Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Was my CBT bike defective/acceptable

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:40 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Was my CBT bike defective/acceptable Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I took a CBT with my son yesterday and am left feeling a bit deflated and lacking confidence. Was just the three of us (me, my son and another guy who had moped experience and was going to go to do the full direct access). Neither I or my son had any experience.

We were on pretty beat up Honda CB125s. The first part of the slow manoeuvres went OK, me and the moped guy were a bit too stiff and not looking enough at where we intended to go but the instructor seemed happy with the general progress. It was 27C though and tiring, we took a break and after starting again it all began to un-ravel, we tried the back brakes for the first time, riding around in big loops following the instructor, but I was finding it so hard, figure of eights and slalom where and epic sometimes juddery struggle for me and trying to follow the advice given just made it worse. I had to move the bike around by pushing it at one point which was soo hard (much easier than when we did it the start). I also got told to stop riding the back brake so hard (but was sure I didn't even have my foot on the brake, there again with those big boots I wasn't sure.

I managed a single U turn, by wobbly miracle and was suggested that I practice a few figure of eights to get my mojo back, but it was getting so horrible, I waited until he had finished U-turns with the other two and asked the instructor to look at my bike, I thought it was more possible either I was suffering from heat stroke, anxiety or just incompetence by this point.

The instructor rode my bike briefly and frowning took it over to their garage and got some tools out, spent about five minutes fettling, adjusted the clutch leaver (the biting point was right at the end of travel but i had got used to that). He put the bike on the center stand and spun the back wheel with his hand it only managed a quarter turn, then various adjustments about the brake and then it would spin a few revolutions, he applied the back brake with his hand, released the brake spun the wheel and it now made about three quarters of turn. He saw me watching and said "I just made a few adjustments to make it more how I would like it if I was riding it" My BS meter needle was hovering around 8 at this point but I was too tired hot and unconfident about motorcycles to make a point out it, I only rode another five mins and then conceded defeat due to lack of confidence whilst the other guys practiced the stopping exercises. I didn't get to go out on the road my Son and the other guy did though and got their certificates.

Did a bit of youtubing and that back wheel surely should have been spinning pretty freely? basically thinking back the problems I started having were when trying to follow the advice when turning I was slowing down quite quickly (with no brake applied), surely it should be more like freewheeling with maybe some power depending how far I was through the biting point so basically the only way could get through a turn without slowing drastically was to either really ramp up the revs and or let the clutch out so really I was trying to get through the figure of eight and the slaloms using the throttle and pulling the clutch in to brake a bit (not exactly smooth or precise especially for a novice.).

I am sure there would a high probability I wouldn't complete fully on the day but it would have been good to get on the road and completed got my monies worth with rest of the training.

Does it sound like a binding back brake and am I correct to think that makes the slow manaouvers for a novice pretty ghastly? Apparrently if I pay another eighty quid I can do another day, but i am inclined to do it elsewhere. Until I get back on a bike I won't really know I only have the experience of that one bike and what I saw with the adjustments etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:20 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Was my CBT bike defective/acceptable Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
Does it sound like a binding back brake

Hard to tell from a description. It only takes the tiniest bit of brake dragging to stop the rear wheel from spinning. There's also friction from the bearings, chain and front sprocket/output shaft that will slow it down.

What I would absolutely say is: don't sweat it. There's a huge amount to take in in one day, especially for geezers like us you.

I went back for a 2nd bite at it and, wow, it was so much easier going in rested with an opportunity for it to sink in.

Is your son planning to buy a 125? If so, you could have a quick practice on, uh... private land.

But really, just take another swing at it. Once it clicks, you'll suddenly find yourself having a great time. And once you get off the tiddlers and onto a 600cc+ bike, it gets better and easier.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:24 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, my introdution to biking was three times round the playing field and then fuck off down the road (with no crash helmet) when the bike owner was distracted.

You lot have it easy, jumpers for goalposts etc.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Was my CBT bike defective/acceptable Reply with quote

INSERT BAD DOUBLE POST HERE!

Last edited by hedgehugger on 15:53 - 06 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Was my CBT bike defective/acceptable Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
chris_hu_cheng wrote:
Does it sound like a binding back brake

Hard to tell from a description. It only takes the tiniest bit of brake dragging to stop the rear wheel from spinning. There's also friction from the bearings, chain and front sprocket/output shaft that will slow it down.

What I would absolutely say is: don't sweat it. There's a huge amount to take in in one day, especially for geezers like us you.

quote]

It IS a lot to take in. Like Roger I needed the second go too.
My first attempt was taken in very hot weather, I was exhausted and bawled like a baby I was so knackered and frustrated. Really!
Went back a month or so later and had it nailed. Needed time for all that new info too soak into the brain. (had to pay for a 2nd CBT too!).

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:32 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: cheers that helps Reply with quote

already feels a bit more in perspective, it is a bit intimidating to find out you don't pick things as fast as you think you used to.

