Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Selling a bike - eBay strategy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Selling a bike - eBay strategy? Reply with quote

Have reluctantly decided to part ways with my VStrom, and think I'm going to put it on eBay. Would be interested to hear the thoughts of others who have had success with this as to the following:

Is it better to start off an auction with a 99p start and a reserve of, say, £xxx (to attract interest); or to have no reserve but a start price of the same £xxx? Or not use an auction listing at all, and to do a classified ad instead?

Secondly, if an ebay auction for a bike is 'won'- ie, by someone bidding according to the eBay rules, then providing the listing as been 100% honest about the bike's condition, do 'winners' usually cough up for the winning bid without quibbling, or do they try to use that as the basis for negotiation, as if it was an Autotrader ad or similar?

Or do BCFers think there are better ways of flogging bikes?

(I'm pretty experienced at flogging tat on eBay, just not motor vehicles!)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:26 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a guide for doing this years ago, but I can't seem to find it online.

Basically, you set the starting price as the absolute minimum you would accept for the bike. Be realistic.

Arrow You start the auction on a Thursday night, and make it a 10-dayer. This way you have two weekends for people to come and view the bike.

Arrow You put in the Auction that you won't accept western union bank transfers or foreign sales. You want a £200 deposit via paypal at auction end, and you want the rest in cash. You mention there are two weekends to come and look at the bike, so if they bid they buy. Mention that you will allow test rides if people give you the cash upfront and have the necessary insurance.

Arrow You put in the listing an honest description of the bike including any and all issues.

Arrow Put in large high quality photos from the 8 compass points around the bike. Photos of the clocks inc. mileage and photos of the paperwork but with the reg and addresses covered up. Blank out the reg other than the year on the pics. If you like you can also take a couple of pics to show the condition of the tyres etc.

Assuming you're realistic with the price, it should sell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had better success with scumtree. I always get more than similar vehicles go for by ebay auction. It's also free so worth a first punt.

Do need to deal with gutter trash scum and scammers though. Anybody that texts/messages and asks you to email them is a scammer. You will get phone calls a few minutes after posting your ad from Indian call centres fishing for accident claims info to sell on. They say they are from the MIB, good fun to ask them which building they are in, or what your own surname is.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post it up on the sales pages here too...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MarJay, that's very helpful - all sounds good.

MarJay wrote:
you set the starting price as the absolute minimum you would accept for the bike

So from experience, is that better than a 99p start price and a reserve price of my absolute minimum; or just an opinion? From offloading other stuff on eBay I've certainly had way more success with starting with a stupidly low price, because you usually end up with loads of bids near the end of the auction, which definitely drums up interest and sucks in the idiots in a bidding frenzy - as opposed to using a high start price, and zero bids with only a few hours left to go. Just not sure whether this translates to selling bikes...

MarJay wrote:
Blank out the reg other than the year on the pics.

That's an interesting one. I know everyone does it - presumably to stop people trying to clone the bike? But how much of a risk is that really? How often does it happen? Genuine prospective buyers are going to want the reg to run through vehicle history checkers etc; it's got to dissuade people at least a bit if they cant do that (it would me, anyway).

If you do hide the plate, do you then give out the info to anyone who emails asking you for it, or is that the same deal?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:09 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, auction. Classifieds means you have to deal with idiots making derisory offers by email then taking the hump when you sell it to someone else. Make sure you unclick the offers button on the auction too then check it's remained unclicked when the auction goes live.

Lots of good quality photos, in good light, from every angle. You get 12 with the auction. Use them.

You can't be too detailed in the description.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:15 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

If you do hide the plate, do you then give out the info to anyone who emails asking you for it, or is that the same deal?

An old member of this very forum took a reg plate from a FZ750 on ebay, created a cloned plate, stuck it on his Dad's FZ750 and regularly took it for a spin. At 15 years old.

