Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Practicing archery. Legally.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Practicing archery. Legally. Reply with quote

Simple question. Is it legal just to go to some woods and practice archery?

Cheers [/quote]

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you're catching, yeah sure.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty of archery clubs around to go to and practice properly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:44 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some woods?

You'll be wanting permission from the land owner.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
In some woods?

You'll be wanting permission from the land owner.

That will be your Lord, The Sheriff of Nottingham you want to speak to. (I heard he is a bit of a cnut about folk doing archery in and around his woods though.)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:30 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a field archery club. You'll be able to do it without being arrested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:31 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
You'll be able to do it without being arrested.

Shhh!

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
MarJay wrote:
You'll be able to do it without being arrested.

Shhh!

I went in to my local police station* to ask if I could practice archery on a large field (next to a primary school).... they said something along the lines of "nae bother Robin" Thumbs Up

*When I say went in, I stood outside and used the telephone Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
So long as you're catching, yeah sure.

And i thought you had forgotten me! Wub

I kinda took you for a receiver though Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
plenty of archery clubs around to go to and practice properly.

There are a couple locally but theyre a bit snooty. Like most clubs really. From recollection they keep an odd schedule like not running in the summer ir only meeting on the third Friday of a month with mire than one S in the name and then only on leap years.

Im very wary of clubs anyway, there's always some poor gut whos whole life revolves around the club and any new recruits are seen as an opportunity to make friends.

You may have gathered im not the friend type. Im sure I have some pals here who will take the bait though Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:53 - 05 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target or clout?

If clout, fit rubber blunts. I regularly drag Master and Miss Borg out to clout shoot in public areas. Cheery waves and chats to passing doggists and such, it's not going to be an issue.

They use me as a target, and yes, I do manage to catch a few. The rubber blunts also help the arrows to not get buried too deep.

If you want to use metal piles for target shooting, I'd probably stick to private land or be a bit circumspect. You might want to look into getting 3rd party insurance cover through GNAS, BASC, Countryside Alliance or similar, and keeping evidence of that to hand.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local club has a new website and looks a bit more relaxed. However on the subject of clubs, on a jaunt into the country side i popped by a Gliding club to enquire about airborne shenanigans. All great, handy from where i live and economical way of doing a bit of flying. However, the dreaded Club Guy made an appearance. Not of the needy for friends variety but more the Sage of all things (insert activity here) type. Good grief. Rolling Eyes

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you rather the club was full of reclusive people who don't know anything about gliding? Laughing
Every club has a few know all's, some who actually know a lot less than they make out. I joined a shooting club a few years back and they were pretty much the kind of club you're looking for. No one tells you anything or offers any advice or any coaching. Eventually I got to know people, but In the end I joined another club where there were one of two annoying know alls, but a huge number of genuinely knowledgeable and pleasant people to talk to.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Would you rather the club was full of reclusive people who don't know anything about gliding? Laughing
Every club has a few know all's, some who actually know a lot less than they make out. I joined a shooting club a few years back and they were pretty much the kind of club you're looking for. No one tells you anything or offers any advice or any coaching. Eventually I got to know people, but In the end I joined another club where there were one of two annoying know alls, but a huge number of genuinely knowledgeable and pleasant people to talk to.

Good point.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:32 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still legal to bow & arrow welshmen to death on a Sunday?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to be sensible and so signed up for lessons at the local archery club.

Asharin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do it in my garden tbh, have a target set up beside my shed. I have the advantage on living on the side of a valley, so rear garden is raised, any arrows that miss (rare) just hit the wall (since padded as it was breaking the arrowheads)

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:13 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a £30 bow off merlin archery and got it delivered with no checks. blunt arrows, ez pz. Set up a makeshift target in my garden and nobody said anything about it. Its a fairly widespread hobby so i'm sure finding a proper club shouldnt be too hard where you could just turn up and shoot targets.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1