Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upgrading from 125cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scarb1989
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:39 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Upgrading from 125cc Reply with quote

Hi people I am new to the forum so thanks for having me 😄 I have been currently riding a 125cc rieju rs3 of pro I have been riding it for a year and clocked 12000miles on it due to riding all the time as my job is a community nurse so I travel all day. I have crashed once due to riding above my limit which I fully admit but it was when I 1st started riding. I have just passed my A licence and have seen a zx6r 2007 model I absolutely love the bike but would like some input from you guys. Would it be an ok move if I took it steady or is it bit to much of a leap. If I get it i plan on practising when traffic is low to get use to the throttle and braking also weight. Thanks for any input

Last edited by Scarb1989 on 23:31 - 29 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:29 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine, you've put in far more miles than a 3 day wonder DAS licensee.

Just be aware that the point of an sports IL4 is to rev it to 10K+. It'll exceed the UK speed limit in 1st gear.

You can ride it at lower revs, but why would you? If you don't want to ride it fast and hard, there are better bike for that purpose.

What bike did you use for your A training and tests. What did you like and not like enjoy about it?

Scarb1989
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:48 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You'll be fine, you've put in far more miles than a 3 day wonder DAS licensee.

Just be aware that the point of an sports IL4 is to rev it to 10K+. It'll exceed the UK speed limit in 1st gear.

You can ride it at lower revs, but why would you? If you don't want to ride it fast and hard, there are better bike for that purpose.

What bike did you use for your A training and tests. What did you like and not like enjoy about it?

It was a Honda cb650f I believe. in fairness I loved most of it but the up right position I prefer the more aggressive seating position.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:54 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarb1989 wrote:
I prefer the more aggressive seating position.

Fair enough. What bikes have you ridden apart from the CB650F?

Scarb1989
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:58 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Scarb1989 wrote:
I prefer the more aggressive seating position.

Fair enough. What bikes have you ridden apart from the CB650F?

The bike I have now which is the rieju rs3 lc pro 125, also my mates ninja 400 this year's model I was tempted to get that but was told I would get bored quickly with that also as I want to start doing track days but I do plan on buying a track only bike

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:37 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out for yourself when you get told "you'd get bored easily". Something that someone else got bored with might tick all your fun boxes, it might not. Ride your own ride, life's too short.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to find something that's got decent fuel economy, as a community nurse salary, I guess isn't the greatest, and, you seem to clock up a reasonable amount of miles, and will probably do more, when you have a bigger bike.

If you're planning on getting a track only bike, then why not get a bike more suited for commuting, and is more comfortable, afterall, this is what you'll spend the majority of time riding, and if the bike ends up being uncomfortable, it won't just be a case of getting bored, you could simply end up dreading getting back on the bike !

Scarb1989
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:52 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
You might want to find something that's got decent fuel economy, as a community nurse salary, I guess isn't the greatest, and, you seem to clock up a reasonable amount of miles, and will probably do more, when you have a bigger bike.

If you're planning on getting a track only bike, then why not get a bike more suited for commuting, and is more comfortable, afterall, this is what you'll spend the majority of time riding, and if the bike ends up being uncomfortable, it won't just be a case of getting bored, you could simply end up dreading getting back on the bike !

My wage is quite good but only because I am quite high up. I see your point and have been looking at alternatives but I do like the sporty bikes but I quite like the Yamaha mt I have seen quite a few of them about and like the look of them. It's alot harder making a decision than I thought

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:21 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Reiju and ZX-6R have similar riding positions, you're used to an IL4... I'd say go for it. If you don't, you'll always have regrets.

Just do be aware that it's going to encourage you to chase the revs, and the speed will ramp up shockingly quickly once you're up in the 5-digit range - that means when you're already going quickly.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd want one of the later
2005> ZX6R's as my daily commuter bike to ride in all weather as a work hack. Its probably a bit focused riding position wise, and as others have said they'll be other bikes that are more useful in stop start low speed traffic and other more generously faired bikes for better wind and weather protection from the elements.

I'd be asking myself what am I going to buy for my dedicated track bike, and how much do I want to spend on such a bike. Going bigger budget on the daily might mean a tatty less interesting track bike and vice versa.

