Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why so few Turbo boosted bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Why so few Turbo boosted bikes? Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

They did gpz 750 AND 900 turbos?

Oh yeah, Top Gun......

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Why so few Turbo boosted bikes? Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

So what am I missing?

Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo..... Cool[/quote]

They did gpz 750 AND 900 turbos?[/quote]

No, only the 750.

All of the big four offered a turbo at some point, Honda weighed in with turbo versions of the CX500 and 650, Kwaka gave us the GPz 750T, Suzuki had the XN85 (where "85" indicated the bhp from the GS650 derived motor) and Yamaha rocked up with the most radically designed and overly complicated XJ650T.

I've owned and/or ridden all of them and, in my view, the Suzuki was probably the best of the bunch, but the Kwaka looked infinitely better, so that's why they sold more.

The problem was, all of those companies had better bikes in their range, so the only reason to buy a turbo was just to look a bit funky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were the days they did it because they could. New designs rolled off the production line every few minutes. Loony bikes, loony designs with some absolute masterpieces scattered among them. I mean, Suzuki built the RE5 Shocked

I haven't ridden any of the old turbo bikes but old turbo cars had a horrifying issue called turbo lag that kicked in just when you didn't want it to, I would hate to have that on a bike.

In the modern day there is just no need for it. Fuel injection, mapping, light small engines, power to weight ration etc. have all but eliminated the reasons for a turbo on a bike.

Maybe a supercharger for the lols, but necessary? no chance.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:06 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason for turbos is emissions vs driveability, not power.

People rarely use full power in mundano commuter cars, but a 1.6l naturally aspirated mondeo is awful, to make it 'nice' to drive, i.e. torque at low RPM, you need a far larger engine, which bring increased emissions. A turbo allows you to have both.

This simply isnt a problem on bikes, as they weigh 1/4 as much and nearly always have excess power, theyre also geared shorter, making more torque available.

Take the Mondeo for example, nowadays, 1400kg (1550 with a couple of people in it) and the nat asp 1.0 and the 1.0 turbo are both in the 130bhp range.

The average bike is 250kg with a ride on board, imagine a 20bhp fullsize bike and you start to see the issue.

The key difference is that bikes and cars all use 12-20bhp to maintain 70mph, so having 100bhp/tonne in a car just means it's not quick. Having the same in a bike means you struggle to maintain motorway speeds at all.

TLDR, most bikes are MUCH more powerful than most cars already.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
old turbo cars had a horrifying issue called turbo lag that kicked in just when you didn't want it to

That's the opposite of turbo lag. Lag is where you are travelling in gear and wanting rapid acceleration whilst off boost.
Foot down.... nothing.... nothing..... nothing.... noth.... then off she goes like an injured cat.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
old turbo cars had a horrifying issue called turbo lag that kicked in just when you didn't want it to

That's the opposite of turbo lag. Lag is where you are travelling in gear and wanting rapid acceleration whilst off boost.
Foot down.... nothing.... nothing..... nothing.... noth.... then off she goes like an injured cat.

I obviously meant that Mr Pedantic. Razz Wink

The turbo kicking in half way through a bend on a bike is not what you want.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It ain't ideal on a 300bhp Audi either. Cost me 6k in repairs last time although it was a roundabout in that instance. Laughing
I managed that just 11 days after paying best part of 20k in cash buying the thing. I had wrecked it before I had the V5 back
with my name on it. Laughing "It was an Audi so I was being a cock in it" didn't wash well with Mrs Grr.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm being a twat I know, but the above sounds more like 'boost threshold' to me and not lag. Lag is only ever momentarily and describes the delay in throttle response typical compared to a more eager nasp engine in going from a closed throttle to an open throttle. You don't get stunning throttle response in most forced induction set ups, especially if the boosted air is coming from an exhaust turbine driven compressor.

Modern cars with drive by wire ECUs and direct injection are massively better at drivability, especially as like others have said most forced induction engines are eco-boost style with emissions and mpg driven set ups from downsizing.

