Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Returning a laptop back to the way it was when purchased?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Linux still isn't very n00b friendly

I've used Ubuntu and Debian exclusively for 15 years, last version of Windows I've used is Windows ME. You think Linux is unfriendly? Windows is a complete cunt unless you know the nuances. Need to change some setting? Good luck in finding it! There's a fuck ton of guides but none will have quite the right wording for the button or title to click. Use a laptop at work and home? Need a static IP address at work but dynamic at home? Windows doesn't have the decency to remember that. So you have to find the same fucking shitty setting each fucking time you connect to each network.

Windows literally slows down for no reason at all and becomes a useless sack of shit over time. Linux is fast and snappy regardless of time since you installed it. Linux needs fuck all maintenance. Want to install something, look in repositories. Windows, fuck off do you need that helpful shit, hit the internet, install some random shit in a desperate attempt to make your computer work back the way it was before Windows slowed down for no reason. We don't need safe and trusted software here. You should know download.com run by a technology company contains spyware.

I'm a complete technophobe and Ubuntu is easy and hassle free. Windows can get fucked. Literally bought the fucking machine for Office due to new software at work and use it only for MS Office and it's still slow as shit. Fuck Windows. It's fucking shit and exteremely difficult and fiddly to use. Ubuntu Mint in particular is simple as fuck to use and is no hassle. I don't need a fucking degree unlike cunting Windows.

Rant over. Can you tell I'm still awaiting technical support for my shitty Windows 10 machine?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:44 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because Linux is quite like MacOS these days? Which I hate BTW.

I'd rather stick with the Linux CLI to be honest! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

As unfriendly and as intimidating as it is, a guide that says "Start terminal, we want to do x and we do that by typing: sudo blah blah blah" is so much easier than the charade of Windows guides "Click start" Where the fuck is start these days?! "Click Sharing and Networks" where? I cannot see that on my fucking screen. Where the do I click if it's not fucking there?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:57 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
MarJay wrote:

As unfriendly and as intimidating as it is, a guide that says "Start terminal, we want to do x and we do that by typing: sudo blah blah blah" is so much easier than the charade of Windows guides "Click start" Where the fuck is start these days?! "Click Sharing and Networks" where? I cannot see that on my fucking screen. Where the do I click if it's not fucking there?

Windows is easy. It has a two or three working day learning curve I reckon. Whereas MacOS seems to have a two or three week learning curve, and it's easier to open a CLI than it is to use the flipping gestures half the flipping time.

If you type into Cortana she usually brings up the 'Network and sharing center" gubbins. One thing I dislike about Windows which may well be the case with other operating systems, is that if you switch between DHCP and fixed IP, it forgets the last fixed IP you used, which makes it hard to flit a laptop between networks which is a bit of a pain in the butt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
If you type into Cortana she usually brings up the 'Network and sharing center" gubbins.

I had to lookup what Cortana is. It's a fucking search box! This is what I mean about the nuances that you need to know about before Windows makes any sense at all. It's a fucking search box, it's not a "she".

The issue is you have to know what to type in that search box, you can't just type in "Change IP setting".

Mint remembers what setting you used for which network so you don't need to switch between the two. Mint is use friendly though. Windows is utter shite.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:18 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
MarJay wrote:
If you type into Cortana she usually brings up the 'Network and sharing center" gubbins.

I had to lookup what Cortana is. It's a fucking search box! This is what I mean about the nuances that you need to know about before Windows makes any sense at all. It's a fucking search box, it's not a "she".

The issue is you have to know what to type in that search box, you can't just type in "Change IP setting".

Mint remembers what setting you used for which network so you don't need to switch between the two. Mint is use friendly though. Windows is utter shite.

Previous search boxes wouldn't do that, but Cortana will because it's connected to the internet. Much like Siri or whatever. Also if you have tips enabled it'll come up with tons of info on how you can use Cortana. I didn't like it at first, but I'm nearly sold on it now.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of my issue is due to using Debian/Ubuntu/Mint for so long now, Windows isn't the above and therefore doesn’t work like the above. I know I just have to relearn everything but Windows (for me) is just such a giant leap backwards. I use it only when I have to and it's so slow right now I'm awaiting IT to come over and fix it for me.

The suggestion that Windows is somehow "easy" always grates me, it's horrifyingly difficult, inconsistent and fiddly to use. The next time I switch "that bloody machine" on I'll try talk to 'her' about how to ensure 'her' tips are switched on. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2