Truth is I will never know if that bike was dragging its backend, as next time around everything might feel more spritely just because I have consolidated the learning from before. So may as well put it behind and get on the next one.

nice to find this place, lots of help here it seems, specially if you don't have any motorcycle enthusiasts in family or friends to ask (apart from my son now and he should have a bike in a few weeks) he is 24 later this year and looking to practice and then get some training and do a full licence next year.

I guess I have to follow in his footsteps for a change Wink

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBTs are rarely easy, from what I can tell. Certainly mine was all kinds of horrendous. The bikes were okay though - CG125s. I did it in August and it was hot and shite, and I nearly jacked it in at dinner time. I never got out of first. The playground was diddy for one thing - but more pertinently I sucked more or less total ass. Riding motorbikes is fucking hard when you haven't got a clue - and potentially quite tricky even at the best of times.

You'll probably find it a lot easier when you go back for the second day. I did. And I thought I wouldn't tbh. But I did - soon got out on the road ride and actually made a pretty good fist of it after such a terrible start.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:11 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: back on the horse Reply with quote

It is encouraging to find out despite some people thinking the CBT is a breeze, it actually isn't for many of us, at least I know I am probably not 'bike disabled'.

Booked back in for Friday week at the same place, is actually 60 quid second time around, will make sure I line up behind one of the other bikes (just in case). Will post the happy story when I get there (even if it takes three. Logically it should be harder than learning to drive a car, at least when learning about biting points in cars they don't try and topple over and dump you on the ground.

BTW cheers guys!!!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, don't worry about it.
Speaking as an instructor, I'd be very tempted to spread it over 2 days when it's this hot. Your doing something new and already sweating before you poodle around for 2 hours in the blazing heat. Far easier to finish before exhaustion causes an accident, just start earlier on day 2 and be done before the mad dogs and Englishmen go out. Unfortunately, monetary issues arise and profit does cloud judgement. As Rogerborg has vented many times (and I agree) there is no requirement for it to be done in one day.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:47 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to say anything from description, but.
1/ He wouldn't be looking at your boot to grumble about you dragging the back brake... he'd be watching the brake light....
2/ what on EARTH were you doing faffing with the clutch to do a slalom on a 125?!?
You either ride it clean, clutch out the whole way.. which is the better way about, especially on a 125 that probably tops out at about 20mph in first with the valve bouncing, or some-one has an idea you need to learn to do slow-speed manouvered using 'Drag-n'Slip' keeping engine revs high, slipping the clutch and holding the bike back on the back brake... which if he was grumbling you were riding the back brake would be oddd.

Comment about not wanting to rev the knackers off the little thing was possibly the most revealing; its a 125, it makes about 10bhp at 10K rpm, you HAVE to rev the little feckers to make them move.... But, they have enough power 'low-down' to do probably 30mph in top gear.....

Big problem with long-standing car drivers here.... and suggestion is you are one....

Car drivers have been taught for probably 20 years to keep the revs low and use tall gears, 'cos envomental'.. its actually not all that great a technique in a car and not necesserily any more economical... but its NOT the way to ride a motorbike... that doesn't have a relatively low rev ceiling and a broad spread of 'tractable' power, and an excess probably 8x what a little 125 might.. A-N-D a random-access gearbox you can change straight from fifth to first, with out having to go through forth, third and second along the way, with the air of syncro-mesh to line up the cogs and stop them grinding and craunching....

Very very common tendency for pre-existing car drivers to change up far too many gears at far too low a speed, and make the poor little engine labour at low revs where it has very little power.... wondering why the thing is loath to respond to the throttle, and convinced that the thing will blow up, if they use more than half revs....

Because they have sat in a box for umpety years, where the only clue the engine is even running is the rev-counter on the dash-board! And on a bike, the engine is not just exposed, but in very close proximity to thier testicular regions, and there's nothing to damp the noise....

SO... on balence of probability.... lets see....

We have you... on a hot day, an existing car driver, 'learning' to ride a motorbike, essentially on your first time on one, or first time for a very long time, on one!

We have a DSA qualified instructor, who has to get there, done a bit of riding, and some proper motorbike tests, and some more on top of them to become an instructor.... who likely rides every day, and has to deal with the school bikes, and students, every week-end...

Hmmmm... which way do you think the pendulum aught swing?

Put it like this: IF you don't trust the instructors judgement, WHY the heck are you only considering going to a different school for your own CBT? Surely if the bloke cant be trusted, you would want to take your son along for another one too, to make sure HE was properly clued up and trained, and not a danger to himself, even though he was given the ticket to ride? If you DO trust the instructors judgement HE can ride.... why don't you trust his judgement about the bike you had?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:04 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: cheers that helps Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
already feels a bit more in perspective, it is a bit intimidating to find out you don't pick things as fast as you think you used to.

I was surprised too, I've never really had problems picking things up, but there's just so much to get a grasp of in a few hours.

The first thing that got me was that looking at a 125, I thought "Oh, pfft, that's just a pushbike with an engine." Then you feel the weight of it putting it on its centre stand and my God, what maniac would try and ride such a monster? Pale

But with more context, 125s will feel like fun toys. It's just a matter of sticking with it. I promise it's worth it, it's the best decision I ever made (unless the wife reads this).

