Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car repaired by garage under insurance questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Car repaired by garage under insurance questions Reply with quote

Afternoon BCF.

So long story short - wife had an arguement with a bollard. Bollard won and car went to get repaired by insurance in Jan. We were told it would be back by the end of that week.

Once there - they stripped it, and THEN checked their stock. Parts not in stock - have to wait.

6 months later they get the parts and it has now been repaired and we got it back today.

And we were forced blackmailed to pay the excess to them in the normal way (Or they wouldnt give us the car) for the pleasure of being sans decent car for 6 months. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Add to that the following:

- undersill protective cover not there so that needs fixing
- large scratch on bonnet that wasnt there previously
- They "forgot" to put everything from in the boot - back in the boot before giving it back to us, so we now have to wait until they are "in the area" to have the dog guard given back to us

So, question is, do I have to just stand here and bend over? or are there routes I can go down to make me feel better? Sad

They are not part of any voluntary regulatory body. Complaint already in with the insurance company that sent us there.

Also: Anyone know the name of the part of the sill that runs the length of the car on the outside - underneath that protects from water and other filth getting into the bolts etc?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:21 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to pay the excess - that is in the terms of your policy. Your policy guarantees you a payout for total loss or a repair back to a safe and roadworthy condition as close as possible to specification given age, wear and tear on other parts etc.

Under the contract you are the "client" the contract is between the customer (paying the bill) your insurance company and the garage.

1, Letter before action to garage stating allegations requesting repairs with copy to insurance company.
2, As they are not part of any body then Insurance Ombudsman? If your insurance company does not deal with the matter for you.

Legally - the loss of items and additional damage will form part of your insurance claim and your insurer may have to settle you for them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:42 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Car repaired by garage under insurance questions Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
6 months later they get the parts

Shocked Are you sure it was a car and not a Ducati?

What losses can you show that you suffered while it wasn't available to you?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Car repaired by garage under insurance questions Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
6 months later they get the parts

Shocked Are you sure it was a car and not a Ducati?

Laughing Laughing

Rogerborg wrote:

What losses can you show that you suffered while it wasn't available to you?

Assuming we get the actual "stuff" back that was in the car... Losses are all quality of life based. we had a 7 seater for a reason. The 5 seater hire car we got given (after 5 months of complaining that the 4 seater Aygo wasnt going to cut it) has meant we havent been able to go anywhere as a family for 6 months.

Also we have paid tax on her car for the last 6 months that has now been wasted for no reason.

On a more tenuous link that I fully dont expect to be re-imbursed for obviously but its annoying... I wanted to get rid of my car in Feb and was unable to as we needed to go everywhere in 2 cars. So weve also incurred the cost of paying for that monthly between Feb and July un-necessarily.

The gist of it is that they neednt have taken the car in the first place unless they had the parts. It was safe and driveable, it just had an unsightly massive scratch down the side. But still perfectly driveable!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
You would have to pay the excess - that is in the terms of your policy. Your policy guarantees you a payout for total loss or a repair back to a safe and roadworthy condition as close as possible to specification given age, wear and tear on other parts etc.

Under the contract you are the "client" the contract is between the customer (paying the bill) your insurance company and the garage.

1, Letter before action to garage stating allegations requesting repairs with copy to insurance company.
2, As they are not part of any body then Insurance Ombudsman? If your insurance company does not deal with the matter for you.

Legally - the loss of items and additional damage will form part of your insurance claim and your insurer may have to settle you for them.

Assume okay to just go direct to insurance first? And see what they say?

Can a letter before action be an email?

Do I need to specifically say "blah blah blah or else ombudsman if nonresponse within X days?

What is X days?

Thanks! Smile

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, what's the car and what was the part?

Is the repairer attached to a dealer for that make of car, or were they ordering it in from an outside supplier?

I ask this because I have waited months for not very obscure parts from major manufacturers, so it certainly does happen and more often than you might think.

I also find parts departments are notoriously poor at keeping their customers informed - discovering a part has gone back order, some time after I've ordered it, is pretty much a weekly occurrence and usually involves me asking them why it hasn't showed, rather than them telling me it isn't coming.

This then leads to having a car stripped and ready for repair, only to find the parts aren't available - I only get paid once to do a job, so putting it back together and taking it part again when the parts arrive, isn't on my agenda at all.

As for the stuff that wasn't put back, did you not check before you took it away?

And I don't know where you're going to go with your mystery scratch - you're going to say it wasn't there, they will say it was and neither of you can prove either way. You might get lucky and they will offer to repair out of goodwill, but I wouldn't bet on it, preparing and painting a bonnet could wipe out their profit on the job, so be ready for a fight.

To be honest (and I'm not implying you are) I got so fed up with people claiming extraneous damage, for a long time I've been making a point of taking images of any unreported damage at the point of estimate, then doing a walk round with the customer when the car is checked in, if necessary with more images.

If I were a customer, I would insist the repairer did a condition report at check in, can't be any arguments then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
First of all, what's the car and what was the part?

Is the repairer attached to a dealer for that make of car, or were they ordering it in from an outside supplier?

I ask this because I have waited months for not very obscure parts from major manufacturers, so it certainly does happen and more often than you might think.

