Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old law on passing cyclists

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Old law on passing cyclists Reply with quote

Sorry if repost.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/6654347/drive-too-close-cyclists-three-points-licence-fine-new-laws/amp/

Last edited by pompousporcupine on 17:18 - 29 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:32 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a new law.

The Times article the Shitrag links to says:

"Drivers who pass too close to cyclists will be targeted for fines from today amid concerns that they are discouraging people from getting on their bikes.

Police forces will be encouraged to use powers to punish motorists who intimidate cyclists by failing to give them enough space.

In some areas forces have already imposed £100 fines and three penalty points for careless driving when passing less than 1.5m from bike"

inb4 fines for cyclists (pedal and motor) who pass cars with 1.5 meters. Shocked

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further down the article "The operation, launched in September 2016".

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:43 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just inconsiderate driving. Dredd has been able to dispose of that by FPN since 2013. All that's changed is that some faceless unaccountable back office wonk has chosen 1.5m as a magic number for FPN purposes.

That doesn't mean that you'd be prosecuted if you laugh it off, and certainly doesn't mean that you'll be convicted.

FWIW, I give pedalists as much room as possible by default, and I mean I'll go all the way to the right hand kerb unless there's something stopping me.

But if I see a pedalist riding to their own interpretation of road traffic laws, I'll cheerfully overtake them through any gap, on either side of them.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:46 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recently landed in Australia. Fucking gay as you like... Now these cunts ride two abreast and moan when you pass them.

Thankfully I drive a fuelled and boosted diesel.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
This recently landed in Australia. Fucking gay as you like... Now these cunts ride two abreast and moan when you pass them.

Thankfully I drive a fuelled and boosted diesel.

You need to understand the science of riding two abreast and why it is allowed.

Two bikes in sigle file take up more 'passing distance' than a car. So overtakes are more dangerous due to the time the overtaking vehicle is on the wrong side of the road.

Two abreast uses much less 'passing distance' than a car.

I wish those fekless twats who ride HDs in convoy would do the same. Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:23 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You need to understand the science of riding two abreast and why it is allowed.

Is riding three abreast prohibited?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:03 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway code says you should never ride more than two abreast but I can't be bothered to find the relevant piece of legislation. Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:09 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Highway code says you should

Is it prohibited?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ste wrote:

Is it prohibited?

Reeeeeeeeeeee
/roadrage

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Which is fine on a wide road, but a clearly deliberate two fingers at motorists when they do it on single track roads.

There are knobheads on both sides here, cyclists are often worse than the motorists for being deliberately inconsiderate.

What part are you struggling with?

The narrow roads where you must drive with more care or the physics bit where you need some agility with numburz?

Smile

Cyclists two abreast is no where near as bad as the fcuk-nuggets who jump lights.

And anyway if you are in a big rush do not use narrow roads. Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ste wrote:

Is it prohibited?

Unless you or anyone else can show the chapter and verse for the legislation saying you can't then I say it's not specifically prohibited.

If riding two (or more) abreast then you're unlikely to be giving your fellow cyclists the minimum 1.5m of space. Shocked

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle to work along country roads and quite often am passed at over the 50 mile an hour speed limit so close that it nearly puts me in the ditch or they will squeeze past at speed cause they won’t wait so I have taken to riding in the middle of the lane to stop them forcing their way past
There are two areas of solid white lines where cars will still overtake me I even had a car overtake me whilst a second car was overtaking him😠
Blind left hand bend lucky that time but often there are quarry trucks coming in the opposite direction

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Cyclists two abreast is no where near as bad as the fcuk-nuggets who jump lights.

And anyway if you are in a big rush do not use narrow roads. Smile

Two of the dumbest things said. Clearly you're a mamil sympathiser.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:42 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The riding off slowly might just have been cos he doesn't understand how to use the gears properly. Razz

You get pedestrians walking two, three, four, etc etc etc abreast taking up the entire width of the pavement and being completely oblivious to anyone else who's using the pavement. Wink

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
who I over took approaching some red lights.

There's your problem, right there!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:49 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
mamil

Middle Aged Man In Leather.

Be careful about throwing potatoes in glass houses.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
who I over took approaching some red lights.

Sigh I have to agree with stuntman. As much as I despise being stuck behind a cyclist in general...

If he had time to catch you up, then your overtake was unnecessary...

Appreciate you don't always know there is a set of lights ahead, but if the road is straight enough to overtake safely, you should have been able to see them. 👍

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
rant
As a road user, you are obliged to consider the safety of all around you... Even if they don't.

Take the higher moral ground and do the job properly and stop razzing on about it. I'd bet for every 1 cyclist who does this kind of thing there are hundreds who don't. Just like for every 1 motorcyclist who shows himself up to being a cnut there are hundreds who don't.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own.

200 yards before any set of lights or roundabout or junction - I would wait behind a cyclist - every time.

No real time gain from overtaking Vs waiting at that distance. And as you found out, once they get back in front they can be real cants about showing you the error if your ways.

👍
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2