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:35 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

SO... on balence of probability.... lets see....

We have you... on a hot day, an existing car driver, 'learning' to ride a motorbike, essentially on your first time on one, or first time for a very long time, on one!

We have a DSA qualified instructor, who has to get there, done a bit of riding, and some proper motorbike tests, and some more on top of them to become an instructor.... who likely rides every day, and has to deal with the school bikes, and students, every week-end...

Hmmmm... which way do you think the pendulum aught swing?

Because I am human in a strange environment, and you will see that I have actually booked to go back to the same place because I am already
coming around to your way of thinking before you posted. The comment about the bike in a later post... because us intelligent monkeys are still superstitious with our knocking on wood and religious pre-clavities.

Errrm because I know my son has road-sense, has had car driving lessons and I have driven with him, I saw them being trained and was more thinking along the lines that he didn't want to admit that there was something wrong with the bike than he was a bad instructor and as we have learned even Catholic priests are not Lily White so I have to think that even a DSA Qualified instructor might want to save a quid or two.

Becasue as you say I am a car driving ninny who got on a bike for the first time yesterday.

But I am making peace with it and will sleep peacefully to-night because I am confident that you too may be a gibbering excuse seeking, conspiracy wreck in at least one environment where I am currently as stable genius. I think that about covers it on the balance of probability.

BTW He was apsofuckinglutely teaching us to use the clutch, I can gaurantee that, I don't know enough to make that up so go figure.....

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:46 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

2/ what on EARTH were you doing faffing with the clutch to do a slalom on a 125?!?

Actually that is very interesting, I was kind of going the throttle way despite what he was telling us, is it possible he was taking that approach because the other guy was going on to do full licence and he was jumping the gun and saving time with him?????

Do you recommend I just go throttle and master the relaxed look where you want to go next time??? (I will probably be going a bit faster than he was getting us to go) I got the impression that despite his suggestions and advice he didn't care what did if it worked, was consistent and safe.

He did seem to be quite obsessed with us being able to ride, very slooowly though.

OH and would that throttle advice extend to play-ground corners and figure of eight too.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:25 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most or prev post was written before you commented about the repeat. BTW.

Clutch 'out' vs Slip'n'Drag... for ME.. clutch out all the way. Do it on the throttle. I came up through schoolboy trials almost forty years ago; if you want a bike to go that slow, use a lower gear; if you don't have a lower gear.. fit a bigger sprocket.. if you have the clutch 'in' you don't have control, and trials is a control sport... so I am really not an advocate of deliberatey riding the clutch in slip'n'drag to go slow.

If you want to give an instructor apoplexy... when they try teaching slip'n'drag, and tell you its 'for control'... suggest then it muct be a great idea to pull in the clutch and 'coast' slowing down for junctions and stuff... which they will almost certainly tell you is a no-no and means you AREN'T in full control, because you don't have 'drive'..... Its a bit of hypocracy I rather enjoy....

Slip'n'Drag...... is the motorcycle equivalent of patting your head and rubbing your tummy.. it is NOT a great way to effect control, whether at slow speed or otherwise, as the argument against coasting to junctions etc. In trials and stunt, which is all about 'control' as said, IF they need bike to go that slow they use a lower gear, and or fiut bigger wheel-sprocket to lower the gearing to get one, so they can go that slow 'clutch out' and be in full control with driven wheels, not coasting, or burning out both clutch and brake pads.

I REALLY don't like or agree with it.. but, reason its on the menu is that that is how so many licence holders these days have been taught.

Its a legacy of Direct Access Training... tests are the same whether you do them on a 125 or a 500, but if you do the CBT/Mod 1 maneuvers on a bigger bike, clutch out, you will likely do them rather quick... and the instructor and examiner might have to break into a sweat to keep up with you..... cant have that can we, most un-cool!

It's a cheap trick to 'under-drive' the gear box and make the bike go slower than gearing allows; but also gets the revs up above the low down lumpiness where trying to trickle at little more than tick-over they get a bit snatchy and the chain starts jerking and stuff, and they threaten to stall.... getting the revs up gets you over that lumpy-zone, and holding it back on the brake means you wont so likely run out of gap to make bike turn between cones so quick, as you will also likely be loath to lean it, and try doing all your turning on the handlebars, and wrestling with the thing.

It then gives an examiner a demonstration, like patting head and rubbing tummy of 'control co-ordination' juggling three competing controls, clutch, brake and throttle, when you SHOULD only need the one, the throttle.. nice to do... but being able to pat head and rub tummy wont stop a gymnast falling of a volting horse!

So it is a peculiarly academic exercise, for test, that has been so ingrained as the way to do it, via DAS training, these days it's rarely even questioned as whether or not its the 'best' way of doing anything, let alone tackling slow-speed maneuvers.

And it is interesting, that it has been promoted by DAS significantly because, on DAS a student expect instant results, and its very disheartening to constantly fail to ride it clean and move on, or nagging a student not riding it clean, just on the throttle; when on DAS you are paying a lot of money to some-one essentially just to watch you wobble, on a big bike, unlike going it alone DIY on a 125 when you dont 'need' to drag'n'slip to start with, as the bikes are geared that much lower because of the small power they can have, and you can practice to your hearts content, on your own time, not paying any-one to yell at you.

