Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bicycles and pedestrians to be given RoW on new R/about

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Bicycles and pedestrians to be given RoW on new R/about Reply with quote

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/cyclists-pedestrians-priority-cars-bold-move/

It's only a matter of time now. I wouldn't want to be the Ginnea Pig in this experiment. 😲

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This again?

"a Dutch-style roundabout separates vehicles from vulnerable road users"

Except these don't, do they? They significantly increase the number of interactions, if you're insane enough to try and use the cycle lanes to orbit the roundabout.

Video here, notice the cyclists on not slowing down or even looking at the motorised traffic, assuming that it'll stop. Good luck with that here. Really. The very best of luck.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine with zebra crossings (as shown at the second and third exits in the one in the article. Vehicles give way to pedestrians using the crossing. Everyone knows how that works.

The cycling thing looks like a recipe for disaster. No reason cycles shouldn't use the roundabout and the road in the normal way. If they don't feel confident doing so, they shouldn't be riding the fecking things. Shared cycle/footpaths are a total fuckery and should be the exception, not the rule. They will continue to be so as long as there are toddlers, pushchairs and dogs on extending leads. Even the Dutch get that, their cycle paths are part of the road, not the footway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:26 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Vehicles give way to pedestrians using the crossing. Everyone knows how that works.

We don't tend to put them on the exits of roundabouts though, and folk don't step onto them without even looking.

It's not an issue with signage, it's attitude and expectations.

Even if traffic does stop for peds (of all flavours), I predict a lot of rear end shunts at the exit.

Should be a giggle, I just hope they're honest in recording the consequences.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good place to bring a deck chair and a packed lunch. Laughing

The locals might get used to it but, anyone from out of town will be full of WTF?

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madness. A capable cyclist shouldn't need these reservations and privileges. The point of a roundabout is to avoid the full-stop of a conventional junction and allow traffic to flow. This hobbles that idea unnecessarily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:20 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something like this at near Stratford already. Think it's the A11/A12 junction, although not as bad as that. Also I bet it only takes one bus or HGV to stop it working properly. As for the Zebra crossings on the roundabouts, yep see a few of them too (in London), it's just a bad idea.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.529773,-0.0144365,3a,75y,6.28h,82.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seDG0CuKh-mPTKuCdu_LeFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magic roundabout in Swindon causes enough problems with people unfamiliar with it. This will be a lot worse!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:17 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
folk don't step onto them without even looking.

I do. I make a point of it. No. Eye. Contact... A zebra crossing is MINE. DARE you to run into a pedestrian on one. Go on. See what happens. If I land up on your bonnet I WILL stick the head on you through it.

Weighing 250lb helps. Most elect to stop due to the anticipated amount of damage hitting me would do. I also know what happens to a euro 4 bumper and bonnet in a low speed collision with a pedestrian.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:53 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
There is something like this at near Stratford already.

Narp. I don't think that cycle lane changes priorities. It's part of the main carriageway at the junctions. The issue is a separate cycle lane, with priority, across the carriageway right after an exit.

Dave70 wrote:
Looks like a good place to bring a deck chair and a packed lunch. Laughing

The locals might get used to it but, anyone from out of town will be full of WTF?

Which will be a good thing if it makes people super cautious and alert.

What's going to mess it up is Nardo in his truck or Uber not giving a stuff, or Doris panicking and planting her right orthopaedic boot in her Micra to get away from all the confusing and scary paint and signs as quickly as possible.

If drivers were perfect, we wouldn't need all this frippery to begin with.

Oh, also, that reminds me: how will Robocar deal with this situation? Again I'd point at the Dutch behaviour of just cycling blithely onto and across the carriageway without slowing or even looking. Robocar will harvest them like lycra clad wheat.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules of Engagement for Zebra Crossing is that anyone wishing to use the crossing must 'activate' the crossing by putting a foot on the crossing.

Many folk, drivers (steerers) and pedestrians are unaware of this so stand like dummies at the kerbside or drivers stop to let pedestrians cross when the crossing has not been 'activated' by a person's foot.

How they will manage the new roundabout will be interesting.

"19
Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped."

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the key factors of the roundabout style is that the carriageway width is reduced to make for slower approach and departure speeds, meaning drivers go slower while approaching and being on the roundabout.

Sounds bad for le filtrage then. I predict the first HGV to use this intersection will make all the flaws in it's design more than apparent. :/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1