With regard to the 99p thing, it's too risky. You have to pay for reserve prices, and personally as a bidder I never ever ever bid on an auction with a reserve. I think it's a slightly disengenuous thing to do, when if you just start the flipping thing at the price you want, the people who can afford it will bid. If they can't, they won't. The bidding war thing has never worked for me in the number of occasions I've tried it.

[Edit] Bidding war might well draw in the idiots, but you don't want idiots bidding on your bike! idiots are the ones who complain about stupid faults, try to get money off etc. Be honest and transparent. That's the only way that ebay works in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:23 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one that always avoids reserves.
I may ask how much the reserve is. If they won't answer - then I'll not waste my time. I might aim for that one to find the reserve was set at unrealistically high and miss other good deals in the mean time.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the "don't use Gumtree!" attitude some have

I've flogged some of my own vehicles and a few 125s on Gumtree for my lads and it was pretty painless.

I dont use my personal phone
I dont read or respond to texts as they're usually from twats/chavs etc
Serious buyers will call, a quick chat usualy tells you if they're idiots or not.

I let folk haggle me down a bit and insist on cash only
I've met some decent folk and we all parted happy.

I have had few "will u swap,can you deliver m8? got the munny but......"
stories and politely decline any offer or deal I'm not happy with

Record time and mileage of sale so if the buyer gets up to mischief
your ass is covered.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:39 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Serious buyers will call, a quick chat usualy tells you if they're idiots or not.

I prefer to text and have often been a 'serious buyer'.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

Likewise. Working shifts can be a pain with phonecalls plus people sometimes don't understand my accent. I usually ask for texts or emails in ads.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:25 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No potential buyers are going to be phoning you as you can't put phone numbers in the description if it's an auction. Wink

People are much more interested in what's wrong with something rather than what's right with it.

High resolution photos are very helpful so make sure to have lots of them, taken in good lighting, etc etc etc

From looking at sold listings, unless there's something very rare / special / unusual about your bike then you'll already know how much it's going to sell for. Whether to do 99p no reserve, to do starting the auction at the minimum price you'll accept or to list as a buy it now is a matter of opinion. There are advantages and disadvantages to each method. I'm another person who dislikes reserve prices.

Prevent foreign people from bidding on your auction by setting buyer requirements. https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html To block bidders from certain countries, go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Site preferences, scroll to Postage & packaging preferences, click Show. Then next to "Exclude postage locations from your listings" there's an edit button and my advice is to exclude everywhere. Laughing

You can always add people to the exemption list should you be contacted by Johnny Foreigner who wants to buy your bike to take it to Eastern Europe.

You will get stupid questions and stupid offers to end the auction early but that's eBay for you.

Also advertise on BCF. Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Mention that you will allow test rides if people give you the cash upfront and have the necessary insurance.

This is interesting because I didn't know I could be liable if a third party wasn't insured and I let them test ride my bike.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a supporter of the classified add rather than the auction. I just use ebay because it's the largest audience around.

I have only had a few derisory offers, I just bin them. If the offers are close to what I would accept I'll tell them and see if they come back.

I haven't tried the auction route with vehicles since ebay started screwing around with phone numbers so I don't know if they do it with vehicles. When I went for an expensive 12v fridge I couldn't get to go and look at it before bidding and the pissed me off.

If I can't get to see a vehicle, or at least have a good chat with the vendor over the phone I'm not willing to bid.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
An old member of this very forum took a reg plate from a FZ750 on ebay, created a cloned plate, stuck it on his Dad's FZ750 and regularly took it for a spin. At 15 years old.

Ouch. But then again, all being well my bike won't be registered to me in 2 weeks time, so do I care all that much? (Maybe reg numbers displayed on adverts is actually more of a concern for buyers rather than sellers!)

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I didn't know I could be liable if a third party wasn't insured and I let them test ride my bike.

Wasn't there a case reported on BCF very recently of some poor schmuck who flogged his bike but omitted to cancel his insurance, and was then pursued for eye-watering third-party damages when the new owner spectacularly binned it? This would seem to be an identical scenario.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:56 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

This is interesting because I didn't know I could be liable if a third party wasn't insured and I let them test ride my bike.