BUT.... it is something now taught almost from the Go-Get, even on tiddlers you don't need do it on, because it is something that is expected you will have to do 'on test' especially on a DAS bike.

Still don't mean that its the best way about it though.... which it aint!

Hence the apoplexy and hypocracy if you try use suggestion if its good for slow speed control, coasting must be good for slowing for junctions! Lol.

Do it by all means, in fact if you intend to do DAS learn it and habitualise it, but remember it is NOT the best way to tackle slow speed manouvers, its not giving you control, it is actually abdicating control and making life hard for yourself juggling three controls when one is all you need, and you probably have other fish to fry, and it is a patting head and rubbing tummy accademic excersise for test, you probably never have good reason to use in the real world on the road.

Apply to your questions as you deem fit. I would ride it clutch out all the way on a 125 for CBT, and I would suggest same to others; they just aren't that fast, and max one out in first year you will be lucky to go much more than 20mph, anyway; I would also advocate leaning the bike to make it turn on the tough stuff like slalom and figure 8, and of needed 'counter-leaning', leaning upper body the 'other' way to the way you lean the bike, to hold balence better....

That one is also a bit contentious.... in trials we don't sit on the seat... not that there is much of one... we stand on the pegs and do it all 'feet up' leaning bike which ever way we need between our legs... this is NOT appreciated much on CBT or mod 1..... the authorities still believe... errantly, not ONLY do you need to have your bum on the seat, to be 'in full control' you have to have BOTH tyres on the floor as well! Shocked lol.

I actually failed my 'Part 1' thirty years ago, doing the slalom trials style, on the back wheel, feet up! The instructor/examiner said, "You want to take the proverbial? Two can play at that game... that was a fantastic display of riding control... that just got you FAILED" lol! And she was NOT a woman who looked like she was to be argued with!

However... slower corners, rather than slalom or 8's; yes, I would do it all on the throttle, and not make life hard for myself; and again, LEAN to turn; all too easy to slow down far to much for what is a rather mild corner, and not have any momentum to carry you through it on the throttle.... most STILL if you are loath to let the engine rev out, and are trying to do a circuit of the CBT course in 3rd gear or more, and trying to clunk down cogs as well, and slow and steer all at the same time.....

They'll probably expect you to change up to 2nd once moving to show a nice smooth controlled change, but after than, no need go up another, or clunk it down to 1st again to go around a corner... let it rev and use the throttle.. it wont go 'bang'... well, it SHOULDN'T go bang.... probably... who cares! Schools bike! Lol.

Our Snowie, My O/H, did her last CBT and tests on a CB125 Super-Dream; that little twin cylinder engine is lovely and smooth for the slow speed stuff, and it revs to 14K!! Audaciouse.... I am still trying to work out exactly what unthinkable revs she must have been pulling when she tripped the Mod 1 speed trap, which was before they lowered it, and I think she had to better 32mph.... and she did! Shocked In FIRST GEAR! She missed her change to second going into the loop, and thought she was in 2nd as she came out... and I watched... with pained expression... and examiner moved his clipboard to cover his head from shrapnel, as she dipped her head, adopted a dog-fight grimace and nailed the poor little thing, in a shitorbust shot at the trap! That ended with a rather loud clattering... we quickly discovered was a tappet bouncing around the rocker cover! Laughing She actually 'passed' too!

So yeah, be smooth, be confident, dont over slow for the corner, or for the cones on slalom of 8, its a slo-speed excersise not a NO speed excersise! And on a 125 that will do up to 20 in 1st, let it rev, and use the throttle, and unless you want to pat your head and rub your tummy, do it all clutch out...

On CBT its not a test, and 125 shouldn't go 'that' fast. On Mod1, its still NOT absolutely essential... you should be able to ride it clean 'clutch out' still, and you shouldn't be penalized to going too fast, as long as you aren't taking the proverbial, BUT, examiner will likely expect to see 'drag'n'slip, so look for other reasons for fail even if you dont clip a cone; it is a technique, you probably want to learn so you can demonstrate on test... but beyond that? NOT something you need use, and not something that's as suggested, a great way to tackle slow speed maneuvers.

Helpful hints in there is use revs not gears; dont be scared to rev the little fecker; dont be afraid to tilt to turn; and if you need to bend at the wast to counter lean a little to let the thing lean and keep your balance; DONT fight the bike, or let it 'chugg' round turns; use revs, use throttle, use lean. Its a motorbike, it needs a bit of speed to stop it falling over, don't be afraid of using some, or letting it lean.

Remember there is slow, and there's stopped. And its slow speed maneuvers NOT stopped maneuvers! Possible to trickle a 125 along at walking pace without slipping the clutch; possible to trickle a big bike along almost that slow, without using the clutch quite often; and I can ride my old 750 which is not low geared for trials or off road or hauling its over-weight arse along, down to a brisk walking pace, clutch out, maybe 5-6mph, so even on a bigger bike there shouldn't be too much need to slip'n'drag... except to show an examiner, on test... you can! And CBT aint a test, remember....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:50 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
because I am confident that you too may be a gibbering excuse seeking, conspiracy wreck

QFT. No need to qualify it.

