Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

High Mileage Blackbird. To buy or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Louie7Oaks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:59 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: High Mileage Blackbird. To buy or not? Reply with quote

I'm looking at a 1997 Blackbird on Ebay that is up for £1495. Seriously tempted, and it has the Givi wingrack fitted that will take all my luggage. Trouble is it's done 76K. I know they are capable of huge mileages, but is this a purchase I should really consider, and is the price right? There are all the service records to 60K and that was a major service apparently. Opinions would be appreciated please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:29 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's reach that mileage it's probably been taken care of.

How long has he owned it for? Id be skeptical if he has only owned it a year and racked up high miles.
Try and see why he is selling it.

Edit here it is for the others.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR1100xx-cbr-1100-xx-blackbird-sports-tourer-motorcycle/323302379830?hash=item4b4652d136:g:pFUAAOSwJo5bJQYB

Bike is being sold by blazing motorcycles in Keighley who have quite a few bad reviews. I suspect it goes with the terrority when selling bikes for cheap but they don't seem to mind selling faulty bikes or even bikes that are not Road legal.
From the reviews I'd steer clear unless you know your stuff, or bring someone clued up with you.

Also get the number plate so you get checks it's mot history.
There seems to be some real nice ones on eBay though if you can stretch to £2000/£2500

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
adam277 wrote:
From the reviews I'd steer clear unless you know your stuff, or bring someone clued up with you.

I take it that you were at Blazing Motorcycles when you wrote that.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:40 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw i've toyed with the idea of buying a b-bird - but one thing I kept coming across was complaints relating to suspension (both front and back). If you're considering a purchase you'll have seen some of the many online discussions - inc. potential remedies and upgrades.

Sag in particular can be way over what it should be. I'm not not small, nor light - and I err on the brisk side, pace-wise. So I'd need it to be sorted. But that's not easy. If there's no (fairly recent?) paperwork mentioning suspension work, maybe budget for upgrades and set-ups if you haven't already.

Personally, I'd never buy anything off a dealer. But I'm terminally cynical, and also think it's usually easier to 'read' a private seller.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:52 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Ste for banning folk who don't link to the advert.

They're saying that it's not been serviced for 16,000 miles, and they're not interested in doing so. Guess what the valve check interval is.

Marquez sticker (good for 20mph on the top end) is a bad sign.

I'd approach that one with eyes wide open and earplugs in to avoid whatever lies the dealer is prepared to invent on the spot. I'd far, far rather buy a bike of that age and mileage direct from a happy owner with a garage full of tools and a bad back.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: High Mileage Blackbird. To buy or not? Reply with quote

Louie7Oaks wrote:
I'm looking at a 1997 Blackbird on Ebay that is up for £1495. Seriously tempted, and it has the Givi wingrack fitted that will take all my luggage. Trouble is it's done 76K. I know they are capable of huge mileages, but is this a purchase I should really consider, and is the price right? There are all the service records to 60K and that was a major service apparently. Opinions would be appreciated please!

When you're considering going for a bike of that milage, I would compare it to the cost of a bike of less milage.

When you can get something like this, with 26k miles on it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR1100XX-SUPER-BLACKBIRD-CBR-1100-XX-VERY-CLEAN-BIKE-12M-MOT-1999-T/292603352374?hash=item442084d536:g:7dIAAOSwq4lbEJEL

I would spend the extra £500 to £700 and get that.

It also doesn't look nearly as bad cosmetically.

By the time you're done with it too, it'll be moon miles (well maybe not, but for a market with lower average miles it will be) and will be harder to shift, when there's bikes like these available for little extra money.

Also, the marquez stickers and damaged race cans are a bit of a put off for me. Not because they're there, but give more of an insight into the owner's style. Then again, the wingrack on the rear is a good thing, and tells a different story.

EDIT: Something doesn't look right with the black paintwork on the frame and rear hugger. It looks black rattle canned to me, when comparing it to the other one. Also the front calipers look like they've been resprayed too.

