Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
The turbo kicking in half way through a bend on a bike is not what you want.

That's the correct answer. Also the factor of the power delivery being a bit lumpy at low revs, I can't imagine the traffic light grand prix was any fun like this.

I thought Rhyno and I had addressed this. The Big Four's turbo bikes weren't a problem in this regard - at least, the Kawasaki, the most powerful of them wasn't. And two strokes with their power bands (yes, especially if they had red ones) seemed quite manageable for most. Well, ok, until their other limits were exceeded, usually due to brakes and chassis not up to the job.

Some normally aspirated bikes are equally as vicious, if not more so. Turbo'd engines can be set up to be scary, but that doesn't mean they have to be.

Nor was the Kawasaki lumpy at low revs. I seem to remember it being a pretty smooth experience. Its fuel injection seemed nigh-on perfect, with none of the snatchiness of some of today's fare. Again, highly tuned normally aspirated bikes used to be much worse. The difficulty at the traffic light GP was keeping the front down if you fed in too much power, certainly as I've said, in comparison to its 1100cc normally aspirated stablemate, which would tend to spin up at the back instead, but I kind of suspect a large part of that might be down to chassis geometry. The 11 generally felt a bit more barge-like.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

To get more Ooomf for less metal.
It 'may' or may not improve emissions

More oomph for less capacity is of course what you meant to say. The turbo unit on the Kawasaki was a heavy old lump. I'm told it was built to be almost 'armour plated' in case of failure. Spinning at something like 200k rpm, you wouldn't want things flying out if it did fail.

I got 60mpg out of mine at a more-or-less steady 80mph, 95% motorway trip of about 250 miles. I thought that was pretty good for what was the equivalent of a top sports bike of its day. If you hammered it though, it was probably worse than a normally aspirated engine.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:29 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
B5234FT wrote:
You've missed the point by an epic amount.

For performance cars, sure, you take a 2000cc car, add a turbo and get 'more power'.

The question the OP asked however was why many modern cars have turbos, and bikes dont. That's nothing to do with power, the new mondeo has much the same power as the old one. It's simply to allow the use of a smaller engine, to create the same power, with a nicer power curve and lower emissions.

Bikes dont need this in the same way, and therefore turbos on bikes are restricted to a few extremely high performance examples.

Perhaps I should have clarified "The main reason for turbos.......as fitted to many many mundane new cars, as per the OP in this thread.... is emissions and driveability.

I said more ooomf for.less metal.

Smaller engines producing the same power as bigger engines.

What bit did I miss so epicly? 🤔 😀

I know precisely what turbos do but I won't fill out a post on sh*t someone can Google
. 😊

You argued my point was wrong, whilst completely missing the context of the thread and in fact everything you posted WAS shit someone can Google Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3