Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best van for the job.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:51 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Best van for the job. Reply with quote

What's the best van for £500-2000 for transporting motorcycles?

I'm not fussed if its old and rusty as I can use it to practice welding. Razz
The main thing for me is it has to have a good engine as I've had bad experiences with the newer transits and its probably why all the cheap vans on ebay are transits.
All the guys that drives motorbikes I know have a old beat up van they use to transport bikes. So I thought why not get one.

I would of liked a mercedes vito but I may get a R1200GS at some point and there is no way it would fit in.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:58 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've answered your own question. Consider anything that is in decent condition for the money.

I'd wager you'd find it difficult to find a van with less than 100k miles for under about £3k. I know, I tried it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:06 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
You've answered your own question. Consider anything that is in decent condition for the money.

Well maybe it's a 'what to a avoid question' I know the MK6 and MK7 transits are trash but I've only ever driven ford so I don't know the other makes other then Mercedes and I don't know them that well. High miles isn't a huge issue for me.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Best van for the job. Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
What's the best van for £500-2000 for transporting motorcycles?

I'm not fussed if its old and rusty as I can use it to practice welding. Razz

Then you want an old Bedford Midi. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old Vauxhall Vivaro. It was a rusty pile of shite and I hated it.

I looked at other vans when I first started my boat business but nothing seemed worth while for the stupid prices asked for a tin box on wheels.

In the end I found my C Max did everything I wanted 99% of the time, which is of no help to you. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Binge, he's very clued up on vans and whats good bad on them etc.

Personally I'd get an old van with decent bodywork that's not likely to need any serious work or welding for its next MOT.
Better still if said van has a mechanical fuel injected diesel engine, as they are solid and reliable or at least have far less to go wrong, if you keep it running with clean filters in the fuel system.

I'd also consider a petrol van, as if you find a nice old (not classic tax applicable ) van with a petrol engine they are usually dirt cheap as nobody wants them for a business vehicle.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

We aim to please. Wink

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducatos are FWD and have a low bed height which make loading bikes easier
I now I got mine recovered in one years ago

Whether they're any good or not is unknowm to me
I did have an LDV convoy LWB High roof for a while
they can (or could) be found cheap

Loads of room in those, take two bikes no bother
Transit 2.5 turbo DI engine and gearbox capable of big miles
if serviced properly
but quite basic, slow and god awful noisy at motorway speeds

How about a good car and trailer instead?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renault Master plenty of space reliable and cheap as chips Thumbs Up

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:39 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

I'll look into them thanks. Although should the french badge put me off? Sick Mr. Green

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
almostthere wrote:

I'll look into them thanks. Although should the french badge put me off? Sick Mr. Green

Go for a Movano then, same van.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Peugeot Expert (ex police van), my ZX6 fits in ok, or i can fit a couple of my old British bikes in it. Doubt you'll get a GS in it though.
2.0lt Diesel, i got it with 93k for £800 a few months ago, it seems ok.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

I bought a Master from one of my customers.

LWB and Hi-Top, it was big enough to get 4 full size bikes in and the height meant you could ride them in, if you had a ramp wide enough to get your feet down if you needed to.

Because we had been looking after it for years, the fact it had 175K on the clock didn't put me off (the most major thing it had done was a new gearbox) and it never let me down.

I sold it on because I intended to use it daily instead of a car, but it was so bloody long, you couldn't just pop down the shops and expect to find a parking space.

I passed it to mate, who is still using it for his bike recovery business, 2 years later - perfect for his needs, it's now done over 200K and is still going strong.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

We aim to please. Wink

Laughing It really was dogshite but in it's defence I doubt it had had many caring owners.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a beat up transit that's more than capable, its front wheel drive too so good on fuel. its a 2003 TDDI 2.0 engine model on a 85ps power output. Its a semi hi top SWB and i have easily got a R1200GS in there once. You may have to take the top box off if it stupidly big size

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c9/03/f8/c903f8ff2e6341fb73acc7006f8ce99f--yamaha-bikes-bike-ideas.jpg

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:48 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Best van for the job. Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
all the cheap vans on ebay are transits.

Game of numbers. There are currently 31,000 used vans on Autotrader, of which more than 9000 of the are Ford, around 7500 of them are Transit variants. The 9000 in the first place is nearly as many as Volks, Vauxhall and Merc combined.

In short the reason that there are so many Transits in the used market is that there were so many to begin with. There were so many to begin with because they're the best. If you've ever bought or owned a Ford it isn't down to customer service.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Best van for the job. Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
In short the reason that there are so many Transits in the used market is that there were so many to begin with. There were so many to begin with because they're the best. If you've ever bought or owned a Ford it isn't down to customer service.

Only problem with Transits is they use rust as underseal when they are built.... other than that they are very easy to work on (I managed to reset the timing on one with a cheap socket set and a couple of screwdrivers)

u33db
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:16 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a 2.0 57/08 plate Peugeot expert (later style, not the REALLY old experts) that we use to shift bikes about.

Mainly older bikes like GT750, VF750 etc (i.e. stuff that would dwarf a modern sports bike) so has the height and length to cover most things thesedays

Its relaible as those engines are used in everything (vans, fords, citroens etc) but occassionally gets an "anti pollution warning" when hammered then drops into limp mode with max of 2/3k rpm...god knows why as its seems near impossisble to find the fault, and its fine once reset with a code reader!

You'd get one of them for well under 3k, probably well under 2k depending on mileage.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:13 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedford Rascal......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhuett/8728952533
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:06 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye they are a little small though and pricey.
I might just get a Vito after all they seem like the same van just not as pricey.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretagentmole wrote:

Yes. Nostalgia yo.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come there are so many vans common with different manufacturers? Do they share factories or something?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2