Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Too many bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Too many bikes? Reply with quote

Hey all, long time no post.

Recently I've been having thoughts that the fleet is a bit too big. How many bikes is feasibly too many bikes?

I've been weighing up just cutting down the fleet because they're all currently unrideable yet I no longer have the space to work on them to even get them close to a sailable condition. Laughing

What are your thoughts and opinions? I only really want my TTR 250, my MT 50 and my CB 400, but I only really want the 400 so I can see it go round the clock. Is it a stupid idea to try and sell them as is just to clear some space so I can get the ones I want back up and going? I've even considered actually paying a mechanic to do the work on them but I broke out in a cold sweat. Laughing

What say you?
Cheers! Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:58 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can possibly keep them stable so they do not degrade anymore do so,
money in the bank does nothing .
Paying for work is expensive and will eat into anything you make on their sale, as you say, could just give you a bit more room.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, bikes were always about riding. I'd choose one or two perhaps, the most realistic ones to get running, and get shot of the rest. I'd rather have one good bike I can jump on at any time than a bunch of rotting carcasses I'll never get around to fixing up. But it all boils down to time and money in the end - what can you afford to do, what do you have the time to do?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Too many bikes? Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
my CB 400, but I only really want the 400 so I can see it go round the clock.

Not worth it imo. I could see it if it was a bike I'd owned from new, and all those miles were put on by myself, but just for the sake of it? Nah. Keep it if you like it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make an excellent point there. I do enjoy riding it, but it's broke down just after the BBQ in Wales, two years ago, and hasn't been started since so I can't really remember what it was like.

Which brings it back to your first point, sort of, it's sat for close to two years and I physically can't fix it because there is no space to tear it apart and work out what's gone wrong, my TTR is approaching four years because I have no room to sort it out anymore.

I don't want to brag, but money isn't so much an issue as much as it feels like admitting defeat if I defer the work to someone else. The issue I have is no one wants to buy my broken bikes, no one is interested in them even as projects so it appears that I'm stuck with them until I can come up with a solution.

The issue is, as well, I'm a hoarder, I've only ever sold a couple of bikes and they've both gone to friends or family. I also like having the option of bikes, although thinking about it, if none of them work, I have no option. It's the same with my cars, I have four of those too. Laughing

Basically I was hoping for someone to help convince myself to get rid of some junk, somehow. Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:03 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ Every Day bike
2/ Sunday Best
3/ Dirt bike / comper / trackbike/racer
4/ Project Bike
5/ Senti Mental Bike
6/ ShowBike

Half a dozen then would sort of fulfil every reason for having different bikes; you could probably trim that a bit, say having dirt bhike as every day commuter, or show bike as sunday best.....

Then inflate it with donors for project bike... bikes waiting to be the project, etc

There'r no right or wrong number....

Limit is money.... you can only ride one at a time, so why pay tax and insurance or have petrol sitting in ones not used

Limit is space.... you CAN start to stash them in the loft or living room, and stuff, but it IS a bit silly when you have to move a moto guzzi starter motor to make a cup of coffee....

Limit is time.... you can only ride one at a time, and theres only so many hours a day to spend balencing carbs, polishing chrome or stringing cam chains...

You have hit the buffers......

So you need stretch something, or shrink something to make it fit.

Would you like a Honda CB125 Super Dream? Or three? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't keep any bikes that I couldn't ride, unless it was an ongoing project that has regular progress made. And I'd stick to one project at a time. It's all about how you use them though. If you commute, race and go off-roading then 3 bikes would be worth it. For me though, one is enough, I can't be doing with cramped garage space. my commuter is kept in good nick because it's also my sunday best.

I guess you could ask yourself what would you gain from the extra space and the time not spend spannering? Also predict what money you might gain/save by cutting down to just 3?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:

The issue is, as well, I'm a hoarder

Oh God, not one of those! Laughing
My ol' man was one of those, but unfortunately, he never hoarded anything as interesting as bikes. Me and my brother had to clear out all his junk when he passed away, and it was a nightmare. I can only let a mess go so far before I have to do something about it, and after that malarkey, I keep things pretty minimalist now. Even had I the money for many bikes, I think I'm past that now. And as you have noted, there's not much point if you don't even have anywhere left to work on them. No.1: Get organised! Laughing

If they're not saleable, I wouldn't let that stop me from getting rid, even if I lost money. I'd just put it down to experience, and not allow myself to get to that point again, i.e., I'd face up to what I'm actually likely, or not likely, to do with any future purchase.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck me, I feel good about my life now with 2&1/2 old bikes and an old car all not really working or taxed. Laughing

Mate, I think like me you have at times got more into the car thing than bikes, and there's nothing wrong with that. (Being nosy do tell what the 4 rides are).

I think you've got to keep the MT as that was always your long term special build, and it does make most sense to me for many reasons.
1, how much space does a lightweight 50 take up, and it's parts/spares.
2, it was your little mad project/special build that would still be very worthwhile for someone who wants a project build for one day.
3, Parts prices arnt too mad yet, and they made loads of them, so you can get the parts easily still which is a big factor to me.
4, it was your original sentimental bike, hard to put a price on that.
5, 80's mopeds are getting popular with nostalgia hunters now, and while they are cheap enough to build/restore still compared to 70's mopeds, they are going up in value and will keep doing so too IMO.

