Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2002 NSR 125R - Metal lever above clutch

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

elliottk94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:29 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: 2002 NSR 125R - Metal lever above clutch Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any idea what the bent metal lever that sits just above the clutch and what purpose does it serve? I've attached a couple of pics I've found on the internet for reference.

The reason I ask is because I've noticed mine is cracked on the inside of the curve in the middle. I'm worried about it snapping and reaping havoc inside the case when the engine is running. It feels solid and I'm just wondering if snapping it straight off would be better than leaving it and constantly worrying what could happen.

I can't figure what it could be other than something to divert oil coming off the clutch when it's spinning? Also I have no idea what part no. it is... tried looking through every exploded view of the NSR and just can't find/figure it out.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Smile

Last edited by elliottk94 on 14:41 - 06 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

elliottk94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:32 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure to as why the second picture doesn't show in the thread but the download link works fine.

Thanks to everyone who responds in advanced Smile

Elliott

elliottk94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a picture of the part on a crackcase for sale on eBay (picture added). Doesn't look like it serves a major purpose and I'm a little relieved now. I don't suppose anyone would know the part number or what section of the schematics to look on so I can see if NutJob or CMSNL can get me a replacement

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does mechanical things. Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

elliottk94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:36 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Would you care to explain what it does then? My pretty little head is very worried about it!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliottk94 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Would you care to explain what it does then? My pretty little head is very worried about it!

So long as its doing exactly what it's designed to do, I'd go back to wanking.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it some sort of lock off for the kick start or something like that? As mentioned, if it works I wouldn't worry about knowing what every single component does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

elliottk94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:51 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Is it some sort of lock off for the kick start or something like that? As mentioned, if it works I wouldn't worry about knowing what every single component does.

I don't think it would be something to do with a kick start as the bike doesn't have a kick start. The older NSR 125's (pre 1994) do not have it from looking at pictures of the insides and they do have kick starters I'm pretty sure.

Only reason I'm worried is because if it were to snap while running it would do lots of damage which is why I'm thinking should I cut my losses and just snap it clean off to avoid potential disaster? On the other hand, like I originally said, it does feel solid so if its not a component that doesn't take stress there shouldn't be a reason for it to snap.

Anyhow, I went out for a ride for 60 odd miles yesterday evening after work and nothing happened so I'm probably just excessively worrying!

Elliott
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1