It's fair enough for some painting to be done on a bike that's done a fair few miles. My own bike has had wheels, swingarm, calipers etc painted. It was done well though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:54 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: High Mileage Blackbird. To buy or not? Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
When you can get something like this, with 26k miles on it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR1100XX-SUPER-BLACKBIRD-CBR-1100-XX-VERY-CLEAN-BIKE-12M-MOT-1999-T/292603352374?hash=item442084d536:g:7dIAAOSwq4lbEJEL

I would spend the extra £500 to £700 and get that.

When it's actually had 12 months MOT put on it, and not by the seller or their mate across the street.

I agree in principle though that there's no need to go for 76,000 mile bikes unless there's really nothing else remotely comparable out there.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Blazing Motorcycles wrote:

WE ARE A LIMITED RELAIBLE COMING

I'd avoid it just for that gibberish.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Blazing Motorcycles wrote:

WE ARE A LIMITED RELAIBLE COMING

I'd avoid it just for that gibberish.

Definitely sounds like the person who wrote the ad has been blazing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With higher mileages stuff, you need to watch the consumables too. If you need to stick three discs, pads, chain and sprockets, headstock and wheel bearinga and two tyres on it, you just doubled the price. Exhaust? ouch.

But the thinking is good. Get a cheap blackbird. Drop another £2000 upgrading the brakes and suspension and you have a real weapon on your hands.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

76k miles, £1495, I'm going to say no.

It'll need stuff doing to it so spend that extra money on buying one that's better.

Sub £2,500 Blackbirds for sale: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcycles-Vehicles/9800/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=honda%20blackbird&_dcat=9806&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=2500

Increase the budget further and you get even more choice. Smile

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
76k miles, £1495, I'm going to say no.

It'll need stuff doing to it so spend that extra money on buying one that's better.

Sub £2,500 Blackbirds for sale: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motorcycles-Vehicles/9800/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=honda%20blackbird&_dcat=9806&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=2500

Increase the budget further and you get even more choice. Smile

yeah noticed this one earlier, wonder what reserve he's got on it...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-cbr-1100-xx-super-blackbird/253708715019?hash=item3b1237c40b:g:lLIAAOSwaYVbL6qh

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody else noticed it's doing 220mph and the odometer probably doesn't even work as a result. I'll bet it's closer to 100k miles.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Last edited by mattsprattuk on 04:08 - 29 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
Nobody else noticed it's doing 220mph and the tacho probably doesn't even work as a result. I'll bet it's closer to 100k miles.

Whoah. Wtf.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
No.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my 2002 with 26k on the clock for 1500 quid. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busted clocks stinks of, "It runs but it's fucked, chop it in to a dealer who doesn't give a fuck and be shot of it"

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:51 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they've just taken that photo after turning the ignition when the clocks do their full range of movement?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Or they've just taken that photo after turning the ignition when the clocks do their full range of movement?

Are the idiot lights like oil pressure and neutral not supposed to come on?
It looks like a bit of a dodgy heap to me, but one mans rubbish....

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

'97 was analogue, carbs, etc so not sure instruments did the pre-start full sweep thing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:27 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Are the idiot lights like oil pressure and neutral not supposed to come on?

Good point but who knows how long they stay on for.

I do agree though that it looks like a dodgy heap of crap. Laughing

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I thought this as my bike does this too, but this bike doesn't do that.

It's definitely got something wrong with it.

https://youtu.be/4jQo_78Fr90?t=55

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:39 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal experience of Blazing Motorcycles here.

I bought my first big bike from them 5 years ago. 97 RF600. The were friendly and I never had any issues with the bike but that was probably down to a bit of luck in picking a bike that had been looked after by previous owners.

I got a months parts an labor warranty so I had a month to find anything serious. I didn't find anything but I get the impression they wouldn't have any issue upholding the warranty if it were needed.

I work up the road from them and frequently visit just for the pleasure of looking round bike places. They have a lot of older bikes in there but the odd newer one.

I've got it on good authority that they get most of their bikes from a larger dealer called Rite Bike. Rite Bike won't put anything above a certain age on their forecourt so Blazing Motorcycles get them, touch em up and ship em out.

To conclude, if you're lucky like I was you'll get a good one. Otherwise I'd be wanting to know my stuff before considering buying from them.

Nice looking bike though.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Rite Bike were dodgy, weren't they?

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Blackbird owner here, and nope, doesn't do that on start up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2