Not only that, but you will also be given points for no insurance if they are caught - if they have an accident, not only is your insurance liable, but you and the rider will probably get 6 points each for no insurance.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:02 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it up on Gumtree as a freebie. Keep a copy of your advert in a text file along with pictures with numbered filenames, to make it easier to keep reposting it every couple of days. You can delete older versions of the ad, but Gumtree really doesn't give a stuff and never takes things down even when reported to them.

I'd only ever list on Ebay as a classified ad, and the bike would go to the first person who actually shows up with the money. No haggling over price by email, and beware "Would you take...?" fishing by folk trying to find out the maximum they'll have to pay.

Don't waste your time trying to put off time wasters. Just ignore them, and focus on attracting serious, careful, legitimate buyers by answering every conceivable question about the bike's history and condition in the advert.

If you do go with an auction, consider that all bidders are potential buyers, and feel free to offer the losing bidders a chance to buy it if the winner doesn't show up sharpish.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:11 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people ( https://www.motorists-lawyer.co.uk/content/services/driving-without-insurance.rhtm ) say:

"The fact that you did not know they were uninsured will not be a defence. However, if you gave them permission to drive on the strict condition they were in fact insured, yiu [sic] will be ok."

This page ( https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79030 ) says the same.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that cause and permit offences also apply to license and MOT. I'd check and record all three before allowing a test ride.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be wary of the 'can I come and see it first?' scammers who check out your location for a five finger discount at 2am.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Also be wary of the 'can I come and see it first?' scammers who check out your location for a five finger discount at 2am.

Oof. Bearing in mind that any serious buyer is likely to want to come and see it first, how the hell do you get round that one? Crying or Very sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:57 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't. Well, you could meet them somewhere that isn't the address where you keep the bike but buyers will find that suspicious. If you do that then the thief could rob the bike from you then anyway.

Someone who wins the auction could rob you when they come to pay you and collect the vehicle.

Someone could follow you home and come back to rob your bike that night.

#bikelife could spray you with acid and steal your bike tomorrow morning.

The world is a big nasty place, even more so if you dare to venture out from your safe space. Crying or Very sad

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check them out on eBay. If they're genuine, they'll contact you through proper channels. Or just park it 3 doors down when they arrive.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

That's as maybe.
Call me old fashioned but I expect a chap to turn up in a tie
and have a well trimmed moustache with a whiff of pipe tobacco and scotch about him,
not the effeminate scents and potions you get nowadays.

You come sauntering up our gravel drive in your new fangled plimsolls and nylon pyjama
looking things and we'll set the dogs on you, you see if we dont!.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always either set a start price or use a classified ad. 99p starts and no reserve IMO does not work with vehicles, but would be useful for stuff like furniture or electricals etc.

Bearing in mind what Ste said, I'd always sell from home and take the risk. You don't have to let them see inside your garage, garden or shed, and you don't have to let them meet your dog or see your CCTV alarm system if its concealed.

As I buyer I'd be too sus to meet them at Asda or a motorway services etc. Nothing legitimate is ever sold at a services IMO. If I was turning up with a wedge of cash and a won bid, I'd expect to be treated with respect and maybe invited indoors to count the money and do paper work etc to re-assure me about the seller and their honesty.

Remember I could turn up to buy, pocket full of cash and you could rob me or have your mates jump me take my money and keep the bike as an alternative scenario.

Lastly as said keep details of bidders who contact you saying can they have second chance if the buyer does not turn up. Usually these are genuine people who might miss out due to not being able to watch the auction at the end time.

I've bought two cars (one of my Rovers which was a stunner) and a bike buy emailing the seller before the end and saying please let me know if the buyer doesn't turn up or messes you around. You probably at best with EBay have a 50% chance of the winning bidder being genuine, and honest by commuting themselves at the end of the auction. Second chance winner's are valuable to have IMO.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2