Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rear huger rubbing tyre?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Rear huger rubbing tyre? Reply with quote

No threads for ages and then two at once, I'm like public transport; well, I will be on it if what I think I've worked out turns nasty, woops.

So I had a new C&S set after the front was grinding and the noise went away, the ride was smooth and I, temporarily, was over the moon. About eighty miles after that I adjusted the chain after a rubbing noise occurred that I mistook for a loose chain hitting the swingarm; well, it was just one to eliminate the chain as the cause. The noise continued, anyhow.

So I removed the huger, saw no stones, refitted it and continued to ride. The noise continues.

Long story short; I think the new C&S kit has moved the wheel forward and a slightly bent rear huger, for whatever reason, is occasionally making contact with the rear wheel under load causing a rubbing sound.

A very bad picture of what the rear huger looks like:

https://s8.postimg.cc/hm2kn6311/refd3.jpg

It has more room on the left side than the right and, as a gauge, the thin strip you can see sticking up on the rear wheel (whatever they're called) represents how much space there is between the huger and the wheel -- in that the top of one of those things is touching the underside of the huger.

I've never really played attention to the huger and the only issue I've had with it is stones being stuck in it; there is, however, two very damaging marks on the huger that tell me within its life, under someone else, its taken a beating, or two, somehow so might explain the bentness -- if it wasn't the shop mechanics mishandling it, that is.

Saying that, mind, when I removed the huger in around that area I noticed that it seemed a lot more transparent compared to the pure blackness of everywhere else; its rubbed away, perhaps?

Anyhow it would explain why I can't seem to notice the noise while turning the tyre on the stand or beside being sat on it.

I'm not really interested in spending ninety pound (Pyramid) on another one so two questions: (1) will I die if ignore and (2) any easy way to bend it back, or keep it more elevated?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:43 - 21 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a cheap bike with cheap parts. If you are truly worried just remove the hugger. It's not needed.

I'd ignore it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:21 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens at ful compression and check for marks on the OUTSIDE of the hugger that would correspond.

I had rubs on the tyre of my VFR. Turns out it was the hugger hitting the high level pipe at full compression. This only happened when I had soft panniers on which, again at full compression, hit the exhauist which in turn pushed against the hugger which in turn rubbed on the tyre.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:03 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try fitting a largger huger? Thinking

Can you move the hugger forwards at all? Drill new mounting holes, or extend the current holes with a round file.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elevate your 'huger'. Or move it forward. Or as Paddy said, bin it. Don't waste money on another one.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my ZZR the hugger mounted to the brake torque arm bolt which had to be slackened and then tightened again when adjusting chain tension and it did tend to pivot on slackening so a bit of tweaking and tugging when tightening was required.

It did rub slightly on the tyre, but I figured that the tyre was tougher than the plastic and it was well within the chicken strip anyway (right out to the edge) so not a bit of tread I'd be using Very Happy

Gradually got better as chain adjustment took the back wheel backwards and the hugger wore to match the tyre

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do carry a large load, through chains, on almost every ride so that probably doesn't help.

Over the past couple its been better than it was so, as above, it might have worn to a suitable level; typical I mention something and it goes silent.

I'll keep an eye on it, with the knowledge of above, and burn it in a pit of revenge if it carries on.

Thanks for all responses. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1