Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drum brake acting funny?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

BananaLover
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:27 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Drum brake acting funny? Reply with quote

So I had a harder time pulling out my bike out of the driveway than usual, there was a slight resistance from the rear drum brake.
I got to my destination, had used the rear brake during the drive, and now when I tried to pull out of the parking spot the rear brake was seized completely as if I had held down the brake. I used a wrench to undo the nut on the drum brake (that is responsive for how much the pedal must be pressed for there to be a reaction) and it came free and I got home fine.

1) Is this normal? I can't find a good balance for the bolt, right now I have to press down on the pedal a lot for anything to happen, I think there is some maintenance that needs to be done to the rear brake, what kind would it be?
2) I was just about to do the MOT, will I pass as it is?

Thanks a lot.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 13 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your rear wheel axle loose?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:04 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it won't pass the MOT. Sounds like it needs a bit of a service. Drum brakes are so simple you can do it yourself. Remove that adjuster nut and the bolt through the torque arm then pull out the wheel spindle so the wheel and brake carrier come out together. Note which side each spacer is on so they go back the same side. Now with the wheel loose wiggle out the brake carrier.

You'll find it's full of dust in there. Brush away all the dust and take a photo of the shoe assembly so you know how the springs go back. Mark the brake arm with a scratch or some black marker so you get it back on the same spline location.

Remove the shoes and tap out the pivot bolt. Clean everything up and re-fit the pivot with some grease. Re-assemble in reverse order.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:35 - 14 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually below the brake drum, is a torque arm; goes from the drum back-plate to the swing arm, stops the back-plate spinning when you brake.

Its almost always forgotten when either the chain or the brake is adjusted... so when the axle clamped back up.. the torque arm is trying to spring it back to where it was when that was last done up...

Drums should be pretty easy to pull apart and adjust/overhaul if needs. BUT... slack off that torque arm, before you do anything, and make sure its the last thing you tighten after.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1