In fact today if your a volume car manufacturer you really almost are forced to make nearly all your petrol engines turbo charged across the overall model range, as it's extremely hard without a turbo to meet the Euro 6, and it takes alot of left field expensive alternative engineering like Mazda use to get clean enough emissions with an acceptable level of performance and mpg. Emissions and mpg in many cases are completely opposed and getting one criteria really good usually hurts the other.

Back to bikes, one thing I did like on the Yamaha XJ650T design, was the induction set up using reed valves, so under vacuum conditions the engine could inhale air without it having to go through all the restrictive long turbo plumbing, and when the inlet manifold went into positive pressure, the reeds would shut and it became a turbo engine like any other.

I wonder if it really helped and if so why no-one else has used turbo bypass systems like this?

Anyway out of the factory turbo bikes, I'd have voted CX650T if only it wasn't so fucking heavy. If they could have made it under 200kg it would have been much faster.
History says the Kawasaki was the best and arguably that'd be right, but I wouldn't swap a GPZ1100A for one, as the big brother was still quicker in top speed at least and weighted only 11kg more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:29 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still rumblings of this

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2017/october/suzuki_turbo_recursion_production_2018

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Two strokes, well we never got the ultimate GP500 bikes for the open road, but still. Thinking

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Why so few Turbo boosted bikes? Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
No, only the 750.

All of the big four offered a turbo at some point, Honda weighed in with turbo versions of the CX500 and 650, Kwaka gave us the GPz 750T, Suzuki had the XN85 (where "85" indicated the bhp from the GS650 derived motor) and Yamaha rocked up with the most radically designed and overly complicated XJ650T.

I've owned and/or ridden all of them and, in my view, the Suzuki was probably the best of the bunch, but the Kwaka looked infinitely better, so that's why they sold more.

The problem was, all of those companies had better bikes in their range, so the only reason to buy a turbo was just to look a bit funky.

Kawasaki Z1 TC? Thinking

126hp and 254km/h in 1978!

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:57 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:

Interesting article.

I've learned a lot from this thread.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fit a turbo you need to upgrade every Power Band in the engine too or you will be sorry.

The O.E.M. (red colour) ones will not last long at those higher settings.

There are new ones on the market (Chinese but decent quality) that are a better design.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Why so few Turbo boosted bikes? Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo..... Cool

They did gpz 750 AND 900 turbos?

No, apart from the 750turbo there was the Z1-R which was a non-factory 1000cc turbocharged bike and reportedly supplied new with "absolutely no warranty whatsoever"

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

People rarely use full power in mundano commuter cars, but a 1.6l naturally aspirated mondeo is awful, to make it 'nice' to drive, i.e. torque at low RPM, you need a far larger engine, which bring increased emissions. A turbo allows you to have both.

This simply isnt a problem on bikes, as they weigh 1/4 as much and nearly always have excess power, theyre also geared shorter, making more torque available.

Take the Mondeo for example, nowadays, 1400kg (1550 with a couple of people in it) and the nat asp 1.0 and the 1.0 turbo are both in the 130bhp range.

The average bike is 250kg with a ride on board, imagine a 20bhp fullsize bike and you start to see the issue.

The key difference is that bikes and cars all use 12-20bhp to maintain 70mph, so having 100bhp/tonne in a car just means it's not quick. Having the same in a bike means you struggle to maintain motorway speeds at all.

Not reeealy.

It is a method of supercharging the engine.
To get more Ooomf for less metal.
It 'may' or may not improve emissions but that would be a side-benefit.

They push more air in so the engine can burn more fuel. (which flies in the green faces of tree huggers)
Fuel needs oxygen to burn. More air has more oxygen.

And higher altitude locations have thin air so engine lose power as they cannot burn as much fuel as engine can at sea level.
A turbo will mean the engine can perform as it's 'normal' output.

Turbo Engines probably suffer from less torque than a lager engine with the same BHP output.