It's fine to do low speed stuff using throttle + clutch even on a 125. You can also do it using throttle + rear brake.

It comes down to what you're being taught, and once you're through the CBT, what you personally prefer.

Me, I favour the clutch. If you go full sperg and dump the clutch in the middle of a slalom or turn, the bike will stand up and go straight. If you press the rear brake too hard, it will come to a stop and fall over. Neither is ideal, but I slightly prefer the hazards of the former to the latter.

You may choose differently. It's all good - Allah loves wondrous variety.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:57 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: appreciate the advice Reply with quote

appreciate the advice, gives me another approach to play with and with less variables, more chance to get comfortable.

Next time around I will still be doing the whole day and I did get comfortable with a few things so I take the morning as a chance to experiment a bit. I suspect last time the approach was a little bit focused on what the DAS guy was going to need but the instructor did give the impression that the end result was the main thing.

That fits better to my mindset for learning things, focus on learning to ride a 125cc and then worry about what I will need to pass a full licence a bit later on.

Coming here has been most worthwhile. Changed my mind about a few things and put stuff in perspective, looking forward to round 2.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:58 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: appreciate the advice Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
That fits better to my mindset for learning things, focus on learning to ride a 125cc and then worry about what I will need to pass a full licence a bit later on.

Two different things in there you have already recognised;
1/ Learning to ride a motorbike
2/ Learning how to pass a motorbike test
Two are not synonomouse, and ironically you do more learning to ride a motorbike after passing tests than you ever do before.

Adage I oft offer is that time on a tiddler is rarely wasted; 125's are fantastic training tools; they aren't big they aren't heavy they aren't particularly intimidating... BUT the important bit is that they are also NOT at ALL forgiving....

Big bikes are peculiarly forgiving and probably a lot easier to ride; They have a lot more power, they are usually a lot more flexible on that power; you can be in the wrong gear and they have the 'extra' either revs or grunt to still work and not stall or fall over; the extra weight, similarly helps them stay upright.

I said that bikes need speed to hold them up; that's a bit of a simplification; they are A-Stable vehicles, its actually speed and mass that gives them momentum, which is what holds them upright. More mass you have, more momentum for any speed; so you don't have to do so much balancing to keep them on the straight and narrow... a big bike can be like a mac-truck compared to a lightweight 125, making them even more easy to ride; the extra weight means they are a lot slower to wobble, the mass damps things an awful lot, which means they can very easily flatter a less finessed rider.

Best example of this, is starting from a stand-still. On a 125Kg 125, you have maybe 10bhp, at 10K revs; you need to get the revs up to something probably over 3ooo to get it to launch cleanly without stalling, and feed the power in smoothly on the clutch as you do; you have to get your feet up on the pegs as soon as you are moving, and almost as soon as they are there, you are probably running out of revs and need to make a change to 2nd, before 20mph whilst you are still trying to get the bike to steer and not wobble, and probably still have your legs flapping around as you hesitate wondering if you will need to put a boot down to stop bike toppling over, and are flapping feet to find the shift l;ever to make that change to 2nd if you dont... its 'messy'..... BUT if you can launch a tiddler smoothly, you can launch most things smoothly..... On a big bike? You have all that extra power on tap, you are a lot less likely to stall the thing for starters, and it will probably run to 30-40mph before it runs out of revs and you need make that up-shift; so you have a lot more time, to get launch wobbles in check, before you need unsettle it moving boots about... and with likely twice the mass in the bike... it will have twioce the momentum, twice the stability, it will wobble half as much half as fast, you have a much easier time getting on top of them to launch smoothly.....

As said, learn to launch a tiddler smoothly you can probably launch almost anything smoothly.... the time to get that finesse is not wasted.... learn on a big bike? Well, it will flatter a less confident or less finessed rider, and it wont beg them to even try and get that confidence and finesse, because they think they are doing 'OK'..

And that's the danger of DAS, because they can instill a lot of confidence very quickly, and big-bikes can become VERY 'unforgiving' very quickly, if you get cocky with them!

Accidents Happen when Confidence and Confidence are unequally balanced!

So, DAS and a big bike, can easily lead you to believe that riding is easy; you got the licence; you have a powerful bike, and oooh! This seems good! And you dont even know you are being a bit daft until you crash!

Same applies to 125's... and perhaps some small warning you may ponder with your lad... CBT is, I say again NOT a test, its the very first lesson, not a licence.

Very easy to take CBT and think that thats the be-all-and-end all you need know; and ride a 125, getting ever more confidence, and NOT getting any more competance..... just frustrated... because it doesn't have any excess of anything; it doesn't go very fast, the gears have to be worked, and you can very quickly learn just how many liberties you can take with one, and how hard you 'have' tpo thrash it to 'make progress'... oh, woops... yes, maybe not THAT many liberties.... Bludy Ell! That hurt!.. yeah... the tarmacks no more forgiving, kurb-stones no softer, and myiopic road hogs no softer or less likely to SMIDSY any-one because the bikes 'only ikle'... it hurts much the same falling off a 125 as it does a big bike... trust me!