I'd not want a 600 sports bike daily and a 600 sports bike track machine too, as it seems a bit pointless? I think I'd probably prefer something like an ER6F, FZ6 or CBR650F as a good daily bike and around a £1k track ready CBR/ZX6R or similar for the track bike personally.

Its all a bit up in the air though as until you buy a track bike and start going to track days, paying for track days, maintenance and transport etc, you won't know how much your going to use it, how often you can arrange track time and afford to ride it, or how much you'll enjoy it.

For that reason a 'my first track day' bike would need to be pretty cheap and track prepared already for dipping my toe in the water situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:28 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from 125cc Reply with quote

Scarb1989 wrote:
currently riding a 125cc rieju rs3 of pro ...clocked 12000miles on it due to riding all the time as my job is a community nurse so I travel all day. .,.... zx6r 2007 ...Would it be an ok move if I took it steady or is it bit to much of a leap.

A leap in what?

It's apples and oranges. The Riaju, is, (trying not to be too disparaging), but a pimped up 125 commuter in a sporty frock.
Bang on the 15bhp permitted on A1/Learner-Licence, it has about as much oomph as that ticket allows, but it is what it is, and for all the fancy plastic that apes race-bike looks, it is essentially a 125cc 4-stroke single commuter bike.

ZX6R... was launched twenty years ago as 'The' fastest most powerful, single minded race-bike-for-the-road 600. If memory serves, the first 100bhp 600 proddy bike. Kawasaki had, after creating the first 'Sports-Six', the water cooled GPz600R back in '84, and won over buyers from loonie two-strokes with it, launched the ZZR600 in the 90's, as a much more 'sensible' every day all round road-bike... but lost the market edge to this new breed of Race-Replica. Hence the original ZX6-R was an if you cant beat them, join them, then beat them, model, and a much more full-on, razor edge race bike with lights. They have, in the intervening years, made it successively more 'user freindly'.. but that is its heritage, that is its under lying mechanics.

The launch year ZX6R was one of the first bikes to truly frighten me, and I was and probably still am a 'nutter'... NOT because its a fast bike, not because its in any way 'evil', but quite the converse; You get on one, and its low-down power delivery is pretty meh... get the revs up, and find where it comes on cam, suddenly it wakes up and starts working, and not just making big power, but the riding position starts to make sense, rather than just cause pain and restrict view; then it goes like stink, and the handling is sublime, and you can go very very fast and take an awful lot of liberties with the thing, and it encourages you to do so.... and at no point does it give you any sensation that you, the rider, are doing anything a bit 'stupid'... it flatters rider ability, being so poised and capable and focused on going fast.... and no warning you are even close to the edge of its limits..... I found it utterly sterile and completely engaging and unrewarding to ride as a result.. many others simply crashed them.. finding the things limits completely by accident. It was that, utter sterility and implicit threat that made the thing, to me, so scary.

Fantastic bike as a week-end toy, preferably on a race track, but... NOT a particularly wonderful bike for the road, and an even more perverse choice as every day machine.

Is it a big 'leap'? YES is the simple answer; but probably not in the way you expect.

100bhp after 15, is a bit to wrap your head around.... but you passed your tests, you have a Ride-What-You-Like licence... you want to ride one, why not... you got the ticket to do so.

Quarter century ago I essentially went from a 12bhp 125 to a 120bhp 1000, throttle goes both ways, so why not...

Well... I tried using 100+bhp bike as an every day commuter... it is NOT all that much fun believe me... EXPENSIVE is what it is! And THAT is likely the biggest leap you would find.

125Kg 15 bhp 125, doesn't put a lot of load on tyres, it doesn't have the power or the weight to stres them. A 170Kg 100bhp 600 does; and just 'cos the bike is cheap dont mean that tyres or other service spares will be; they cost the same whether they are to be bolted to a bike thats 1 month old, a year old or 10 years old.. and they last the same regardless.

When I bought my 'thou, I did so on the notion that few could trash and trash a thou, so it stood fair chance of not being a knacker; and with the extra cubes came bottom end suggesting a slightly less frenetic nature and a little more round-town every-day 'comfort'.. I bought it as a week-ender and occassional commuter, as TOY not TRANSPORT.....