I am not Teffing this up any more. Smile

Last edited by MCN on 18:24 - 03 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The Kawasaki had no real problems here. They mounted the turbo close to the exhaust ports, which reduced lag, and it was a pretty small affair and so spooled up easily. IIRC, you started to feel its effect at around 4k rpm, but didn't really get going until about 6. But that only really affected roll-on acceleration - you could still get things on the move quicker by giving it a handful of throttle. But it never felt uncontrollable or unpredictable.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A turbo/supercharger increases TORQUE. Power is derived from that and revs. Where it produces that extra torque depends on the size of turbo you fit. Use a small unit you'll get huge torque increases at lower revs, where a bigger unit gives large torque increases higher up the revs.

Which of those suits you is down to personal preference but the bigger units are easier on the engine, the smaller ones more fun.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

History says the Kawasaki was the best and arguably that'd be right, but I wouldn't swap a GPZ1100A for one, as the big brother was still quicker in top speed at least and weighted only 11kg more.

I've owned both, and I preferred the turbo bike. It just felt quicker, more fun. But the 11 was easier to launch off the line - with the turbo, the front wanted to come up if you gave it a lot of welly from a standing start. It was easier to wheelie generally when you wanted to as well, once you were used to the engine characteristics.
Top speed-wise, there was so little in it as to be a non-issue. When I had my turbo, my best mate had the 11, and we seemed about evenly matched.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 18:49 - 03 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Turbo Engines probably suffer from less torque than a lager engine with the same BHP output.

No. Turbo engines typically produce higher torque numbers. That's not to say their torque curve is better.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Maybe a supercharger for the lols, but necessary? no chance.

https://content.kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Products/7709/Colors/a4pdix3x.ihq.png

Very, very necessary.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:40 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
B5234FT wrote:

Not reeealy.

It is a method of supercharging the engine.
To get more Ooomf for less metal.
It 'may' or may not improve emissions but that would be a side-benefit.

They push more air in so the engine can burn more fuel. (which flies in the green faces of tree huggers)
Fuel needs oxygen to burn. More air has more oxygen.

And higher altitude locations have thin air so engine lose power as they cannot burn as much fuel as engine can at sea level.
A turbo will mean the engine can perform as it's 'normal' output.

You've missed the point by an epic amount.

For performance cars, sure, you take a 2000cc car, add a turbo and get 'more power'.

The question the OP asked however was why many modern cars have turbos, and bikes dont. That's nothing to do with power, the new mondeo has much the same power as the old one. It's simply to allow the use of a smaller engine, to create the same power, with a nicer power curve and lower emissions.

Bikes dont need this in the same way, and therefore turbos on bikes are restricted to a few extremely high performance examples.

Perhaps I should have clarified "The main reason for turbos.......as fitted to many many mundane new cars, as per the OP in this thread.... is emissions and driveability.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

Just waiting for my parents to die... Whistle

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Just waiting for my parents to die... Whistle

If you want me to bump them off we can go halves!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
You've missed the point by an epic amount.

For performance cars, sure, you take a 2000cc car, add a turbo and get 'more power'.

The question the OP asked however was why many modern cars have turbos, and bikes dont. That's nothing to do with power, the new mondeo has much the same power as the old one. It's simply to allow the use of a smaller engine, to create the same power, with a nicer power curve and lower emissions.

Bikes dont need this in the same way, and therefore turbos on bikes are restricted to a few extremely high performance examples.

Perhaps I should have clarified "The main reason for turbos.......as fitted to many many mundane new cars, as per the OP in this thread.... is emissions and driveability.

I said more ooomf for.less metal.

Smaller engines producing the same power as bigger engines.

What bit did I miss so epicly? 🤔 😀

I know precisely what turbos do but I won't fill out a post on sh*t someone can Google
. 😊

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

That's the correct answer. Also the factor of the power delivery being a bit lumpy at low revs, I can't imagine the traffic light grand prix was any fun like this.

But...
My car has a turbo, but I filled it up with petrol. Will it explode now?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3