Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommendation required for a motorcycle maintenance course

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Recommendation required for a motorcycle maintenance course Reply with quote

Hi there,

I’m trying to find an evening class in London or Essex to learn some basic maintenance skills. Whilst it’s tempting to just have a go at home with my manual I use the bike daily for commuting so can’t really afford to cock things up. Plus I don’t have a full set of stands, all of the required gear or much space to work in at home and I don’t want my wife giving me grief about any mess.

I found one in havering but they no longer run it now due to low numbers. The only other thing I can find is proper apprenticeship style courses which are during the day and for people less than half my age.

Any recommendations would be very helpful. I work in West Kensington and live in Brentwood but would be willing to take a bit of a detour on the way home.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:15 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the Oval Motorcycle Centre DIY shoppe where you can go to use their ramps and tools and get advice aaaaaand it's gone out of business. Maybe something similar has sprung up though?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:26 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06914869/filing-history

The Statement of affairs from the 7th of November last years shows a £180k unsecured loan that's gone. Laughing

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the winter I run a part day very Basic course though London Motorcycle Riders Club

I guess I run it 4/6 times depending on take up from October until May

Search London Motorcycle Riders Club to find us
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Recommendation required for a motorcycle maintenance cou Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Hi there,

I’m trying to find an evening class in London or Essex to learn some basic maintenance skills. Whilst it’s tempting to just have a go at home with my manual I use the bike daily for commuting so can’t really afford to cock things up. Plus I don’t have a full set of stands, all of the required gear or much space to work in at home and I don’t want my wife giving me grief about any mess.

I found one in havering but they no longer run it now due to low numbers. The only other thing I can find is proper apprenticeship style courses which are during the day and for people less than half my age.

Any recommendations would be very helpful. I work in West Kensington and live in Brentwood but would be willing to take a bit of a detour on the way home.

I would honestly just start small at home and go from there. You can check youtube for how to videos too.

You're probably better putting your money into tools and reading online.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:30 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike do you have?

I've found the most used bikes often have loads of videos online.
Also I've often found service guides made by owners for some of the bikes I've owned. These are great as they are basically a Haynes manual without all the filler.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to pick up a non runner cheap on gumtree and play with that. Or individual parts. I bought a brake caliper once to play with as I didn't understand. But it was only £5!

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think if you go on a course it will somehow give you the room to do it, get the right stands and also stop your missus winging at you?
Get a haynes manual and just have a go yourself. If your bike has a centre stand you dont need anything anyway.
Your missus will still whinge about either the cost of a course or you doing it in the kitchen, mine did.

OGR

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:53 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delboys Garage on YouTube has guides to the majority of basic maintainence tasks.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:05 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I'm sure it can be a laugh for a group of guys to hang out and chat shit about motorcycles under the guise of 'learning' Mr. Green

DirtyT
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:43 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Recommendation required for a motorcycle maintenance course Reply with quote

If you can, find a forum for the specific make and model of bike you own. That's what I did in 2009 after buying a cheap CB750K non-runner. A lot of them have specific sections for basic maintenance as well as technical and performance issues. Not to mention a few other members who are willing to advise you.

These days, I can not only maintain my bikes, I can do things like graft on swingarms from different makes, rebuild carburetors and engines. There's no better way to learn than to do it yourself.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

qarka wrote:
Delboys Garage on YouTube has guides to the majority of basic maintainence tasks.

Be wary of his vids. Some are just fucking dangerous. (you don't slap copperslip on your fucking brake pads),

Everybody has to learn. You're not born knowing how to repair maintain a bike. That's what owners manuals, haynes guides and forums or Youtube are for.
For example, the spotty teenage lad down the street has gone from total novice that couldn't check tyre pressure, to doing a swingarm swap a week or two back, as the old one was rusted to fuck. He also did his clutch plates without issue, same with valve clearances, a few weeks before.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1