I also find parts departments are notoriously poor at keeping their customers informed - discovering a part has gone back order, some time after I've ordered it, is pretty much a weekly occurrence and usually involves me asking them why it hasn't showed, rather than them telling me it isn't coming.

This then leads to having a car stripped and ready for repair, only to find the parts aren't available - I only get paid once to do a job, so putting it back together and taking it part again when the parts arrive, isn't on my agenda at all.

As for the stuff that wasn't put back, did you not check before you took it away?

And I don't know where you're going to go with your mystery scratch - you're going to say it wasn't there, they will say it was and neither of you can prove either way. You might get lucky and they will offer to repair out of goodwill, but I wouldn't bet on it, preparing and painting a bonnet could wipe out their profit on the job, so be ready for a fight.

To be honest (and I'm not implying you are) I got so fed up with people claiming extraneous damage, for a long time I've been making a point of taking images of any unreported damage at the point of estimate, then doing a walk round with the customer when the car is checked in, if necessary with more images.

If I were a customer, I would insist the repairer did a condition report at check in, can't be any arguments then.

Peugeot
Both passenger doors and sills.
No idea where the parts were coming from. Narnia potentially / given that it took 6 month!

Well the scratch wasn't there 🤣 I would suggest that if they haven't done a condition check with photos then it's up to them to prove they didn't damage it. Not the other way round.

They dropped it off - we didn't pick it up or we would have checked.

Other issues I have since noticed... (And these are directly related to the repairs.

Missing clips in wheel arches
Doors don't line up (not flush with each other)
Protective blacking under sill not present
Damage to the jack points (bent at 90 degrees)

😪

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Peugeot
Both passenger doors and sills.
No idea where the parts were coming from. Narnia potentially / given that it took 6 month!

Well the scratch wasn't there 🤣 I would suggest that if they haven't done a condition check with photos then it's up to them to prove they didn't damage it. Not the other way round.

They dropped it off - we didn't pick it up or we would have checked.

Other issues I have since noticed... (And these are directly related to the repairs.

Missing clips in wheel arches
Doors don't line up (not flush with each other)
Protective blacking under sill not present
Damage to the jack points (bent at 90 degrees)

😪

I was having a bet with myself it was a PSA car, they currently hold my record for back order parts - I waited 9 months for a gear linkage part for a Berlingo, before doing a bodgetastic repair and advising the customer to get rid ASAP. To date, the part still hasn't turned up and I ordered it 8 years ago.

Was the repairer recommended by the insurer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 19 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Yup.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:23 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A letter before action can be sent by email but really for maximum effect it needs to be sent 1st class signed for post marked for the attention of the Managing Director or the most senior person at the garage.

14 Days is the normal waiting time on these sort of things.

The car would surely have been inspected at the time of being estimated either by a insurance company approved assessor who should take photos of every aspect of the car or at the very least the repairing garage - given that digital cameras are now in everyone's hand I would be astounded if photos didn't exist somewhere.

You need to formalise the complaint with the insurance company first, If there is a record then they will have access to it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
A letter before action can be sent by email but really for maximum effect it needs to be sent 1st class signed for post marked for the attention of the Managing Director or the most senior person at the garage.

14 Days is the normal waiting time on these sort of things.

The car would surely have been inspected at the time of being estimated either by a insurance company approved assessor who should take photos of every aspect of the car or at the very least the repairing garage - given that digital cameras are now in everyone's hand I would be astounded if photos didn't exist somewhere.

You need to formalise the complaint with the insurance company first, If there is a record then they will have access to it.

Awesome. Good idea and info. Yeah complaints gone in with insurance directly and I've sent photos of the sub standard work to the garage (as well as insurance) waiting to hear back what they both say...

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complaint into insurers including pictures
Pictures sent to garage of shoddy work. They are picking the car up today illedgedly ... Believe it when I see it.

Bet we end up with a 4 seater aygo as a courtesy car again. Sad

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Complaint into insurers including pictures
Pictures sent to garage of shoddy work. They are picking the car up today illedgedly ... Believe it when I see it.

Bet we end up with a 4 seater aygo as a courtesy car again. Sad

did they pick it up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - they came and collected it and left us.......

Wait for it.....

A 4 seater Toyota Aygo. Evil or Very Mad

FFS. They also said repairs would only take 1 day! I'm not sure how long the protective sill blacking takes to cure. Or how many layers it needs building up..... But I bet I don't get it back tomorrow!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got it back. All fixed - yay.

Still waiting to hear from insurance on the complaint.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a partial result then. I hope the rest is resolved for you.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
That's a partial result then. I hope the rest is resolved for you.

Cheers!

Not a bad job either! Just weird why they didn't do a proper job in the first place!

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:35 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "threat" of having their lucrative insurance work pulled would of exercised the board room when they saw your complaint.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
The "threat" of having their lucrative insurance work pulled would of exercised the board room when they saw your complaint.

Either that or just lazy bastards that do bare minimum... Or shit shift has the work until it comes back and they needed to pull the good mechanics off another job to fix mine....🤣

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they repair the scratch on your bonnet?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
Did they repair the scratch on your bonnet?

Yup. Not a quibble or argument in sight.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1