Tyres

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Latitude
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:15 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Just bought a zx6r j2 after 2 years off bikes and its got odd tyres on. Nothing major but a worn bt 014 on the front and newish bt023 on the rear.

Probably going to wait until the front needs doing and change them both out just wondering what bt 016s are like as they are cheap.

Riding will be fair weather and the odd track day.

Not new to the forum been a member since 2007ish just couldnt remember my username password combo...

Regards

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:24 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Tyres Reply with quote

Latitude wrote:

Not new to the forum been a member since 2007ish just couldnt remember my username password combo...

Regards

You could just click the 'forgot my password' button and reset it through the e-mail address obviously can't remembr either.

How about you tell us your last pseudo?

Latitude
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:09 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my first one was Rottweiler (just checked) and the next Aspire.

I couldn't match my Username combo with the old email.

Rottweiler
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=176831&highlight=

Aspire
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=298239&highlight=

2008 Christ time flies Shocked

Latitude
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:21 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways now I have proven myself bt 016s??

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latitude wrote:
Anyways now I have proven myself bt 016s??

I've used the BT021's on a couple of my bikes, and currently fitted to my 9r without any problems.... and they are fairly cheap (IMO)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just but 023's for my A1P zx6r.

got 16's on at the minute but they were pretty shagged when I bought it.

023 were great on my Thundercat. £145/pair off eBay.

Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put B-stone T30s on my zx9r and they were still legal after 10k (!).

Holy fuck though - the last 1500 miles up to 10k were absolutely horrendous on the technical stuff. I will *never* skimp on tyres again.

Now running Metz M7RRs - wow, it was like christmas day riding home on those.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Latitude
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:56 - 17 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if they still made bt023s. If I can get a cheap one ill stick it on if not ill upgrade to a set of whatever has superseded them when I get the wheels painted.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Tyres. Reply with quote

Bt023 are a 'sport touring' tyre, superceded by the T30, itself now replaced by the T31. If you're buying 023s, check manufacture date on wall of tyre. Bt021, bt020 are sportier tyres. Rather like the m7rr Tsg recommends.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:54 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use BT021, ever. Wear like a 50p and have the wet grip equivalent of soap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

I've used the BT021's on a couple of my bikes, and currently fitted to my 9r without any problems

Shocked
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:25 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

pretty sure I have BT021s on my f4i, my first big bike so not sure if this is a good or bad thing Laughing any recommendations for what I should change to when the time comes? I ride 365 days a year (unless we get a tiny bit of snow and ive learnt my lesson now not to try and ride in snow)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
pretty sure I have BT021s on my f4i, my first big bike so not sure if this is a good or bad thing Laughing any recommendations for what I should change to when the time comes? I ride 365 days a year (unless we get a tiny bit of snow and ive learnt my lesson now not to try and ride in snow)

Can't help with pure sports tyres, not within my experience, but any of the Michelin Pilot Roads are excellent for all-round use: PR2, cheap, but rears don't last too well. PR3s are liked by many here, but I haven't tried them. PR4s are excellent, and have been my choice for the last 4 or 5 sets of tyres I've gone through.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:34 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Do not use BT021, ever. Wear like a 50p and have the wet grip equivalent of soap.

This is my opinion of them as well, first bike came with an almost new set on and in anything other than bone dry perfect conditions they were shit and even in perfect conditions they were only ok.

Unfortunately my new bike was delivered with a set on as well, plenty of meat on them but I'm already getting quotes for some Angel STs to replace them. Which are well priced from my local guy and perfect for my year round commute.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

This is my opinion of them as well

Third opinion by me. I had them on my Sprint and they were terrible in the wet, and the rear grew two 'humps' either side of the tyre where the compound edges met. They were binned in a couple of thousand miles.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Tyres. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Bt023 are a 'sport touring' tyre

These were on my current bike when I bought it, and tbh, they gave me little more confidence than the 021s, and also seemed to wear funny on the front, bad feathering.

Latitude
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:17 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had PR2 they were okay squares off easily though. And had M5s on they were ok.

2CTs are cheap might get those but pattern looks like PR2s though...

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:04 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

Can't help with pure sports tyres, not within my experience, but any of the Michelin Pilot Roads are excellent for all-round use: PR2, cheap, but rears don't last too well. PR3s are liked by many here, but I haven't tried them. PR4s are excellent, and have been my choice for the last 4 or 5 sets of tyres I've gone through.

Cheers, I've seen many favour the PRs, as I ride everyday think I will switch these ones to PR4s when it starts to get a bit wet again after summer

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:46 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Bridgestones since they discontinued the 010. I much prefer Pirellis. I've had a few bikes with Bridgestones on, and they just had no feel to speak of.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Bt016's on my 636 in 2006 and they were shite then

T30's are great on Turismo veloce I borrow sometimes

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I hate Bridgestones since they discontinued the 010. I much prefer Pirellis. I've had a few bikes with Bridgestones on, and they just had no feel to speak of.

This is how they last 10k, I suppose.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latitude wrote:
I’ve had PR2 they were okay squares off easily though.

I never had that problem with them, either on the Fazer thou or the Street Triple, but probably depends on where and how you ride etc. Nearly all my riding was for pleasure, so not much motorway, straight A roads 'n' such.
The rears were only lasting me about 4000 miles on the Fazer though. I'd still consider them if* I was hard-up and needed a tyre, but at those mileages, it'd really be a false economy.

*If, he says. Lol. Rolling Eyes

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone any experience with tyres on a c6f zx6r?

I've been running a 120/70 front without realising but manual says it should be a 120/65, not sure how much difference switching will make.

Looking for sports tyres, always had Bridgestone bt's but just see bad review after bad review. The pilot roads get good reviews but a bit too tourer/commuter for me I think plus there doesn't seem to be a massive choice for 120/65 fronts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had my ninja for 18 months.... it's 2 1/2 years now and it's still the same rear tyre on there that I got fitted a couple of days after I got the bike (OK it needs replaced now as it's down to the wear markers), but that's been about 8,000 miles, a few burnouts and basically riding like a tit.... in the near desert conditions that we always have in Scotland Rolling Eyes

https://i.imgur.com/shj9CzM.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I thought I had my ninja for 18 months.... it's 2 1/2 years now and it's still the same rear tyre on there that I got fitted a couple of days after I got the bike (OK it needs replaced now as it's down to the wear markers), but that's been about 8,000 miles, a few burnouts and basically riding like a tit.... in the near desert conditions that we always have in Scotland Rolling Eyes

https://i.imgur.com/shj9CzM.jpg

Ya cain't miss whatcha ain't never had...
Imagine how much more of a tit you could ride like if you had decent rubber on there Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2