Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I think I know what the response to this might be

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:35 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: I think I know what the response to this might be Reply with quote

My PCP runs out soon (ish) and I have been fortunate enough to be on a bit more money than when i started on it.

This leaves me the luxury of beig able to afford a bit more per month.

My thoughts are between trading in for:

2015 Fireblade ~4000miles
2014 899 Panigale
Keep 600RR and wait till START of next summer so i can ride the bike for more than 3 months
insert other idea here

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:48 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the money, buy a house.
Buy new bike after first mortgage payment and feel like a G.

Biggest thing I regret is not getting a house sorted sooner Laughing

Failing that, don't buy a Honda, bland as a tart.
Test the Panigale torture deathrack, I found it far too cramped.

Then, when you've exhausted all options, buy something you like... that isn't the above.

I'll be honest, I'm bored of the GSXR, I really miss my Triple. 1000cc sports gets boring, regardless of how much you tell yourself, it does get dull as shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:51 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, not what i expected! :p

Im currently saving for a deposit, but also travelling as much as possible too.I want to get a house within the next few years. I'm lucky enough to be able to do all 3.

I was sensible with my bonus + backpay and paid off 80% of my debts (around 7k) so i thought i would treat myself to £50 a month extra :p (going from £150 pm to £200 pm)

I think im gonna stick with the 600 till the start of next summer anyhow. I might have a house by then who knows.

The Ducati sold already so kinda nudged me towards waiting.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:55 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to learn to ride the 600 properly before upgrading to a litre bike IMO. As I recall this is your first big bike and you've had it a year. That's not a lot of time.

Get out there and ride it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the youth of today

Lets not use the extra money to pay off our debts, use it to rent a bigger bike instead Rolling Eyes
Holdawayt This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
Ahh, the youth of today

Lets not use the extra money to pay off our debts, use it to rent a bigger bike instead Rolling Eyes

Did you read his post at all? All debts cleared thanks to bonus and back pay.

Rolling Eyes

Did you read it properly, 80% of his debt is paid

By my maths, that still leaves 20%, so around the £2k mark

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:07 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls.

Apologies

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: I think I know what the response to this might be Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
My PCP runs out soon (ish) and I have been fortunate enough to be on a bit more money than when i started on it.

This leaves me the luxury of beig able to afford a bit more per month.

My thoughts are between trading in for:

2015 Fireblade ~4000miles
2014 899 Panigale
Keep 600RR and wait till START of next summer so i can ride the bike for more than 3 months
insert other idea here

The 600RR is a really decent bike to "put up with" for a while. It's not like you're riding a hack.

If I was in your situation, I would:

1. Pay off 100% of your debt.
2. Don't go into debt again to buy toys (PCP)
3. If you want to change the bike, sell your CBR and try buy the next bike in cash.

This is coming from someone that perhaps previously didn't have the best priorities.

The other thing to note. You mentioned saving for a deposit. Depending on the return you can get for your savings, you may be better off using that to pay off your debt first. Then again, if you have a lifetime ISA, then you'd need to have an APR of >25% on your debt, or take longer than a year to pay it off to benefit from doing this. Also doesn't take into consideration any early repayment fees.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: I think I know what the response to this might be Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

The 600RR is a really decent bike to "put up with" for a while. It's not like you're riding a hack.

If I was in your situation, I would:

1. Pay off 100% of your debt.
2. Don't go into debt again to buy toys (PCP)
3. If you want to change the bike, sell your CBR and try buy the next bike in cash.

This is coming from someone that perhaps previously didn't have the best priorities.

The other thing to note. You mentioned saving for a deposit. Depending on the return you can get for your savings, you may be better off using that to pay off your debt first. Then again, if you have a lifetime ISA, then you'd need to have an APR of >25% on your debt, or take longer than a year to pay it off to benefit from doing this. Also doesn't take into consideration any early repayment fees.

I should be able to clear most of my remaining debt with the next paypacket (july 13th Very Happy). that will feel good to finally be in the black. I've been in £10k debt (loan) since I was 18. Made a bad decision r.e gambling. too long a story for here and im not a sob story person.

With the exception of the PCP that is, however if i want i can just give them the bike back and be 'actually' debt free (but id have no bike and the 600RR is, like you say, a bloody good bike).

I have a help to buy which im putting the max away each month in , as well as putting some spare,

I guess i just felt like treating myself. Though in hindsight i dont have it too bad afterall.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:59 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the temptation though....

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/classifieds/dealer/3558308/1791696796/0.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:49 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Laughing

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:52 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Ahh, the youth of today

Indeed.

Trying to save for house but says its a few years off, yet has a bike on PCP and also a Scooby track car going by his signature.

Priorities...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:39 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

If you think you are in debt now.... buy that... Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

u33db wrote:

Indeed.

Trying to save for house but says its a few years off, yet has a bike on PCP and also a Scooby track car going by his signature.

Priorities...

Wish I'd have done it that way around. I got married and bought a house, and by the time I got enough money back in the pot to do anything interesting with it I was too old and bloody sensible.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
u33db wrote:

Indeed.
Priorities...

