lean over.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the "be careful where you stop" point - always try to halt on the rear brake. I appreciate this sounds pedantic but if you're concerned about weight issues and so forth, your nervousness can translate into stability problems at low speed. If there is any grit, or - around fuel pumps when filling up - any spilled fuel on the ground, the bike's front wheel can easily shift left or right a couple of inches, if you bring the bike to a stop with too much front brake. Next thing you know, it's over and lying on its side. Therefore, during the final couple of feet when halting, bring the bike to a standstill on the rear brake. Honestly - it's a good habit to get into.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

confidence in moving the bike around, pushing it or riding slow speeds is familiarity.

The local bike garage I take mine to, he pushes them round like he's moving pushbikes!

I can happily move my Hornet round my back yard holding only the grab handle at the back and standing behind it so no wonder the lady selling the bike was more confident than you moving it Smile

it'll come in time,

As will riding it, steady away, take your time and get used to it, as already said, modern bike brakes may be sharper than you remember your previous bikes being and it's good advice to use the rear for slow riding / pulling up until you've got used to it.

enjoy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1