Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Short (1 week) vacation advice / locations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:11 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Short (1 week) vacation advice / locations Reply with quote

Ive just returned from my 30th birthday in Toronto last week. awesome place. would recommend.

met a girl on the last few days (id planned to meet up with her earlier but we were both busy). Hit it off straight away. Shame we didnt have more time.

Anyway we've decided to go away together, since we both like to travel and .. yeh.

Trying to think of places to go that I havent been that a week is long enough to visit. We thought Peru but that seems like too long a journey to be worth just a week there. Maybe Vietnam? Thoughts?

Have been to most places in Europe, although not Iceland (northern lights)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Vietnam but you'd be mental to go all the way from the UK just for a week. You need at least a fortnight as you'd be spending 2 days at least getting there and back. Not a high enough return rate. You'd also be missing out on the country's best bits as they take time to work your way to from HCMC or Hanoi.

You didn't mention but presume she's coming from US?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:49 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh my thoughts exactly... i want to do the whole vietnam bike thing (top gear)

she is coming from Canada yes.. so either way one of us will be travelling a bunch,,,

just kinda need a cheap place to go that we can soak in some sights as well as relax, and where a week wont seem like we just got there by the time we have to go back.... and also thats not too far from either UK or Canada :S

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceland is a really brilliant place to visit and ticks the box in terms of a reasonably convenient location for you both. However, cheap it ain't, sadly.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:58 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to Iceland in the Summer, not the Winter. Lots of weird shit to see and do. I can't think what you'd do there for a week in the Winter, it's dark all the time and freezing cold.

If you do go, book your flights and accommodation but sort out trips etc when you get there. There is a street in Rejkavic with loads of tour companies, decide what you'd like to do before you go then book them on the first morning. If you really like the American culture and want lots of people Ohmygod-ing at the top of their voice on every trip, there are companies that cater for Americans and companies that cater for Europeans. You'll quickly work out which.

I really enjoyed a hike/swim in a geothermal area, glacier walking and the quad bike tour of the geothermal power plant and Mid Atlantic rift. There is also kick-arse mountain biking, white water rafting and scuba diving as well as the usual sight-seeing tours.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:08 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yeh... we will be going in October, so unless the heatwave continues it might get stupidly cold. Shes just woke up and her hints were

"Warm and sunny with lots to see, but could also use a day or two beach relaxing"

So... south east europe (not spain greece italy) or central america if anyone has recommendations?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubai is very bearable in October. Well Abu Dhabi certainly is in November, so. That's about equals on flight time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:00 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Short (1 week) vacation advice / locations Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Holiday fever, chap.

Where does she want to go?

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:14 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Warm and sunny with lots to see, but could also use a day or two beach relaxing"

Just looked at flights to Dubai (for me) pretty cheap like ~£300-350 return. No idea if Dubai is as expensive as it looks however..Probs have a budget of around £1500 all in

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I would go to Iceland in the Summer, not the Winter. Lots of weird shit to see and do. I can't think what you'd do there for a week in the Winter, it's dark all the time and freezing cold.

+1, but IIRC it's a bit of a trade-off as you absolutely need to be able to see the northern lights properly, which won't happen midsummer. Think we did it in Spring?

stinkwheel wrote:
I really enjoyed a hike/swim in a geothermal area, glacier walking and the quad bike tour of the geothermal power plant and Mid Atlantic rift. There is also kick-arse mountain biking, white water rafting and scuba diving as well as the usual sight-seeing tours.

Although I didn't do it, it's a great place for biking at the right time of year, especially if you're up for a bit of off-roady stuff. We did do the scuba diving thing down the aforementioned rift, which was really something else (as was the price tag). (I never thought I'd ever find myself posting a pic of my missus on BCF, but this is her Wink with one hand on the American tectonic plate, and the other on Europe. Fortunately, no earthquakes that day)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do northern lights, Iceland is totally do-able as a long weekend from either Canada or UK.

What about Malta? They speak English. A lot of stuff in a very small area. Not for everyone though.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maldives and smash the shit out of her and the all inclusive for a week. Take her on a private hired boat ride to
see dolphins if you feel like treating her. Tell them its your honeymoon and blag an upgrade. I've had two honeymoons
in the Maldives. Which is funny because my actual honeymoon entirely took place on US soil.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF BBQ 3-5 August, Bromsgrove.

If you're still together after 48 hours of motoX, fire, explosions, Stroh, moonshine, over-cooked burgers, a portaloo shared with Ghostrider and huge quanities of funguys (geddit) you'll know she's a keeper.

HTH

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico?
If all you want to do is eat, drink, shag and sit in the sun there are some really good all-inclusive places up the coast from the tourist hell-hole that is Cancun

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:36 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very interesting and useful answers here. SkyScanner is raping the shit out of Booking.com for prices (in case anyone is looking also). Though i dont think i can quite get away with more browsing flight costs at work today.

I will be continuing my scanning using BCF's good advice later tonight. They ALL sounds pretty great.

Even the BBQ. but that would just be for me. As much as id love to slap her on the back of the bike and come down i dont think a muddy field in Bromsgrove would entice her over the pond Very Happy

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:50 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If you want to do northern lights, Iceland is totally do-able as a long weekend from either Canada or UK.

Except you can already see the northern lights in most of Canada outside the city's.

Avoid Mexico and Cuba it Canada`s version of Tenerife/Benidorm they all go there in winter for cheap all inclusive resorts. everything else is too far to travel for just a week.