If you or lad want to be on two wheels.... get a licence, earn your road room... start learning after you have the ticket to ride.....

Time on a riddler is rarely wasted.... but you don't need waste time on L-Plates; even going it alone self booking tests to get a licence DIY on a 125, which would be for an A1 '125 only' licence, you can probably get as much as you need to pass tests in a month or two... and if lad has motivation to two-wheel, has enthusiasm to be a biker... why not?

Licence wont make him a better rider, but the diligence to learn and learn the right stuff to pass tests, will... and if he's a provisional licence holder, passing tests gets the clock started and counting down in his favour on the 2-year New-Driver probation, rather than haviung CBT cert validity ebbing away against him; gets to take off the bludy Looser-plates, and advertise his nievity, and well, might not let him ride bigger bikes... but would let him carry pillions if he wanted... and I'm sure he does, or probably will.. kids will be kids.... at least he wont get points for it if he has a licence, and points that will get that licence taken off him in a hurry! Also means he can, again if he wants to, or cant follow street-signs, legally use motorways.. which are despite the fright, actually some of the safest roads we have.. more frustration, siting in the slow lane, and big scares trying the middle lane and risking an Audi enema... but do-able, and not having L's means you can. Big bonus though is at 19, when with the NDA probation gone, you can rock up for tests for A2 45bhp licence.. and well, same tests as done on a 125... aught be a breeze; just doing over on bigger heavier bike with more power; and training shouldn't be so expensive or onerouse either, 'cos its just getting the feel for the bigger bike, not learning from scratch, and trying to get out of bad habbits.. tests first time round should have kicked most of them in to touch... and second time round? Showing a full bike licence to the chap that's going to test you? Should help create favorable feeling before you start.

All good stuff, all worth the doing.

IF you intend doing DAS..... then different situation... and remember, MOST of the learning comes AFTER you get the licence... pass tests for Ride-What-You-Like 'A' licence... you can ride what you like! IF you want a 125, thats allowed too! I have a RWYL 'A' I still pig about with a 125! Its great fun, NOT having the 'epare' to make it easy, and a lot of fun having to rag the heck of the thing just to do the speed limit down a country road, rather than the stomp to break them at will, anywhere! You can still go get a 125 and use it as a training tool, if you want, and its not wasted time on a tiddler, they can make you do a lot to up your game and acquire the finesse and discipline bigger bikes don't encourage.

B-U-T the significant bit is that you wont have just done your first lesson to get the 'learner permit', and be trying to learn by the school of hard knocks... falling off.... trying to work out why.... more, trying not to do it again! Them knocks start to come hard, and expensive when you are past 40, trust me! A DAS course then CAN be a good way to have lessons, and be taught how to do the right stuff, right from the start, and not have to try and work it out from scratch.... whilst tending road rash!

From a standing start, you get an instructor wispering words of wisdom in your ear through a radio, so you dont so easily do the wrong things, and you learn the right ones....

heed warning about competance and confidence though, that guiding light in your ear can give a LOT of false confidence... and many out on thier own after tests, can suddenly either be cock-ahoots that they have the licence they MUST know it all... and go bang... or they suddenly feel bereft... they dont have that voice in thier head telling them what to do all the while... and suddenly wonder how they got a licence, and cant remember a thing, and oh, dear, they go bang too....

That noted; though, you have done the lessons, hopefully got as much learning as you may along the way to getting the licence, and aren't 'so' out on a limb as a CBT'er who has had scant minimum of learning and doesn't know any better what they should do....

And you can go start the after licence learning, and gain experience and put the l;earning into practice, and start making some sense of it.

I really dont like DAS, I honestly dont. The scheme should never have been invented let alone put into law, IME. If bigger bikes beg more training and more qualification than little ones... then there should be more training and higher qualifications for them... fact that we have the same tests still, and licences dont beg any more training, suggests that they don't.. or the sceme doesn't do what they say, and it makes no sense. Whilst the arbitery age limits for the different licences are, to my mind ridiculous, worse, completely perverse!

If an 18 year old is considered mature enough to take tests to drive a 45tonne truck..... why the feck are they NOT considered mature enough to ride something bigger than a 125? Its ridiculous. Whist DAS encourages folk over 25, and more often over 30 or 40, to jump straight onto big bikes, now most often over 600cc and 100bhp.. which is most likely to be a second and leisure vehicle, not their sole means of transport and one and only way to work.... DAS newbies are more likely to treat a big bike, as the 'toy' they buy it as, and live out teen-dream fantasies riding like a lunatic, in the comfort that if they trash the bike, well, they probably have BUPA and the Mondeo to get to work in after! Youngster under 25, bike, ANY bike, is likely their most expensive asset, and sole means of transport; they may be a tit on it still, but risk of bending it, and cost of mending it, will likely temper enthusiasm a little! One way or another! Meanwhile, youngster riding bike as every-day sole transport is likely to rack up all weather, year round miles and experience, that a MLC DAS starter with a bike in the garage like a set of golf clubs, for Sunny Sundays, just wont acquire.