Using it as a commuter, it got rather frustrating rather fast; back tyres at £150 a pop every couple of thousand miles, started to pall; and the idea that the thing should be 'fun' on the week-end was rather damped when I came to go have fun, and the tyres had lands flatter than holland down the middle from commuting and a dozen traffic light GP's accross town, laying down the power at the only chance the thing got to do so.. which made spirited cornering rather less 'fun' as the thing hit the shoulder worn by commuting, and I either had to back off and NOT have fun, or got brown trouser moments with the thing squirming around over that teeter point. And my bike wasn't the only one to suffer.

Compromise; the Camel is a horse designed by committee....

TOY or TRANSPORT

This is the question. As an every-day means of transport, sports bikes aren't much of one, they are a toy.

Bought for the performance; they are compromised from the off, by the style, which may look pretty, but with restricted steering lock and restricted visability, and scrunched up in a racer crouch are often painful, not just uncomfortable, and more so in slow city type trafic.. they dont seem to start 'working' even as they should, until you are doing 60+, and life and licence are at risk...until then they are a pain in the kneck and else where, and more frustration than fun, and whilst the racer crouch cripples your body, the tyre wear, brake pad wear and stop-start wear and tear does the same for your wallet to add to the frustration.

You are probably young enough, numb enough and dumm enough, to ignore or excuse all these failings, though... so what the heck....

But... for the sake of a 'style' there's plenty of other more sporty styled bikes, that, for the sort of every day, high miles you suggest are likely to be a far more sensible choice; The old Suzuki SV650, New Honda CBR500, CBR250/300 Kawasaki Ninja 250/300, for example.

Same sort of style, but like your 125 essentially a commuter bike is sporty frock; far less full on race bike for the road, and far less compromised on the road, probably still a pain in the kneck, but at least they don't have the same apetite for servicing, and will lose a lot less of thier performance edge so what they do have will more likely be there come the week-end when you want it.....

A-N-D, in the balance sheets, the 'bargain' of a cheaper older ZX6R will likely be lost very quickly pressed into such use, in the 'all in' cost of ownership, and the 'more expensive' to buy sporty commuter, will undoubtedly win and prove the 'cheaper' long term, as well as offering that sporty look and the full quota of, admittedly lesser ultimate, performance, but in an area under the curve comparison, you will almost certainly get 'more' from one, all round, than you will from a ZX6R or any other full bore-four in the class.

But its your money, its your life, its your choice.... and you have the Ride-What-You-Like-Licence... so Ride what you like..... just dont try kidding us, or any-one else that this is a 'smart' choice, and dont come crying when the tyres are shouldered or the plugs need changing! You have been warned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:36 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Upgrading from 125cc Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
dumm enough

QFT.

Now's the time to go sportsbike it if you're going to. By the time I tried out a CBR600F, I was already too sensible and honest to fall for its charms.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:08 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 27 when the ZX6R was launched, and failed to fall for its charms!
It was like the stunning blond in the bar... fantastic to look at, but not much of a conversationalist, who didn't cook, always complained she needed a new frock to go anywhere, and left you wondering whether she actually felt it after... with a nagging thought of how many had been there before, and whether a trip to the clinic might not be a bad idea!
Fat bottom girls, they make the rockin' world go round! As the man with the tash is famous for saying! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I was 27 when the ZX6R was launched, and failed to fall for its charms!
It was like the stunning blond in the bar... fantastic to look at, but not much of a conversationalist, who didn't cook, always complained she needed a new frock to go anywhere, and left you wondering whether she actually felt it after...

For all your years, have you actually ever been alive?

The answer there is you go fuck it hard put up with some of its shit (even better if it's all over the end of your knob) and then bin it off before it becomes too much bare drama. You're still richer for the experience, even if it did cost you a few painful buds down the chap.

Not having a go is like realising you've only ever nailed birds everyone else finds average at best, just because of performance anxiety.

Scarb1989
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:26 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the input I think I'm gonna test it out see how I like it and maybe test a couple of others to see what I prefer. I don't mind dordling on it every so often it's quite light also which I like

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:03 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest trying a twin as well, ER6F or SV650S (they can be had with fairing lowers). There's a big difference in how and where a twin and an IL4 deliver their power and torque.