Wish I'd have done it that way around. I got married and bought a house, and by the time I got enough money back in the pot to do anything interesting with it I was too old and bloody sensible.

@ arry - not sure I agree. I got married late-ish (38) after frittering my life away down the ale-house. 15 years later I have 3 kids and the wife has buggered off with a (former) friend.. and I've another 10 years until the youngest is 18 all in all I wish I done it earlier. That way when she buggers off you'll still have some youthful energy to do stuff.

Not sure I'd actually marry in 'AshWebster's' situ but having kids earlier is probably no bad thing even if you're telling yourself now 'but I don't want them - ever'.. On the other hand do what you want, but remember it goes quicker than you think..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:56 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

u33db wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
Ahh, the youth of today

Indeed.

Priorities...

hey Very Happy

I work hard for my stuff. some people go out drinking, some do drugs, some gambling, my money goes on petrol and car parts. I've had a long term gf and a house before and that cost me a LOT of money and time.

I can appreciate that it looks frivolous, but i do have my situation in order. Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, I'd say don't change the bike if it's not causing you any issues. I had a brand new ZX6R 17 years ago and kept it 5years. It was all the sports bike I ever needed and in some ways the best bike I ever owned. Im showing my age here but test rode a new 2003 CBR954RR back then, and was tempted to go for it, but I really didn't need another big sports bike, and I had a nearly new car I was spending money on too.

Don't get blinded by the thought of a second hand bigger sports bike on finance as it's not going to be a big deal or make you any happier than a very nice focused 600 like the CBR600RR. I'd much rather have a decent or even just okish bike and a nice project car like your classic Impreza which will be appreciating now for a clean looked after one now they are getting rare.

I'd also never go for finance or PCP on a second hand bike personally. I might have done for a car in the past, but this is far from ideal.

Definitely get a deposit together for a place a mortgage on a house is sound money and gives you more options for the future and for credit security on loans etc too.

I'll never buy another big cc or sports bike brand new, I'm just past a time in my life where I need a really nice and capable big bike. Listen to Paddy, he's not feeling it much for a new litre bike anymore and realises the Street Triples he's had so much of a blast on for a long time, were much more ideal road bikes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 01:35 - 14 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2 grand in debt? I wish.

If you ever plan on looking after offspring, follow paddy's advice.

Personally, I would have drowned them at birth...

(I'm paying my mortgage until I'm 70 and my youngest might have left uni by then.)

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:16 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have listened to the mighty BCF gospel (though i do have a mind of my own Wink ) and decided to let my PCP run its course and decide at the end.

i think my next bike will be based on sound. which is why i liked the Panigale so much. the il4 sound is only great when you're overtaking someone at xxxmph

i will however be sticking with PCP as it allows me to use my savings (help to buy) to get a house in the very near future. if not i wouldnt be able to have a decent bike. what i will probably be doing is either keeping the bike and continuing to pay a similar ppm or trading in for a slightly older nice sounding bike without adding anything on to the pcp. (if anything taking money off since 600RR are actually going up in value).

thanks again BCF crew Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how will you be able to carry on shagging your mum if you move out??

I don't think you've thought about this very carefully.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I'll be honest, I'm bored of the GSXR, I really miss my Triple. 1000cc sports gets boring, regardless of how much you tell yourself, it does get dull as shit.

Triggerrreddddd!!!!!111!

Depends what you're using said litre bike for. I have a GSXR1000 L4 for commuting. It's great. When you want to just cruise along it can do it and when you want to really ride it, it can do that too. I enjoy mine.

If I'm really honest I wouldn't mind something less focussed (read crap) for when I really want to feel like I'm kicking it's head in, but I figure that riding something that's flawed for the rest of the time would ruin more enjoyment than constantly having to look over my shoulder.

I do sort of miss the XSR700 rental bike I had. Being as it wasn't mine it meant that riding it at ten tenths everywhere from the second I turned the key didn't bother me. I wonder how long that would take to wear off? It's not something I want to risk my own money finding out.

Out of the new bikes the only thing that appeals to me is the 765 Street Trip or an RSV4 (Aprilia dealers though).

I can't offer anything meaningful to the OP. This is the person that bought an RX8 at 19 spent 3k insuring it then sold it for a hideous loss when the rear tyres wore out about a year later. That said it made a great noise and I learnt to drift it, so it wasn't all in vain. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I was too old and bloody sensible.

Shocked
You may not be able to reverse the former, but there is no time in life at which you cannot reverse being sensible.
Even if you have no hair left, you can still let it down and go back to being a hellraiser.
Mr. Green Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and don't ever even think about coming on here and saying I sold the Sti to buy a house. That is the sort of behaviour that should get a bloke shot in the head!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:37 - 16 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Triggerrreddddd!!!!!111!

Depends what you're using said litre bike for. I have a GSXR1000 L4 for commuting. It's great.

I use my L0 for commuting Laughing it seems like such a waste and I just find that (although it is now giving me hassle) its too easy to break the law... like I looked down the other week and was just cruising at 90+, didn't even notice.

That and it does fast things really really easily. Like so easy.

Honestly reckon I'd go out for rides if I had something a little less race based. Just a shame as its a quality bike... I just find it boring now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2