Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Daytona 650 Issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mmalik
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:48 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Daytona 650 Issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

Looking or some help and advice.

I purchased the above bike less than 3 months ago from a independent garage and I have been having the following issues with it.

1. When changing gear or stopping at a junction etc, the revs drop and then the bike cuts out. All electrics still work but it takes me 4-5 goes to get it started.

The garage took the bike back and the first time they could find no issues, I then installed a helmet cam and got footage of the problem, garage collected the bike and told me after a few days that the problem was the TPS, apparently it was out of sync. The bike now revs at around 1200rpm at idle. It has not so far cut out on me while changing gears or stopping at a junction BUT it does cut out on me after I start the bike and ride it few a few miles, this does not happen every time though. Again it takes a few goes for it start and stay idling as it should do.

2. I barely get 120 Miles out of a full tank and that is riding like my grandmother. I keep it at 70mph, no acceleration, nothing. If I give it some beans, maybe once a ride short burst of speed etc, I get 100-110 Miles.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated as I am getting fed up.

Thanks all.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is faulty and dangerous, get your money back.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Daytona 650 Issues Reply with quote

mmalik wrote:

The bike now revs at around 1200rpm at idle. It has not so far cut out on me while changing gears or stopping at a junction BUT it does cut out on me after I start the bike and ride it few a few miles, this does not happen every time though. Again it takes a few goes for it start and stay idling as it should do.

I'd be looking hard at the idle adjuster motor, to my memory of test-riding one of these they have an auto choke system.

Edit: That would also explain the full economy if the choke is sticking on and the ECU thinks it has been turned off

mmalik
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:03 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Daytona 650 Issues Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
mmalik wrote:

The bike now revs at around 1200rpm at idle. It has not so far cut out on me while changing gears or stopping at a junction BUT it does cut out on me after I start the bike and ride it few a few miles, this does not happen every time though. Again it takes a few goes for it start and stay idling as it should do.

I'd be looking hard at the idle adjuster motor, to my memory of test-riding one of these they have an auto choke system.

Edit: That would also explain the full economy if the choke is sticking on and the ECU thinks it has been turned off

It does feel like that the Auto choke is always on. It seems to be revving quite high on idle.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:09 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an injected bike, it doesn't have auto choke. It has a cold running programme but that should change as soon as it's up to temperature.

Does it have a standard or aftermarket exhaust?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mmalik
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:51 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It's an injected bike, it doesn't have auto choke. It has a cold running programme but that should change as soon as it's up to temperature.

Does it have a standard or aftermarket exhaust?

Standard exhaust.

I spoke to soon. In the way home from work just now, the bike cut out everytime I went to change gear and pulled in the clutch.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:57 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmalik wrote:

Standard exhaust.

I spoke to soon. In the way home from work just now, the bike cut out everytime I went to change gear and pulled in the clutch.

Ok. It's possible it's been remapped and the standard exhaust is throwing off the fuelling...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can easily flash the correct factory map on there to check.

mmalik
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:11 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this not be something that the dealers mechanic would have looked into. Bike is being collected again tomorrow for the third time for them to look at.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:16 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmalik wrote:
Would this not be something that the dealers mechanic would have looked into. Bike is being collected again tomorrow for the third time for them to look at.

Can always request it

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
mmalik wrote:

Can always request it

I have to continually tell the Triumph dealership not to do it, as the diagnostic tests they run on the 675 ECU has been known to wipe custom maps.

But I'd be surprised if a normal dealer would even think of resetting the MAP to stock.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:47 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy for them to wipe if I wanted the base map but yes, agreed, if I had a custom one that was in use, fuck em.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1