Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap way to make bike hard to steal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:59 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Cheap way to make bike hard to steal? Reply with quote

I'm getting a bike this week so I was hoping on advice to keep it secure.

My plan is DISC LOCK - £10
Chunky Chain - £30? - I'd like a recommendation on this because everytime I buy a chain in the past the key gradually gets worn out which causes issue.
Ground Anchor cemented into the ground - £20-30

That is my plan so far I don't really want to go over £100.
For practical reasons I have to park my bike on the drive so people will be able to see it, so it has to be somewhat secure.

I'm also reluctant to get an alarmed disk lock (think i may have one lying about somewhere) as they can be a bit to temperamental.

Edit: My bike is going to be worth about £1000 if that helps.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:06 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike and where in the UK?

An Almax chain or Pragmasis chain is over budget but is a good investment.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to update signature or tell us what bike then because..

adam277 wrote:
Current Bike: NONE :Sad: Working towards a newish R1200GS stallion

..is a bit more than £1000; unless you buy part of it, that is.

Alarmed disc locks, from what I've read on here, at pointless because cry wolf situation -- in as much as how many times do you jump up the window to a non existent thread before giving up and a real one occurs; and even then what do you really do?

Owning a £1000 bike, though, and only allotting £100 to secure it is pretty pointless; might as well get yourself a lock from poundland and have done with it.

Disc locks are better used on the rear sprocket, or disc, because the front can be lifted and the rear wheel will roll when pushed forward; often used to put bikes into vans; or go with both, if you've got the time.

Ground anchor's a good idea; any one is better than nothing I'd imagine.

Chain usually Almax or Pragmasis here; you won't find them anywhere but online.

You'll want a cover, too; and luggage to carry the chains around with you, too.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:26 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got the bike yet but either a ybr or cb500 or similar basically a cheap hack.

How much do you think I should spend on security?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:28 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in the UK are you?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Where in the UK are you?

City, or region, if you're not particularly feeling ready to invite all us for a BBQ in your front garden yet.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:36 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basildon essex

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:42 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

19mm+ Almax or Pragmasis chain with a squire lock and an appropriate ground anchor. It's enough to put off tooled up opportunists who haven't got angle grinders. I'd hope that those with angle grinders will have their sights set on more valuable bikes than yours.

The security is an investment.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get:

Kryptonite new york disc lock £40 x 2 (front disc and rear sprocket)
Almax series 3 16mm chain and squire padlock (£150ish) (a series 4 or bigger would be better for Essex I would think though).
A bike cover.

A £10 disc lock isn't going to cut it unfortunately. The only time I support a disc lock that cheap, is if it's the only one that will fit (like the xena x2 on my rear disc. (but I also lock the rear sprocket)

It might seem overkill, but it means they need to make a fair few cuts before it's ridable. Even if you have a grinder or 3, why do that when you can lift the other bikes that are about?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either a fuck off loud alarm that goes off if your bike is moved a mm, in the hope it scares away the thief or if not gives you time to wake up and tool up.

Or you could go the other way with a silent alarm/baby monitor if your feeling wide awake and ready at all times (but mostly night) to go out all stealthy and sneek up on your bikes attackers.

If neither of the above sound plausible or ideal for you, then your better off booby trapping the bike every night or rigging up a folding electric fence connected to a mains supply.

Only real way to prevent someone taking your bike away if they really want it is the 3 'D's
1, Disarm
2, Disable
3, De-motivate

You could add De-cappitate to this, but I don't think you'll get away with chopping up too many theives before you get caught and sentenced to a good long stretch. If going this route I'd suggest being as brutal and savage as your imagination will allow, as if your going to get put away in a cell, you might as well go down being known as a right fucking animal not an accidental murderer. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:02 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the logic in buying expensive chains as you can use them once you get a more expensive bike.

I cant justify the cost of £250+ though upfront. If they want it bad enough they can have it. My job is just to make my bike more hassle then someone else's.

Also double disclock? I did that before along with a chain and it got tedious fast. Especially when your doing it 3/4 times a day.

So basically it's get a big Fuck off chain or don't bother?
I mean this is potentially a rusty ybr that's been dropped a few times we are talking about not a fireblade.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
Basildon essex

Sounds like good grounds for an annual bus pass.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:12 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
I get the logic in buying expensive chains as you can use them once you get a more expensive bike.

I cant justify the cost of £250+ though upfront. If they want it bad enough they can have it. My job is just to make my bike more hassle then someone else's.

Also double disclock? I did that before along with a chain and it got tedious fast. Especially when your doing it 3/4 times a day.

So basically it's get a big Fuck off chain or don't bother?
I mean this is potentially a rusty ybr that's been dropped a few times we are talking about not a fireblade.

It's really up to you and I guess that's why you pay insurance. 2 disc locks is definitely a hassle, but it is to prevent the bike being wheeled away on the back wheel. It also means they have to break locks, rather than just unbolting a front brake disc until they get it away.

If you get one thing though, a chain is probably your best option. Pragmasis do a 13mm chain for £63 at 1.5m, but you also have to buy a padlock. Probably a false economy though, as might as well go for a 16mm one.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:45 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have a single 16mm+ chain from Almax (or Pragmasis) on it's own over a cheap disc lock and chain from, say, Oxford. In fact that's exactly what I did.

