Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to exchange some alloy wheels for steel?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: How to exchange some alloy wheels for steel? Reply with quote

My van has a set of Mercedes AMG alloy wheels with new Pirello P-zero tyres fitted.

I want to swap these for regular steel rims and normal tyres.

Does anyone know how I could do this other than listing the wheels on eBay and then buying replacements?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:04 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on a Merc Van forum and advertise the swap.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get the nuts/bolts to match the steelies, the taper is different for alloys typically.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I was trolling eBay I saw 4 decent condition steel rims with tyres for £140. Offered £130 and picked them up straight away.

Couldn't turn that deal down, and the seller was a really nice one armed biker who gave me a bunch of other Sprinter stuff!

So I am gonna have 4 20" Visconte alloys with almost new 245/45 P-zero's on eBay soon. + 1 spare new P zero tyre.

Anyone interested?

https://i.imgur.com/dNKbT6m.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:05 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget alloy to steel wheels will be classed as a modification for insurance purposes.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

brains_t wrote:
Don't forget alloy to steel wheels will be classed as a modification for insurance purposes.

alloys look aftermarket anyway so probably not listed anyway

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reminder about the insurance. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I didn't get a discount from going from alloys to steel rims though. Sad

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the pcd is on them ?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:

6x130 is the spec that comes up for the sprinter.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
dransy wrote:

6x130 is the spec that comes up for the sprinter.

Without wishing to state the obvious, the wheels in the picture are five stud not six.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic is not my actual wheels, mine are still on my van but they are those Visconti design. Just 6 studs. I will get a pic when I'm back home at the weekend.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel Rims will likely have a thinner cross section where the wheel studs poke through. (If it has Nuts and not Bolts)
That might require a set of shorter studs.

Just a thot.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viano/Vito/Sprinter wheels do not fit passenger cars (A/B/C/E/S/CLK...). The ''van'' wheels have thicker bolts. There are also 3 lengths of the bolts, the steel wheels having the shortest bolts, then standard alloy wheels bolts and then there are special (longer) bolts for certain alloy wheels. Either way though, ''van'' wheels won't fit cars and vice versa, which does not help selling them.

Also all the wheels shoud be 112x5 with 66.6mm hub, both ''vans'' and cars.

*VW group also use 112x5 and the same bolt sizes. Skoda Superb/Octavia, Audi A4/A6, VW Passat/Golf... and the VW ''vans'' were desingned in close cooperation with Daimler AG and share most of the parts, including the wheels. But as said, ''van'' wheels won't fit the passenger cars and vice versa.

TL; DR: Your ''van'' wheels are not that desirable. You're going to have to find another ''van'' owner (VW/Daimler AG) to buy the wheels.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1