BUT, a little bit back on topic.... Learning to ride a bike, learning to pass tests, and learning to ride a bike AFTER tests......

IF a DAS course is on the cards anyway... you may as well cut to the chase, get that learning as soon as you can, and be able to start putting it into practice as you do your early miles, rather than go it alone on L's making it up as you go along and only learning by falling off... if you learn from it.

Heed warnings about confidence vs competance and how tiddlers, and they needn't be 125, plenty of bigger-tiddlers out there that have similar qualities as far as being light and begging a certain amount of finesse to make them work well, rather than hyper-bikes with an excess of everything bolstering your ego until they bruise your bonce! And plenty of more sensible bigger bikes that, if a Sunday rider and occasional commuter, and are a bit sensible wont egg you on to go find trouble, you can ride to your competence and confidence level, and will make it not too demanding, as you do your early miles and post licence learning.

For Dad and Lad? Why not? You can come home and compare notes with the boy, and race him to his A1 tests, and get him ahead of the game too.

But, potted mantra, is that LESSONS IS FOR LIFE, NOT JUST LICENCE!

Old adage of racing; want a faster bike? Fit a better rider! Better rider, goes faster, crashes less, wears out less tyres, needs less maintenance! Its all win, and lessons are the short cut to becoming a better rider, learning how to do the right stuff, right from the start, rather than trying to figure out what went wrong after you fall off.

And if them lessons are on the schedule anyway? Why wait to get the benefit of them?

Go get the lessons, go get the learning; go get the licence, and start your post licence learning, whilst you are still enthusiastic about it.. and maybe pass on the know-how to lad along the way, and encourage him to go take tests, if not lessons, ASAP too.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:43 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, if you don't like DAS, stop calling the progressive licence out too. DAS means nothing now. It's an over 25's full motorcycle entitlement. I'm sure somewhere you've splurged about how a 17 year old is able to drive a Ferrari if they can afford insurance once they've done their test. We all know it's an inappropriate system, but, it's better than giving 17 year olds the ability to ride a screaming rd250 without any clue what to do.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:18 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Mike, if you don't like DAS, stop calling the progressive licence out too. DAS means nothing now. It's an over 25's full motorcycle entitlement.

Why? - I dont agree with either, and they are interlinked.

Direct Access when conceived was a bit of appeasement politics, that's a cornerstone of the (lol) progressive licence system, which frankly isn't progressive.

As introduced, DAS allowed over 21's to test on a big-bike to get the exact same RWYL 'A' entitlement as testing on a 125 did. They didn't make the tests any harder or any different; so to give it a purpose they had to put the 2-year 33bhp restriction on a licence obtained testing on a 125!

Third-Directive system, the 'Progressive-Tests'... takes that a step further; a 125 only licence, a 45bhp middle weight A2 licence, and a RWYL unrestricted 'A'....

But, there's little incentive to take A1 tests before taking any other, as long as un-supervised L-Plating is permitted. There's no compunction to take A1 tests before you can do A2 or pass A2 before taking A tests, whilst either is allowed via 'Direct-Access' gained entirely by number of birthdays!

And the tests, still remain exactly the same!!!!

Whether testing on a 200mph Hyabusa for a RWYL'A' or testing on a CG125 for a 125'only' A1, or even a bloomin MOPED for a chuffing AM catagory they give away free for passing a car test!!!

It is frankly a camel.

There simply isn't any sort of 'progression' between a Learner and a RWYL 'A' holder, enshrined by the system, just a lot of red-tape and hurdles to make it more difficult for younger riders to ride anything and discourage them from even trying.

Kentol750 wrote:
We all know it's an inappropriate system, but, it's better than giving 17 year olds the ability to ride a screaming rd250 without any clue what to do.

Interesting you bring that one up... curiousely it seems to be raised whenever any-one critasises test systems.. and has been for almost forty years!

The 250 L-Plate laws were only introduced in 1961....they existed barely twenty years, and we have had the 125-Learner laws almost twice that long! Yet folk still harp back to the 250 learner laws, and rehash old arguments about 'why' something different was needed, 'then'.

Curiousely I never even mentioned them, let alone endorsed them, and the 125 Licence-Laws had been in force half a decade before I was old enough to ride one.... but still, since you have gone there;

For the most part of the entire 250-Learner era, the defacto learner-bike wasn't a screaming stroker twin, it was a BSA Bantum, or C15, Triumph Tiger Cub, or a Lambretta..... which is worth noting; before the 1973 moped laws that took 250's away from 16 year olds, less than a decade before the 125 learner-laws, around 7 out of 10 learner-legals had actually been scooters NOT motorbikes!

In 1980, two years before the 250 Learner-Laws were superseded, in the UK, Honda sold over half of all motorcycles, of all capacities registered for the road; And they sold three Honda 250 Super-Dreams for every five 'other' 250's registered!

