BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spluttering

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gemz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:25 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Spluttering Reply with quote

Hi, I need some help. I have an er500 97. It was a non runner when I bought it and managed to get it running. However, it was running on one cylinder, so I got it running on two but most of the time it wouldn't start at all, I also cleaned the carbs, new battery, new oil and filter, new relay/solonoid. Drained and cleaned inner tank as there was loads of crap in it. I took it for a spin when I thought it was running fine (2 cylinders) it was very sluggish then lost all power. So I bought it home, cleaned the carbs yet again and fiddled with it a bit more, now it's only running on one again and hardly any power in the throttle. I've only ridden it twice since I got it because of this problem and starting to feel like it was a waste of money. Please help anyone.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the plugs like?
It will more than likely be the carbs. When you cleaned them, did you take the jets out and give them a good blast with carb cleaner (and compressed air if possible) ?

I'd also suggest checking the float heights (if you haven't already).
Mine were way out when I first got mine (it hadn't been ridden much before I got it and needed a damn good clean out etc).

What mileage is it? and is there any service history? (thinking valve clearances)

Gemz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put brand new plugs in it. Took jets out and air blasted them but didn't use carb cleaner. If I remember correctly the needle was a bit out. Not sure how to balance it though. Not sure on mileage and service history I can't remember. Will check when I can

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely give some carb cleaner a try.
As for checking the float heights, do that before you clean the jets (see the attached PDF), then when you strip the carbs you can alter the float height if required.
There's no need to use the "special tool - fuel level gauge", I just winged it and used some clear pvc pipe & guesswork.
I also bought a carb service kit as one carb was seriously over-fuelling. Replaced the float needles & pilot jet, balanced the carbs and it has been fine ever since.

Gemz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will try that and get back to you. Thank you very much
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1