Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A little noob story...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

eXDF
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: A little noob story... Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new around here so thought I'd regale you all with a tale of DVSA/Pearson/DVLA ineptitude.

So I first rode about 4 years ago. I did a CBT, bought myself a 125 (Suzuki Intruder) and started commuting back-and-forth to work in Welwyn Garden City (about 30 miles return journey each day from my house in Weston).

Did this for about 18 months and, being in sight of the CBT expiring, I thought to get my full licence sorted. however, life took a turn and I had to flog the bike (made £100 on it so was quite pleased with that) and forgot about it for a while.

Fast-forward about a year later and I decide to get myself sorted again and take another CBT and then try to book a theory test. Only to discover that I couldn't book a theory test due to, somehow, not having provisional motorcycle entitlement on my licence! Bear in mind that I was told at this point that I had NEVER had it so not only had I had two CBTs without this coming to light but I had ridden my 125 DAILY for 18 months apparently illegally!

Turns out that somehow, this entitlement was left off my licence when I passed my driving test! I mean, how does that even happen?!

Anyway, I get the entitlement added (I had to pay of course, grrrr). Life got in the way a bit again and I never did book my theory test or get another bike so I had another lapsed CBT.

Fast-forward again to a few weeks ago and, now with a new job that has about a 60-mile commute, I realise that having a bike would not only be fun but also allow a pretty huge reduction in my travel costs. So, once again I go to book a theory test to be told...you guessed it...that I am NOT ENTITLED!.

I am told by Pearson that all they can do is make an entitlement check with the DVLA and if they confirm I have the entitlement then all will be well and I can book a theory test. So, although I know I have to wait for their official enquiry to go through, I ring the DVLA to be told, yes I have the entitlement, there should be no problem.

So, I dutifully wait a week and receive an email from Pearson/DVSA saying that the entitlement check is now back and I should call them for the result. So I call the number they give me to find that there is no option in that systme for "checking up on entitlement queries".

After much swearing and googling, I finally get through to the DVSA who tell me that yes, they have completed the check and the result is: I AM NOT ENTITLED!!!!

So I ring the DVLA AGAIN and am told that yes, I do have the entitlement and there should be no problem. So, I call DVSA/Pearson back AGAIN and tell them what the DVLA said to which they respond that all they can do is..........run another entitlement check!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

Suffice it to say many, MANY expletives were uttered but I dutifully wait another week, then I get another email telling me to call them for the result of this entitlement check. I do, and FINALLY they say they are able to book me a theory test!

So I now have a theory test booked for later this month. If I were a supertitious person I might think it wass the universe trying to discourage me from getting a bike. But I'm not so balls to it.

Smile

Anyway, let that be a cautionary tale to those out riding on a CBT, make absolutely sure you have the provisional entitlement. I'm VERY glad I never got stopped!

eXDF

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:51 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered identify fraud? It sounds simpler than trying to sort it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:28 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They carried a spelling mistake on my name over six different licences over a period of 12 years.

Then, out of the blue, the last time I called about it, the phone was answered on the third ring by an actual human being who proceeded to sort the problem out. My theory is that maybe senior management occasionally take some calls for shits and giggles?

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:26 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVLA are muppets. I sent my license back a few years ago for a renewal on my bus entitlement and it came back without my car entitlement. bus was there as well as provisional hgv, but no car. i have no idea how they fuck up so bad.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: A little noob story... Reply with quote

eXDF wrote:
But I'm not, so balls to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1