My logic is that you can get a cheap chain off with croppers, and many disc locks off with levers or hammers. I've done both for legitimate reasons before. Both can be done fairly quickly, but also near silently.

Nobody is getting through an Almax without an angle grinder. That's like having an alarm that only ever goes off when it's a legitimate theft attempt.

You can always add more security at a later date. I've now got a cheap alarmed lock through my sprocket, just as a visual deterrent really (I don't think there's a battery in the alarm). This is on a bike I never ride though, so multiple locks isn't so much an issue for me. I'd lose patience if I ever ride it regularly again and would resort back to chain alone.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:30 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a couple of metres of 16mm (or larger) anchor or lift chain. Much cheaper than Almax or Pragmasis, probably not croppable, will take a few seconds less to go through with an angle grinder. A patient and industrious person could probably hacksaw through it, which rules out that method for pikies.

Spend the savings on a crossbow. They were coming right for you.

If you're not prepared to murderkill a pikey, what do you imagine you'll do during the extra few seconds that an Almax or Pragmassis will give you? Fvcks given by tooled up career pikies are approaching zero.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:48 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Only real way to prevent someone taking your bike away if they really want it is the 3 'D's
1, Disarm
2, Disable
3, De-motivate

You could add De-cappitate to this, but I don't think you'll get away with chopping up too many theives before you get caught and sentenced to a good long stretch. If going this route I'd suggest being as brutal and savage as your imagination will allow, as if your going to get put away in a cell, you might as well go down being known as a right fucking animal not an accidental murderer. Wink

This is what is wrong with our country. We are expected to act like sheep and run away from people who attack us or take our valuables. If we don't do that, we will very likely find ourselves in more trouble than the animals who prey on the decent citizens. The justification for this is that the police will protect the citizenry and that all force is in the hands of the state. The problem is - that's all a big lie. The police will not protect you or even investigate your loss and they use no force unless you are roaming about with a gun in public. Moped criminals only have to take off their helmets to be given a free pass and when they do, pursuing police desist from following them in case the poor little fellahs get hurt. In fact, they should be riding them down and running over them repeatedly. Then they would be doing their job of preventing crime and disorder and protecting the respectable public.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:16 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

double disclock? I did that before along with a chain and it got tedious fast. Especially when your doing it 3/4 times a day.

Not as tedious as walking in motorbike gear as some fcuker has stolen your bike.

I have a 16mm chain and a disclock which are used every time I lock the bike when away from home
At home 16mm chain and disc lock and 1 10mm chain and disc lock plus 2 ground anchors and a cover.
Drive blocked off with sons car

Unlocking chains and locks takes a few seconds each just have to plan journeys and factor in slightly extra time needed

If they want my bike they are gonna have to work for it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:22 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony1951 wrote:
This is what is wrong with our country. We are expected to act like sheep and run away from people who attack us or take our valuables. If we don't do that, we will very likely find ourselves in more trouble than the animals who prey on the decent citizens.

In Trowbridge, you're allowed to kill someone who tries to rob you.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15547400.Jury_clears_Hayden_Maslen_of_Jordan_Taylor_murder/

He did however get 20 months for possession of a knife in public.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15549832.Hayden_Maslen_jailed_for_having_knife_in_fatal_brawl/

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
Basildon essex

Good luck Laughing

You'll need more than thirty quids worth of chain.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint it all bright pink.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:23 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Paint it all bright pink.

Essex? I thought it mostly was.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This is what is wrong with our country. We are expected to act like sheep and run away from people who attack us or take our valuables. If we don't do that, we will very likely find ourselves in more trouble than the animals who prey on the decent citizens. The justification for this is that the police will protect the citizenry and that all force is in the hands of the state. The problem is - that's all a big lie. The police will not protect you or even investigate your loss and they use no force unless you are roaming about with an air toy gun in public your garden. Moped criminals only have to take off their helmets to be given a free pass and when they do, pursuing police desist from following them in case the poor little fellahs get hurt because lazyness or politics. In fact, they should be riding them down and running over them repeatedly. Then they would be doing their job of preventing crime and disorder and protecting the respectable public.

Fixed.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was put to Facebook a while ago - re-using an Abus car steering lock through the rear sprocket of a motorbike

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35481893_2074432772804259_528504603470200832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeFBU4NKZr_A8DBKvr9yCyEcDdi51stAAuOQQLVLxO2VZKwEKyHwVZQrxXPoyt9CWSm2j7Riz9TTSNXdvHTl8bBaEb_k7alimbptgTzzT0uP9w&oh=fa6ff75cebde33bd0fb697e67f0ca154&oe=5BA5876C

Bit of research suggests it's called an Abus Carblock 73.
https://img.tradera.net/images/142/274724142_5e99dfa4-4ee1-4f39-a7b8-161c9c1db433.jpg

The two loops just happen to line up with the holes in his sprocket though, so I imagine it won't work for every bike. I'd probably turn it the other way as well, so the handle couldn't be used as a lever but on the face of it it seems like a good idea.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenious, but IMHO I don't see what (access permitting) that a D-lock through the Swingarm and a rear wheel spoke does not do better?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:25 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a D lock is easier to crop or cut than a steering lock that's through the rear sprocket.

"fuck that, let's go and find one that's easier to steal"

Or using a steering lock like that could just be a reason to carry something which could very easily be used as a weapon.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2