Hell you could build up an MT in your living room/Kitchen/Bedroom and it's feather light so it won't be hard to get a complete bike in or out of the house.
If your going to work on a project yourself then bike wise this is the one to do IMO.

As for the rest, if like me you don't need or rely on a bike then if your not planning on riding bikes much, you don't need them.
The 400 would go straight away if it were mine, and I'd possibly replace it with a CB500 (or any popular UK market bike to make life easier for parts).

Sell the rest if you need the space or cash, and remember a grand or so would make a hell of a way into a very special MT50 build without having to compromise on much.

I've now got space for 2more bikes in my shed, but please don't let me find a way to fill it as im trying for a simple life not one where I'm too scared to open the shed door again and see how much stuff is in my way. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Multiply their worth a zillion times by advertising them as barn finds! Very Happy

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:01 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart move!

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I wouldn't keep any bikes that I couldn't ride, unless it was an ongoing project that has regular progress made. And I'd stick to one project at a time.

This ^

Sums it up perfectly in my view. Any bike that you dont use is a liability and dead weight... even if it is sorned. Get rid of it. Ride and enjoy the one bike or two at most.

Project bikes from experience are massive time and money sinks. Even one project bike is a waste of time if you're not making sufficient progress because it just lingers on forever and one gets frustrated eventually.

Years ago I tried to restore an air cooled RD350 and after months and months of buying new parts and working on it I eventually sold it with the parts and to be honest I would never attempt a restore again. Life is too short.

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:55 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'e come to the same sort of point, limited by time, where I realised that two bikes, 6 cars, a trailer and a racing dinghy was too much to try to look after.

When I realised I'd seen my MOT man on average once a month last year I decided it was time to thin the fleet.

As a few folk have said, I'm cutting back to what I can actually use, and for bikes, that means getting rid of the shiney one I've failed to get time to put back together, and swapping the shitter for something that can be used all year round and I dont care too much about, because being able to throw my leg over it whenever I feel like it mattters most.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfect number of bikes for any one person can be represented by n+1 where n is the number of bikes currently owned. Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the year with 5, I'm down to 3, with one up for sale. Confused

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 .. because the garage is now full ..

1/ Every Day bike .. cb1000r abs
2/ Sports tourer ZZR14D8fABS
3/ Dirt bike / Husqvarna 701
4/ Project Bike .. nope .. no time.. energy or inclination
5/ Senti Mental Bike YZFR1 5VY
6/ ShowBike nope they are for ridin

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you can say....!
For me, I always used to have a couple of dirt bikes in the garage. I had a few years out of biking and have just got back into it, actually taking my test as well now not just hooning around at tracks lol.
I have a rebuilt '92 dr650, as I couldn't resist buying a off road (ISH) bike, but I want a crotch rocket. Thinking along the lines of gsxr or ninja 750, and I wouldn't actually mind getting a smaller trail bike again just for the lolz , nothing mental and high maintenance , wr250r, possibly xr250 kinda thing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Too many bikes? Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
How many bikes is feasibly too many bikes?

You need a bigger garage. Thumbs Up

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 4 bikes at one time, but never had them all on the road at any point, as it just didn't make sense.

One of the best things I did was going back to 1 bike, which meant I could focus on that, and keeping it in good mechanical condition. I feel I'm also more inclined to sort the little issues with the bike now that I have 1. (e.g. removing the footrest hanger to clean and lubricate the shifter).

Perhaps having another bike in bits distracts you from the more minor maintenance that's required on your main bike.

If you have 11 bikes, I would just focus on one at a time and get what you want rid of gone.

It's nice to have the space to work on the main bike without having to move other bikes about too.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have enough space for my 3 bikes, Suzuki 250, Honda CBF500 and my Honda CB250 (soon to be replaced because of that cunt mayor)

All 3 used for courier work and all runners.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding three a pain tbh. It's a lot of maintenance. One I use for commuting, one for touring/pillion or pleasure use. One was a project but has been in the family since 1980 so I'm attached to that one.

sl121011
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:00 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three is the (current) limit for me, but then I work 60-70 hours a week....

Daily use - MT03 (660)
Sunday best / minter - CD200
Project / runner - Triumph 5TA

That lot keeps me busy enough thank you very much. If you're not making progress with them or keeping up with basic maintenance then it's time to think very carefully. Rolling Eyes

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to pay good money for absolute shit on Ebay these days.

The fact you have made this thread suggests the situation is causing you a bit of stress, so bung them on Ebay as an auction and get shot of the ones you don't want. Someone will buy them so they can store them in their garage as a project for years on end too Very Happy As has been said above, if you loose money on them, put it down to experience. You've already said money isn't an issue.

Keeping the CB400 just to see it go round the clock seems a fairly invalid reason for keeping the bike. I remember you saying you don't even like the bike that much, so get rid of it.

I have 3 bikes in my garage currently and sometimes feel it's too much, and one of them isn't even mine! Both of the bikes that are mine are in good working order though, so a jolly ride is only ever the push of a button away.

PS. Get rid of the cars as well! Why do you need 4?!

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:28 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have 3 bikes and it's 1 too many in my opinion.

https://i.imgur.com/j3m4ylk.jpg

I'm going to swap the RSV4 for something next year and ditch the TNT.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal choice. 😁

Obviously my wife's ideal number of bikes that I own is far less than mine! 🤣

I have the faired commuter
Naked hooligan
Sentimental original

Given more space, I would have a supersport as well. So my ideal number would be 4. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2