Too many bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

would prefer one that I could use rather then 6 that I cant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:24 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do us a deal on the varadero and that's one gone Laughing

I currently have 3, 2 not usable but pennies if I went to sell them. Yours will net decent funds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We currently have 6 running bikes between us. A 1200 Bandit, a BMW R850R, a Ducati M900, a Ducati M750, a Zephyr 750 and a Hornet 600.

We also have a BMW R100RT and an R65 that need restoring and may possibly be a retirement project Very Happy

n + 1 I tell you Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for some it's a good idea to think logistically.

I live close to one of the biggest sources of new Kawasaki spares in the UK. It almost makes too much sense for me to buy Kawasaki's instead of anything else.

Also you'll never own or even try all the bikes you wanted to ride, and it's far better to me to have one or two bikes that you can dedicate your time and long term expense on, than just buying used bikes to run them for a year or so and then sell because you fancy a change.

The sort of little bikes I'm into could easily be catered for by any of the big four brands, there's not that much between them. But say I want Suzuki's, if I've got no history of them, no spares or workshop manuals and the nearest dealer is 30miles away then why would I make life hard?

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 20:48 - 23 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow managed to get up to 36 bikes at one point, wasn't really an issue of too many.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 07:13 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be of the opinion that you can never have too many bikes Wink

However, those would need to be in running order - I see it as a shame to have a lot of bikes only to have them deteriorate due to lack of use and / or neglect; I was a bit concerned that I’d killed my NC30 a few years back as it remained hidden away at the back of my parents’ garage. It took about 2 months’ worth of weekends to get up and running again, despite having taken precautions for long term storage :/

I’ve had dozens of bikes over the years but have only finally discovered the types of machines that I like the most. I probably still have too many, as it takes a lot of my time to keep them all in reasonable condition (especially in the middle of winter, when tinkering away in freezing conditions isn’t always top of my agenda).

However, the current fleet has been refined over some quite difficult decisions in the past; whether or not I truly like some of the bikes I’ve had; if I can afford to keep certain models running, lack of space, etc. Time plays a big part too - I find it takes a bit of time and dedication to single handedly keep them running, not to mention a bit of debating for which to take for a ride. I almost have a rota so that they all get used on a day by day basis (weather permitting of course). It’s all fun and games when playing the MOT-due date too Very Happy

If it were me, I’d think a little about those more difficult decisions - try and work out which bikes are truly beyond your skill / time / etc to get to working condition, and part with those first. Ebay is surprisingly good for shifting unwanted things like that, or as ’spares or repair’ for someone else’s collection. That’ll at least give you some funds / space / time to get the other bikes sorted, or you may also realise how much of a relief it is to unburden yourself, even if parting with a couple of them.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on three and it's one more than I honestly have time for. Having a 'fixer upper' when I really don't have the time for it anymore (five year old running around and a 6 month old puppy) just makes me sad seeing it lying at the back of the workshop knowing my enthusiasm for it died a long time ago.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the correct term to call someone that's had a fixer upper for 10years, and started several times doing little bits of cleaning up and parts refurbishment, but never going balls deep into a full resto? Whistle

And would they be more of a ****** if they had during this time spent money on new and used parts that they've still not fitted or used? Laughing

If said person had no kids and on average worked a 4day week every other week could they be called a different or more exaggerated word?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2