BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New guy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DirtyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:53 - 24 Jun 2018    Post subject: New guy Reply with quote

Hello all! Just signed on as I'm going to start "resurrecting" a "94 CB1000 Big One (Super Four on your side of Atlantic) shortly and may need some help. I just retired (I'm 66) .

I started riding in 1974 on a Triumph Trophy 250 single that I rode into scrap and sold. I last rode in 2012 when I went down on my Harley between a van and truck at approx. 50mph (wearing t-shirt, jeans, gloves, boots, and 3/4 helmet). The bike fell on me, ensuring road rash, broken hip, skull fracture, cracked cervical vertebra, and severe concussion. After 6 yrs, I no longer feel queasy when I look at my stored bikes (I own 6.....the CB1000, "02 Harley Dyna, '83 CB1100F, '82CB750F, '81CB750K, and "96 Kaw Vulcan 1500 - so its time to dust them off and get them running again.

The CB1000 was running well when I bought it (before my wreck), but it had been dropped on it's right side, ruining the orig. tank - it now sports a black "Super Four" tank from Germany. It's had a larger aftermarket cam and valve springs installed, along with a 6 speed transmission, a Two Brothers exhaust, and 37mm Keihin flatslide carbs. On the down side, the previous owner replaced the OEM signals with tiny aftermarket replacements, removed the grab handle from the tail and cut off it's mounting "ears" from the frame....F'n idiot.

He also replaced the OEM wheels with 17"ers from a CB1100XX, but neglected to shorten the kickstand - so when the stand is down, a slight bump or stiff wind can topple the bike. Fortunately, he saved the OEM wheels, so I'll put new rubber on them and not alter the kickstand.

I managed to find OEM signals, so I think I've got everything I need to bring the bike back to orig. condition - save the mods to install the flatslide carbs. However, if anyone knows of a good cond. red color tank, either Super Four or Big One decals - I'd be interested.
Thank you.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:55 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty sounding crash!

Good luck with the project.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 25 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF.

Eclectic mixture of machinery!

Well done on getting back on a bike after that crash, I doubt I would have. (I doubt wifie would have let me, more to the point)

If you want to have a nose around to see what second hand spares are available from UK I suspect our sources are pretty similar to yours, - Ebay. Laughing

For new 'old' Honda spares, we have a company call David Silvers that quite often has or can get hold of rarer bike bits.
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Anyway, good luck with your rebuild and how about some pictures of your machinery so we can take the piss out of the Harley. Wink

AaronJohnson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:27 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy.

We wear approved helmets and CE armoured clothing on this side of the pond. You might manage to extend your riding career now. 😂

And we drive on the sensible side of the road too which helps.. 😊

DirtyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:30 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: New guy Reply with quote

Thank you all for the welcome.

Yes, the same gear is sold over here too - it just doesn't do you any good if you don't wear it. I normally do wear full coverage helmet and body armor. Unfortunately, that day, I said to hell with it....nice warm day for a ride. Well, from now on, it's strictly ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time).

Thanks to the concussion, I have no memory of the accident - but I do remember the cost of what my medical bills would have been if I'd had no medical insurance. That was the most frightening aspect of the experience Thank you for the advice.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: New guy Reply with quote

DirtyT wrote:
After 6 yrs, I no longer feel queasy when I look at my stored bikes (I own 6.....the CB1000, "02 Harley Dyna, '83 CB1100F, '82CB750F, '81CB750K, and "96 Kaw Vulcan 1500 - so its time to dust them off and get them running again.

Welcome to the forum. It's a good place, just be prepared for some stout banter and don't be easily offended and you'll enjoy yourself.

4 years ago ish, someone pulled out on me, resulting in my left arm now being largely made of nails and plates. Took me a while to not shit myself every time I went past a side road with someone preparing to pull out.

You'll do fine once you get out and about!

DirtyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:26 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: New guy Reply with quote

temeluchus - Thanks for your advice. I'm not terribly concerned if someone gets overly critical or harsh. I' a member of the CB1100F forum over here - there was another member who was expert with these bikes (former drag racer), usually had great advice, but he was not shy about being being harshly critical and obscene all at once. Realizing that I had deserved his criticism (just not the profanity), I learned to let it go. Like a lot of other members on that forum, I realized that I could learn a lot from him.....so I held my tongue and paid attention.

Yeah, being in an accident can make you hyper vigilant to avoid it happening again (not a bad thing). After my experiences, especially with the cage drivers that claim they didn't see me, I keep my head on a swivel, checking the mirrors, watching the driver's side mirror to see where he/she is looking, even watching the front tires to see if they're about to move into my lane with no notice. I don't know about the UK, but over here so many people refuse to signal their moves in advance, like they're supposed to keep it a secret.

After years of buying CB parts from Ebay and other CB1100F forum members, I'm working on moving my hoard into my garage loft (to join the pieces already there), organizing, and inventorying the lot. It's a lot of work, but I'm getting excited - itching to ride again. Don't think I'll have a problem getting back in the saddle.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: New guy Reply with quote

DirtyT wrote:
...watching the driver's side mirror to see where he/she is looking,

The sentiment is nice, but you frequently find although they make the motions of checking, they're on autopilot, and a lot of the time if anything (you) is actually there, it doesn't sink in. Even then, it's rare to see a driver shoulder check blind spots. Try not to sit in the blind spot, they genuinely can't see you then.

DirtyT wrote:
...even watching the front tires to see if they're about to move into my lane with no notice.

This tells you exactly what they're about to do. If you watch the wheels, you can usually see it coming a mile off, irrespective of indicators.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1