Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Screw Size to install Fender Eliminator

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

satx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Screw Size to install Fender Eliminator Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 2015 CBR650F and bought this Fender Eliminator (https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Eliminator-Honda-CBR650F-2014-2016/dp/B071G1S9WJ).
Everything looks fine but I am unable to unscrew the marked screws (See pictures). I have tried screw drivers/allen keys but nothing seems to work. Any idea what size they are and what should I do?

The screws can be seen clearly in the instructions to fender eliminator installation too (https://www.motodynamic.com/installation/FE-H14CBR650F.pdf)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:59 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you've mullahed the heads. Best bet is to belt something slightly too big in to them to get purchase and then replace.

satx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:18 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! Probably the previous owner did that because I found it that way. Don't want to make it worse, so looking for solutions.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It looks like you've mullahed the heads. Best bet is to belt something slightly too big in to them to get purchase and then replace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:38 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a torx bit thats slightly too big and hammer it in.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

satx wrote:
You're right! Probably the previous owner did that because I found it that way. Don't want to make it worse, so looking for solutions.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The instructions say you're not going to re-use those two bolts anyway. Were they Torx heads? Is there a nut on the other end?

They look as though they're standing proud of the bracket rather then lying flush, so you might be able to grip them with pliers and turn them. If Nobby's suggestion doesn't work my last resort would be to hacksaw a slot across the centre of each head (a Dremel-type hobby tool with a cutting disk makes light work of it if you can get in there) and then use a big flat-headed screwdriver on them.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to see but maybe they were torx originally?
Cutting a slot somehow would be the first thing to try, you could drill down inside and hammer something in.
It will be hard to grip the outside but anything is worth trying.
A squirt of WD40 or similar underneath where the threads go into the framw member won't hurt, it's probably gritty and corroded.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:33 - 16 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What nobby said. Thumbs Up

Those bolts are dead anyway so smacking a torx bit into them is a good thing to do.

satx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:55 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I used dremel to cut a slot in the bolts and used a flat-end screw driver. It worked like a charm!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1