Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ditched my bike on gravel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:13 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Ditched my bike on gravel Reply with quote

So pissed off with myself! Was coming back from an awesome rideout with mates and we decided to take a shortcut back on more minor roads. Came around a blind corner on stupidly central line and boom, there it is, a thick pile of gravel and down I go.......

https://youtu.be/jVM644d74WM

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!

How's the bike?

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Not too much damage I hope?

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 07:26 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I had just put a full set of R+G sliders on it, so while there was still damage to cosmetic bits, it was saved from major damage.

I had my Weise textiles on and walked away without even a cut or bruise, although i'm still aching like a wuss weeks later.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sucks.

all those sliders on one side of the bike?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:51 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you dabbing the brakes there, or was that purely the road surface?

Either way, compo claim to the road maintainer.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bugger, brakes or no brakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like you almost saved it.

Looks like you landed head first? Good excuse for a new lid, if you want one.

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:18 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good but your ok.
Looks like the road had been fixed see clip at about 0:08 when you hit the bump/lump in the road.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I can't make out what happened from the video. Can you do a really bad paint diagram for us, please?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:31 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure exactrly why that had you off because it looks like your mate with the camera took exactly the same line and didn't even shimmy.

However, as you probably know, a wider line would have been faster, involved less leaning and would have let you see that gravel a lot sooner. Keep well out for left handers.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:09 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think panic brake there... it does a little slide, sorts itself and you go fuck John Cena and hit the deck. Laughing Just my assumption.

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:03 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all those sliders on the left of the bike. Front forks, engine, bar ends and rear axle....may have gone a bit ott! Very Happy

Didn't touch the brake didn't have time, one minute I was up then I was watching the bike sliding down the road.

I have written to the Council as a couple of bikers passed and said it always happen rain and the council know about it, however, i'll take it on the chin as I was more worried about a car flying the other way and had probably let my guard down a bit coming to the last 30 mins of long ride.

My mate in front said he saw it flash past on the nearside and shat himself.....hence why he was looking in his mirror and saw me twat it.

It's all a big lesson and the bike can be repaired and the gear did it's job and can be replaced.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:33 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a bit tense on the bars?

I did rewatch the video a few times because I'm another one that felt it was particularly unlucky to go down - generally bikes recover quite well if left to their own devices without any extra input when there's only a fairly small area with 'lack of adhesion'.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the roads around Cumbria are like after heavy rain, fecking lethal. Last time I went out I was dodging gravel all over the shop, some times I'd have a look back to see if my mates came off on it Laughing

Here's a video of one of them hitting gravel in the Dales to make you feel better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOijWsqJBi0

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
That's what the roads around Cumbria are like after heavy rain, fecking lethal. Last time I went out I was dodging gravel all over the shop, some times I'd have a look back to see if my mates came off on it Laughing

The joys of mountain regions. Worth it for when conditions are good though Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:25 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Cheap resurfacing Reply with quote

They have started to spray tar and throw gravel over the top on the roads round here ,and stick up a sign saying 20mph and leave all the excess to sit on the road ,its lethal if you go onto the section not cleared by the car wheels or when you pull out onto the road from a side turning

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Cheap resurfacing Reply with quote

MATTT wrote:
They have started to spray tar and throw gravel over the top on the roads round here ,and stick up a sign saying 20mph and leave all the excess to sit on the road ,its lethal if you go onto the section not cleared by the car wheels or when you pull out onto the road from a side turning

Seems fairly common practice unfortunately. I had an off a few years back because of this. Traffic lights turned red and had to brake, which is the last thing you want to do on this stuff. Just as I was about to come to a stop, out went the front wheel and down I went.

How they get away with leaving the surface like this is beyond me.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:19 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Cheap resurfacing Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
How they get away with leaving the surface like this is beyond me.

They do it because it's cheaper than doing it right because people don't claim their compo.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:00 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see that happen to you.

At least you are OK though which you might not have been.

Most of my riding is around small lanes like that and even smaller and they are covered with gravel around the mid line. It is lethal if you are on a bend or braking. To be honest, I am riding a 125 for the time being so I am usually going quite slowly and I make bloody sure I stay out of the mid portion of the road away from most of these gravel banks.

Hope you are better soon.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:59 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger, unlucky.

I very nearly did the same after some road works near me. It was a bit of road I ride at least 10 times a week then one day I come round the corner onto a shit pile of gravel and all traction goes to shit. Fortunately I managed to avoid an off but it was a brown pants moment.

Should definitely try for compo if only to raise the point that this type of road resurfacing can be as dangerous as black ice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1