You better off just taking her for a week around UK/Europe if not Iceland, direct flights from Toronto to London are not too expensive.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 26 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe suggest a week in Japan and take an empty suitcase with you so that you can drag her round all the back Street JDM performance and tuning shops, filling the case with JDM only presents for your Scrooby? Downside is that you'd probably want alot more than £1500 spending money. Laughing

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:12 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week isn't long enough for Vietnam. I was there two weeks, and I think you need at least three to do it properly.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
A week isn't long enough for Vietnam. I was there two weeks, and I think you need at least three to do it properly.

More like 5 realistically. I agree with you. For a small country, it packs a punch.

Whoever said Japan from the UK for a week needs head checking.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:41 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave her a number to pick between 1 and 5 (she didnt know what was behind each number)

1 iceland
2 marmaris
3 cyprus
4 algarve
5 dominican (was the ££ option but fate decides)

she chose 4.

So. obvious next question

dont want to go super touristy parts but also want a place with nice views and stuff to do. prefer to rent a villa than a hotel

any experience on BCF?

Cheers again

Ash

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest maybe staying in a couple of different places.

Stayed in Faro itself last November. Wasn't quite enough to do for a full week. The food tour was good. Best cocktail bar I'd eever drunk in. I also explored the via fomosa by Kayak and mountain bike. Also good road cycling up into the mountains. MTB algarve hire out decent quality bikes.

I went back last month and stayed in a villa at the side of the Guadania river near Alcoutim. Very scenic, but also quite isolated. Watersports (we had canoes and a sailing dinghy with the villa), swimming, walking and mountain biking.

You can hire a royal enfield from a company called Soulful bikes and ride it up into the mountains along national route 2. Be aware the pillion seat is hella uncomfortable.

Tavira looked nice if you want a more authentically Portugese, less touristy seaside town. Although Faro was a bit that way too, most of the Brits head for thebeaches. There is no beach at Faro itself, you need to take a boat or bus.

The portugese are all nice, don't treat you like shit on their shoe.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PxSV_TKtPgqqTS7geYfbERZt2mx1KZEESmQXEipqjWK5vRGhIlDaFBYSl8Wa7zfOkOLTRnUuIk1vvd6dbPZ6bj4obY6cKWxFxmYw0fzMy92KHorgZLMFWJ2RPft7HpBodqpUNiYk8A=w611-h458-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uR96l__iLtJt1ckScPueJ09iMrstuOBQIMiIs1Ecta2EvNsu1LtKfj2b90jMYBajxY4p7ilguJE-PB2hEqFK9aC3MBqJ4PXRrQmL1doZCbO89jmBq0A02HfNSYJ12dN4ALBXuGy4_A=w611-h458-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1zVbEUoK1LoO8gSKnPK2BLaTGploM3oBIu6OsKHURCtGwOG5RnwYaGNNiUdEXdhc77echKXd8THh9kZ2wrB0Laf2OKYgnggbgjli0Wb4_DQAMqDSWozMGhxtCPpLWlJikdS3WFMLUg=w611-h458-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/b0A82siC0AL5r2eVv6YshvqdSmruy--_IVxZrsvk2D9OuW4JOfkdjZmAEb985f3APaPrpO60y56AMaE07e5SeuzOaddVm4J-Y_8RPsy2ZHiUL7W-lI_gsUAxZ6G1lR-MTQblOuFbag=w611-h458-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gbiXg0Hms_401CXMMJ9UN0KYkjI8nAglPB47PmlIsVnem6ZeWsoPVRF5gkdirgUW2xqCUv2ldyPmMIAFrkb_25ZBggGokHuup33OXZ74wImS7RyxsLwaF8BrIqZ09sqcijNTYaNLMA=w611-h458-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RH82FDkKEZ7ifyar25yURjToCTveLERHeZxpiLFp8KyFB8N5scDgp2EwGSMOsVgOi6-3iNfi9Lmo92b5fVawFJPvk08BnDZKYxITCYWGhFnpZ_nf6XOEqe1PC4qRmcUq7e8TfhZbQQ=w344-h458-no

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:37 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

top reply - great pics ! appreciate the info for sure. jealous of the kayaking and the lake/river looks amazing to swim in.

just been looking at Faro some really nice aparments there for stupidly cheap/night. im thinking the budget might allow a bit more than it did in Canada ! ($9 a pint plus tip!)

i think we can do something very similar as we only want a few days beach and a few exploring/activities.... the nights can always be used for cocktails and enjoying the high life Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:27 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
top reply - great pics ! appreciate the info for sure. jealous of the kayaking and the lake/river looks amazing to swim in.

just been looking at Faro some really nice aparments there for stupidly cheap/night. im thinking the budget might allow a bit more than it did in Canada ! ($9 a pint plus tip!)

i think we can do something very similar as we only want a few days beach and a few exploring/activities.... the nights can always be used for cocktails and enjoying the high life Very Happy

The do a walking food tour of Faro where they show you round the market then take you to try some typical dishes as you wander round the town. If you're interested in this kind of thing, do it at the start because they pointed out all the best places to go and eat. Was reasonably expensive but worth it. Starts in the covered market where they show you round the fish, fruit and bakery stalls, book online. Eating is a big part of my holidays.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:20 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed in Olhos de Agua near Faro cracking place
At low tide there are fresh water springs on the Beach where the locals fill up their water bottles,
Great cocktail bar owned by a rally driver not sure if still there plenty of nights were spent there getting smashed Thumbs Up

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:11 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: gone for this

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6177101?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&check_in=2018-10-03&check_out=2018-10-10&s=jfQ3CsfJ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2