Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
But how much of a risk is that really?

I put a Carisma on gumtree (plates showing) last year and it was up for a month or two. A little later i got two parking tickets for it in Ealing (it hadn't ever been to Ealing) and the photos were of the same car with my reg number.

Luckily there was a little sticker or two on the windscreen and a couple of tiny differences that convinced Ealing Borough Council that it was a ringer, and so they dropped the tickets.

Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but shows how easily it's done, and that there are people out there more than ready to fuck you over if they can.

I take more care now... Embarassed

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest using Autotrader instead of ebay. It costs pretty much the same. My Blackbird was sold on Autotrader and Bandit on ebay.

You got all sorts of chancers contacting you on ebay along the lines of...
1: What's your cash price (I dont bother responding)
2: Will you exchange it for <Insert Make and Model here> (I dont bother responding)
3: "I see that the fairing is scratched will you accept £1000 less" (The fairing isnt scratched and i don't bother responding)

Maybe I was lucky but I got far fewer fuckwits on autotrader than i did on ebay.

As far as viewing the bike is concerned i wheel the bike out of the garage before anyone turns up as i dont want them to see how secure my garage is or what else is in my garage and i leave the bike on the driveway locked with my almax chain and disc lock in front.

I don't accept a test ride request unless i get the full amount in cash up front, photocopy of licence and some proof that he/she is insured to ride.

Last but not least, please take your time when selling and be patient. Buyers often rely upon people wanting to make a quick sale. If you're patient you'll eventually come across a serious buyer and get a better deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:23 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

People on eBay who ask stupid questions should be added to your blocked bidders list.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw I've sold three bikes on eBay and had absolutely no problems of any kind at any time - barring low-ball messages and morons (but not many of them). My ads read something like this:

Bike make, model and year. 12 months MOT. Mileage. Number of owners. Price.

Pictures x 8 or whatever.

All sold for cash - buyers decent, honest, articulate people. Yes, I was probably fortunate. But it was all painless and nobody ever came back on me about anything.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
People on eBay who ask stupid questions should be added to your blocked bidders list.

Agreed.

I just received a twat question and decided to look at his feedback rating (which was 100%, from several hundred transactions). Since eBay in their infinite wisdom banned sellers from negging bad buyers, I've always taken feedback ratings with a pinch of salt. What I hadn't actually realised though is that sellers are now leaving shitty comments alongside positive feedbacks. Just check out the most recent feedbacks on this dude Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/ynehAgT.jpg

Into the blocked bidders file you go, sonny!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:13 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
I would suggest using Autotrader instead of ebay. It costs pretty much the same. My Blackbird was sold on Autotrader and Bandit on ebay.

Last time I tried AutoTrader, I got absolutely no responses except people offering to sell my bike for me for a fee. I did get the odd "Will you accept 800 quid m8" but nothing that was actually a lead to selling the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
These people ( https://www.motorists-lawyer.co.uk/content/services/driving-without-insurance.rhtm ) say:

"The fact that you did not know they were uninsured will not be a defence. However, if you gave them permission to drive on the strict condition they were in fact insured, yiu [sic] will be ok."

This page ( https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79030 ) says the same.

Oh! I appear in that thread Smile Yes, once upon a time, I needed to look up this defence in Stone's. Yes, it works. When you lend something say "You can (drive|ride) it as long as you have the appropriate insurance etc." (or specify the exact words "on the express condition that"). After having personally tested the effect of these words on the clerk to the court, which was extremely gratifying, I always say this when lending.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:59 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Selling a bike - eBay strategy? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Have reluctantly decided to part ways with my VStrom, and think I'm going to put it on eBay. Would be interested to hear the thoughts of others who have had success with this as to the following:

So did you sell it or what?

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
I've had better success with scumtree. I always get more than similar vehicles go for by ebay auction. It's also free so worth a first punt.

Do need to deal with gutter trash scum and scammers though. Anybody that texts/messages and asks you to email them is a scammer.

I had that. Texted me from a withheld number insisting on emailing. When I was stupid enough to email back they said that neither they nor their "family member who really wants the bike" could make it but they'll send a courier and they'll only pay via PayPal rather than cash. Rolling Eyes As if that wasn't fishy enough they were keen to point out that they'd pay "your full asking price!!" and didn't once ask a question about the bike itself, nor reference it by name.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2