Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Returning a laptop back to the way it was when purchased?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Returning a laptop back to the way it was when purchased? Reply with quote

I have very limited computer know-how and was wondering how I could return my laptop back to standard.

The laptop is possibly 8 or 9 years old and I have never had any issues with it before. It only get used for watching films on and I have 1 folder with a couple of holiday pictures in it.

I recently noticed over the years I have accumulated a number of programs that I have no intention of using (BlackBerry desktop Software, Tomb Raider 2, Amiga emulator, to name a few) and was wondering if I could just format the laptop rather than going round all the programs individually and removing them.

Also, how do I go about formatting it?

There are a few programs on here such as VLC media player, etc which could easily be downloaded once it was back and I can put the picture folder onto a usb and return it once it is done.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:37 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usual question: do you need to keep running windows?

If not, grab a copy of Mint, and see how it runs. It'll run from a USB stick and let you decide whether you want to install it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually there's an option to effectively start over in Recovery section, presumably it's Windows 7?
If you were on W8 and updated to 10, going back might not be such a good plan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 03 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Returning a laptop back to the way it was when purchased Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
wondering if I could just format the laptop rather than going round all the programs individually and removing them.

It's actually a good idea to start from scratch like that; you'll almost certainly see an improvement in performance. Windows seems to accumulate problems and junk the longer it runs on a PC, and cleaning out all the crap once on a while is a Good Plan.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up all of your files to another external hard drive. Be sure you've backed up everything include passwords etc! Personally I keep all of my data on an external hard drive not the SSD boot drive, and I back up my USB to the data hard drives. I use this setup for both laptop and PC.

Rogerborg wrote:
Usual question: do you need to keep running windows?

If not, grab a copy of Mint, and see how it runs. It'll run from a USB stick and let you decide whether you want to install it.

Linux still isn't very n00b friendly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:51 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Mint's OK. Heck, you can even do upgrades now without having to hand-edit your sources files. Rolling Eyes

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Mint's OK. Heck, you can even do upgrades now without having to hand-edit your sources files. Rolling Eyes

Linux seems OK for doing basic tasks, but when they need to do something out of the ordinary for some reason it ends up requiring command line stuff whereas on windows its GUI all the way. A lot of Linux people seem to simultaneously want lazy people to use their OS, and also to expect the people to stop being lazy GUI users.

Personally I only use Linux for embedded systems, and most of it is just editing source files Laughing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows itself has that option provided you're running windows 8+

What operating system is it running? at 9 years ago ish I'm guessing windows 7 or possibly (eugh) vista?

If windows 7 you're a bit out of luck unless the manufacturer has included a hidden partition with the default setup on. Worth a google depending on who built it.

The other way is if you have the windows install cd itself. you can just chuck it in, turn the laptop on and choose to boot from cd when it asks you. Then reinstall a fresh copy over the top.

The best way is to go through the motions, delete the default partition when you get to that step then tell it to install onto that empty partition. it'll recreate it and wipe out any old settings/programs that were there before.

Plenty of guides/youtube vids online to guide you through it depending on what laptop/version of windows you're using.

good luck Wink

(be sure to backup anything you want to keep beforehand onto a usb drive or something)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the re-formatting would provide a only basic Operating System as Microsoft do not provide updates to operating systems that they deem as now obsolete.

That may force your hand to do what the Borg suggests.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google your make and model of laptop and system recovery. You may find an F# function key or similar that when held down gives you access to a recovery option to restore the machine back to day 1 status.

If not then before you start buggering about and wiping drives make sure you have got every driver for the hardware for that model. Odd wi-fi , sound drivers, function key drivers and software etc. Also has been said make sure you back up everything you never want to lose.

Linux is fine for coder types and dabblers, but I wouldn't recommend it for the average Joe, especially one that has to ask advice on restoring machines back to day 1 status.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I think the re-formatting would provide a only basic Operating System as Microsoft do not provide updates to operating systems that they deem as now obsolete.

That may force your hand to do what the Borg suggests.

There's a few options. Use a windows install iso from torrent site and the original CD key, and if it won't activate then just run a windows crack on it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

That doesn't include Windows 7 though - MS are still providing 'extended' support', even if they aren't providing 'mainstream' support any more, which means it's perfectly safe to use

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want to decrap without doing a reformat and reinstalling the OS, I use Ccleaner (free) to uninstall the unwanted progs.
Then I use Ccs registry cleaner a few times to weed out remaining registry crap.
Works for me and I don't even bother to backup the registry and it aint shit the bed on me yet

I also use it to look at the at programs that want to run at startup
and disable any I don't need/want to run at startup

Ccleaner is on my must have software list

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

really ??? Rolling Eyes

I didn't realise we are still to experience the y2k bug Laughing Laughing

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Linux seems OK for doing basic tasks, but when they need to do something out of the ordinary for some reason it ends up requiring command line stuff whereas on windows its GUI all the way. A lot of Linux people seem to simultaneously want lazy people to use their OS, and also to expect the people to stop being lazy GUI users.