Scarb1989
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:36 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd suggest trying a twin as well, ER6F or SV650S (they can be had with fairing lowers). There's a big difference in how and where a twin and an IL4 deliver their power and torque.
I shall have a look at them when I get back. I want something what looks nice also has power to power myself out of situations as I have been nearly rear ended a few times but also just for fun as we would all be lying if we said that wasn't a perk lol. What's the cbr650f like for commuting and power input?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at TM's and Arry's posts.

Fucking hell, the first ZX6R rocked my world just reading about it when I was starting college. 162.5mph from 599cc in 95, with the raucous Kawasaki IL4 sounds, of mechanical clatter, airbox howl, and crazy top end rush. The F-series only did one bad thing and that was looking like a shell suit design in most colour schemes. Its a proper classic bike already IMO and at the time it would have rocked a 600 want to be owners world, in the same way as a Derbi senda rocked the world of all TS50X riders.

I do miss the days of big leaps in bike development and when manufacturers were still really fucking trying and making it noticed.

Maybe the BMW HP4 was the modern era next best thing to a leap in sports bike development with 10-15bhp over the rest at launch.

Scarb1989
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:48 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Lol at TM's and Arry's posts.

Fucking hell, the first ZX6R rocked my world just reading about it when I was starting college. 162.5mph from 599cc in 95, with the raucous Kawasaki IL4 sounds, of mechanical clatter, airbox howl, and crazy top end rush. The F-series only did one bad thing and that was looking like a shell suit design in most colour schemes. Its a proper classic bike already IMO and at the time it would have rocked a 600 want to be owners world, in the same way as a Derbi senda rocked the world of all TS50X riders.

I do miss the days of big leaps in bike development and when manufacturers were still really fucking trying and making it noticed.

Maybe the BMW HP4 was the modern era next best thing to a leap in sports bike development with 10-15bhp over the rest at launch.
it does sound fucking beautiful that's just made me want it even more Laughing if it was ok to ride round the city at ease then able to open her up on the stretches I would be a happy man as I'm use to the aggressive positioning and feel more in control with that seating

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
a few painful buds down the chap.

https://media.giphy.com/media/GBElw2nPerMVa/giphy.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:36 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarb1989 wrote:
I want something what looks nice also has power to power myself out of situations

An ER6 makes more power and torque than a ZX-6R up to about 9000 rpm.

InB4 gearing thread, but if you ride the ZX-6R the way it's meant to be ridden, i.e. nudging 5 figure tacho numbers, it'll respond like a scalded cat. It'll also glug fuel like a drunken Scotchman.

If you're riding for economy, the twin will pick up faster when you roll on the throttle at lower revs.

It's all about how you want to ride.

Scarb1989 wrote:
What's the cbr650f like for commuting and power input?

Much the same as a Suzuki GSX650F which can be had for a fair bit less.

Sorry, don't know, I've never gotten past a test ride on an IL4.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:16 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an ZXR itch which needs to be scratched, then only 1 bike is going to be able to do that.

I agree there are several other alternatives, but I'm very much an advocate of finding the right bike for you, rather than going with things you read online.

This first bike after your full licence will teach you more about your riding, than DAS ever does .....

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest an upright bike, over a sport bike if you're going to be using it for commuting.

Street triple, MT07, KTM duke. Even the SV is probably a better bike for commuting.

I had the same issue with my bikes, GSXR1000 was stupid expensive to run, YZF600R was too revvy.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw zx9r makes an excellent commuter (6 pot toks notwithstanding Wink)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Shanerb97
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:46 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Getting a A2 license (bike) Reply with quote

Hi there new to the forum, just wanted some advice as far as what’s potentially better,
I’m coming up to doing my a2 and have been scratching my head as far as what to upgrade to,
I’m currently on a cbf125.
The two main things which I can’t quite get my head around are, for example
If I say brought a bike that was made to fit in to this class of bike and fit within the power restriction, would that perform the same as a bigger bike say a 600cc or slightly bigger that is restricted to fit within the restrictions,
Too put it simply as I’m terrible with explaining the two bikes I like the most are the Suzuki GS500 and the Fazer 600 both around the 2000s as far as age, just wanted a bit of an idea what it would be like restricted the 600 to fit within the restriction in comparison to say the 500 thanks in advance I’m sure this makes zero sense but just a shot In the dark. Thankyou! Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2