Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DVSA - "Make your Motorbike riding more enjoyable"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:53 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: DVSA - "Make your Motorbike riding more enjoyable" Reply with quote

This just dropped into my inbox. My thoughts on reading it were that possibly more than the 319 motorbikers who die crash their cars whilst Drink Driving despite being protected by airbags and seatbelts.

Are the testers/assessors slack on work?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/motorcyclists-encouraged-to-make-their-riding-more-enjoyable

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVSA wrote:
You’ll get for a ride out with them for between 1 and 2 hours ...

If they can't be bothered to proof read prior to publishing they do not belong on this planet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be interested in this but, the sceptic in me fears it could be abused just to bring some extra revenue in.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:56 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a crossover thread.

Enhanced
DVSA Dereks don't even need to be DVSA Dereks. As far as I can see, these "trainers" don't need to be trained in training.

https://www.gov.uk/dvsa-enhanced-rider-scheme-trainer

Loving that they can have an A2 licence, but must have had it for 3 years... without bothering to upgrade to A. Super Mega Enhanced.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it significantly reduces insurance costs I'm struggling to see which parts of it are "more fun" or "enjoyable."

Perhaps they teach you movie tricks like learning how to ride and fire a MAC-10 at the same time? Or instantly riding off on some mission without waiting for the carbs to warm up.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Loving that they can have an A2 licence, but must have had it for 3 years... without bothering to upgrade to A. Super Mega Enhanced.

Next page says you need to be Advanced. RoSPA, IAM etc.
https://www.gov.uk/dvsa-enhanced-rider-scheme-trainer/ways-to-become-a-trainer

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
If they can't be bothered to proofread prior to publishing they do not belong on this planet.

FTFY

Wink

Erm…Uranus is popular, I hear . . .

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do an Enhanced Riderey coarse a couple of years ago. There were the IAM types saying, "but the system" who I chose to try and blank out.

It was useful, I seem to remember, I think more for actually talking about overtaking ... then we got a road ride when I was expected to just go for a blast around some country lanes followed by a RoSPA man who was more surprised that my 20-odd year old bike could actually shift.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I was expected to just go for a blast around some country lanes followed by a RoSPA man who was more surprised that my 20-odd year old bike could actually shift.

Up to an indicated 60mph? Whistle

I find it a rather peculiar scheme. When it was aimed at Born Again Bikers, I could sort of see the point as a refresher. But they're effectively saying that they think that newly passed bikers aren't up to it[*], so either training or tests are insufficient. And here's a whole lot of trainers who are better / different from DAS trainers / DVSA Dereks / and RoSPA / IAM.

It begs the question of why you wouldn't stick with your current trainer, or just go on a RoSPA / IAM course. I really can't see the point of ERS.

[*] Oh, and I was made aware of ERS when I passed in 2010, so despite what they're saying now, that's not a new thing.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Up to an indicated 60mph? Whistle

I find it a rather peculiar scheme. When it was aimed at Born Again Bikers, I could sort of see the point as a refresher. But they're effectively saying that they think that newly passed bikers aren't up to it[*], so either training or tests are insufficient. And here's a whole lot of trainers who are better / different from DAS trainers / DVSA Dereks / and RoSPA / IAM.

It begs the question of why you wouldn't stick with your current trainer, or just go on a RoSPA / IAM course. I really can't see the point of ERS.

[*] Oh, and I was made aware of ERS when I passed in 2010, so despite what they're saying now, that's not a new thing.

Mine was a RoSPA man who made it clear not to abide by the speed limit at that point.

The duo that run this one; one IAM, one RoSPA, made it out that this was just a taster of further training given by each of their groups.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:19 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
The duo that run this one; one IAM, one RoSPA, made it out that this was just a taster of further training given by each of their groups.

Well, since we've got a handy test subject: why did you choose ERS over going straight to IAM / RoSPA?

I mean, I get that it can serve as a gateway for them for riders that they don't scoop up directly, but given the extra hoops they have to jump through in order to become Enhanced (non)DVSA Dereks, I'm surprised that many of them bother doing so.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, i'm looking at doing my ERS after passing my DAS last September

Main reason for choosing it over any others is that my local Road Safety Partnership (Derbyshire) are paying for it, so i get a a couple of days additional training with the same guy who took me through my DAS for the sum total of fuck all

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Well, since we've got a handy test subject: why did you choose ERS over going straight to IAM / RoSPA?

I mean, I get that it can serve as a gateway for them for riders that they don't scoop up directly, but given the extra hoops they have to jump through in order to become Enhanced (non)DVSA Dereks, I'm surprised that many of them bother doing so.

It was free. So I had nothing to lose if it was pap.

It was conducted in Doncaster (?) and seeing as I live in the grand (nation) county of Yorkshire I was eligible to have a bash. It was decent, but I wouldn't have been happy to pay for it, Insurance companies ask, "what's ERS?"

There was some ambulamp and fire enbinge peoples there too. They "want us to be safe while enjoying our vehicular transport devices".

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:39 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play, I did BikeSafe for much the same reason. I never got a totes fishul piece of paper though, so can't claim those big, big insurance discounts. Whistle

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one thing would make my biking more enjoyable... being able to ride over 20MPH in London.... FUCK SAKE!!

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In 2016, 319 motorcyclists died in incidents on Great Britain’s roads, and 5,553 were seriously injured

That's a pretty frightening percentage killed, fair play to the paramedics and hospitals but I'd hoped the deaths would be much higher.

I've always expected I'd die in a crash, not get seriously injured but the stats don't agree Mad

--------
Also agree with the question of what the point of the certificate is if it doesn't reduce insurance costs.

Finally my feedback to the article has been submitted and they thanked me for it.
https://i.imgur.com/J9Tb4Uu.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1