Personally I only use Linux for embedded systems, and most of it is just editing source files Laughing.

You really haven't used linux properly at all have you? Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Linux to computers what Mash are to motorcycles? Whistle Wink

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:40 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

This comment basically sums up why Linux isn't n00b friendly. Users are suggested to be lazy if they want a GUI solution, and it's an e-peen competition to be the most proper user. By contrast nobody would suggest that a Windows user hadn't used Windows properly because they only went on Google, or were lazy because they never used command line.

Linux also risks becoming quite niche, mostly used by middle aged men nearing retirement hence the growing shortage of developers. Due to the fairly high salaries we can expect these devs to be retiring much earlier too.
https://thenewstack.io/growing-new-linux-kernel-developers/

But to answer your point. I used Linux for what I needed to do, it did what I needed to, therefore I used it properly Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:09 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Is Linux to computers what Mash are to motorcycles? Whistle Wink

Fail to see the correlation.. but there we go

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:25 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

This comment basically sums up why Linux isn't n00b friendly. Users are suggested to be lazy if they want a GUI solution, and it's an e-peen competition to be the most proper user. By contrast nobody would suggest that a Windows user hadn't used Windows properly because they only went on Google, or were lazy because they never used command line.

Linux also risks becoming quite niche, mostly used by middle aged men nearing retirement hence the growing shortage of developers. Due to the fairly high salaries we can expect these devs to be retiring much earlier too.
https://thenewstack.io/growing-new-linux-kernel-developers/

But to answer your point. I used Linux for what I needed to do, it did what I needed to, therefore I used it properly Thumbs Up

You can use the gui to do pretty much anything in Linux, and have been able to for years, many years ... In fact for certain things, it's far more difficult to use the command line instead of the gui !!, Which is a shame it's almost gone too far on the gui front.

Now, running a server is different, you don't really want to enable the gui, and this is something even Microsoft are now emulating, as you can see with Windows server 2019...

Or..., could it be, you're just jealous that us Linux skilled workers generally get paid better than our equivalent Microsoft skilled workers?

But back to the point, virtually all the popular mainstream linux versions are noob friendly, especially Mint. My dad has been using Linux for at least 10 years, and he's no IT expert, he was a postie, now long retired. My daughter, only uses Linux, and has no problem using it for school work. There are no problems watching Netflix etc, so, yes it is very noob friendly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:00 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
You can use the gui to do pretty much anything in Linux

You really haven't used FooDM/X/GNU/lunix properly at all have you? Rolling Eyes

But yes, throw Mint on a USB stick and give it a go. You may be surprised.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

You can use the gui to do pretty much anything in Linux, and have been able to for years, many years ... In fact for certain things, it's far more difficult to use the command line instead of the gui !!, Which is a shame it's almost gone too far on the gui front.

Now, running a server is different, you don't really want to enable the gui, and this is something even Microsoft are now emulating, as you can see with Windows server 2019...

Or..., could it be, you're just jealous that us Linux skilled workers generally get paid better than our equivalent Microsoft skilled workers?

But back to the point, virtually all the popular mainstream linux versions are noob friendly, especially Mint. My dad has been using Linux for at least 10 years, and he's no IT expert, he was a postie, now long retired. My daughter, only uses Linux, and has no problem using it for school work. There are no problems watching Netflix etc, so, yes it is very noob friendly.

No, not jealous at all, since I'm not a Microsoft OS developer. I'm just pointing out some of the problems with Linux, and how the attitude of many Linux users has actually contributed to the lack of devs. As for your family using it, you forget to mention that they have Mr Linux-Is-Best-So-There aiding them in its use, which most people do not. The 10 year ago distros didn't even have audio codecs included, so how is that user friendly?

Rogerborg wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
You can use the gui to do pretty much anything in Linux

You really haven't used FooDM/X/GNU/lunix properly at all have you? Rolling Eyes

But yes, throw Mint on a USB stick and give it a go. You may be surprised.

I think I did actually.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't 10 years ago anymore. There really is little need to stray from the GUI with some of the modern distros and in many ways they are actually better for people lacking in IT knowledge. It's harder for them to break.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
It isn't 10 years ago anymore. There really is little need to stray from the GUI with some of the modern distros and in many ways they are actually better for people lacking in IT knowledge. It's harder for them to break.

Harder to find people to fix it for them when it does break though.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like mac os.

Otherwise, I only really like Windows 7.

I'm too scared of Linux because everyone calls it Lynux.

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 Home Premium - 2009

Acer Aspire 5532 64bit

Dance!

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
Windows 7 Home Premium - 2009

Acer Aspire 5532 64bit

Dance!

Resetting will be a piece of cake, Acer eRecovery Management, click on that and you can restore back to factory settings. (as long as you backup your wanted files on an external drive if any)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2