Given the number of other Honda 250's; like the CB250RS single, the XL250 dirt bike; that doesn't leave an awful lot of sales for other maker's 250's, that included things like Kawasaki Z250 and Suzuki GSX250 Super-Dream rival 4-stroke twins, before the two-stroke single dirt bikes, like the Suzuki TS250 or Yamaha DT250, let alone the popular MZ250 commuter, for the 'Hi-po' 250 twins like the Suzuki X7 or Yamaha RD!!!

Few bought hot-snot 250-strokers and the few that did get on the road, rarely put out much more power than an unrestricted Honda NSR125, about 25bhp! The RD-LC's that may have been ridden on L's for just the last 18 months of the era, only just broke the 30bhp barrier and nudged the magic ton on top speed.... about as quick as an Aprillia RS or Cagiva Mito.

And the few that did have two-stroke twins? (Or anything else!) It was a school of very hard-knocks! If Have-a-Drama tyres didn't encourage them to get good, get a car or give up, pretty quick, notions about porting, expansion chambers and melted pistons did a pretty good job of kerbing enthusiasm some!

The main issue, was the perpetual L-Plater; never having any training, never taking a test, and using a bike up to 250cc every day, often as sole means of transport.

And that 'problem' is still with us!

When I applied for my provisional, there was still a 1-year mandatory ban if you didn't pass tests inside 2-years... which was a bit draconian, and perverse. I actually dodged that ban taking my car tests... how that helped I dont know! But was an attempt to tackle the cult of the perpetual learner... which CBT then revoked!

CBT, to 'validate' provisional entitlement, is often the most vocally acclaimed 'success story' in fifty years of motorcycle licence law! Making 'some' training mandatory, and raising the bar a bit from merely knowing what block capitols were and being able to find a black biro.... it DID actually see a reduction in accidents.... How many of them were saved by any know-how imparted on a CBT, compared to how many just didn't get a DL196 and gave up before they began, is hard to say.. but rather ironic that it turned around the regs to discourage perpetual L-Platers, letting folk 'repeat' the training thay had already done, time after time, and ride indefinitely on L's once more!

Kentol750 wrote:
I'm sure somewhere you've splurged about how a 17 year old is able to drive a Ferrari if they can afford insurance once they've done their test. We all know it's an inappropriate system, but...

Possibly... but context is all. Insurance is the last arbiter, and there is the half-million-pound 'bond' you can place with the exchequer to be exempt from any motor-vehicle insurance, should a 17 year old be rich enough...but the issue remains, that a 17 year old only has to take tests to get a car licence, to be entitled to drive pretty much any car, and quite a lot of goods vehicles; and they only have to be 18 to take the trailer tests to be allowed to drive the heaviest 45ton artics.

It is bizzare that they have actually reduced the age limit for taking an HGV test, whilst they have riased the age limit to take a motorcycle one....

It is utterly punative against younger drivers of private vehicles; when there is so little corrolation between age and maturity or responsibility.

What does exist is the corrolation between miles and years 'experience' and the more of that a rider has the less likely they are to crash; and the system so synically encourages typically older, more affluent 'liesure riders' who most often can afford the higher performance motorcycle, as a second vehicle, 'just for fun' whilst so strategically discourages younger riders, much more likely to ride every day as main or sole means of transport, who are much more likely to have or gain that larger riding experience.

The system, as we have it, lets a 17 year old ride unsupervised, on the road, on L's without taking tests, on CBT, as any other 'Perpetual-L-Plater'.

It does NOT give a rider much if any incentive to take tests, or to progress. If they take A1 tests, they are still limited to the exact 125 they could ride before, and with the exact same power restrictions; all they get for it is the privilidge of dumping L's, carrying pillions, and using motorways, and maybe riding abroad.

It does not allow them to take the supposed higher licences of A2 or RWYL 'A'; to take those tests, they just have to get old!

If they are old enough, they may take A2 tests.... that let them have a 45bhp bike... which could be quite entertaining as well as useful.... but they effectively have to spend the same money and do the same course and tests, probably on the exact same bike, as some-one over 25 has to do to get a RWYL 'A'.

This is not staged or progressive! This is JUST making it harder for the younger rider, and pandering to the impatient.

IF it was a staged licence, if it was progressive; ANY-ONE who wanted a RWYL'A' Licence would have to work through the ranks, first taking tests for A1, then tests for A2 then those for RWYL'A'.

And there would be a distinct difference in the levels of training and or testing that a candidate had to complete at each stage... NOT re-do the same damn tests, likely on the same dang bike, when they are old enough!

It is not an 'imperfect' system, is an abomination!!

It IS strategically contrived to make it as difficult as possible, as punitive as it can be, to discourage younger riders, whilst it actively encourages older more affluent riders, NOT to be better riders, not to be safer riders... but spend money!!!

And what have we had in consequence? the rise of Byke-Laff sub-culture, taking it off the books, doing it all completely illegally, 'cos why bother? But hey! We can now discount those folk from the stats, because they aren't bikers... they are 'criminals'.... and plod can start counting up credits instead of demerits every time one crashes! And create more zombie debt when they don't pay the fines Rolling Eyes

Unsupervised L-Plating... IF a CBT is considered 'sufficient' qualification to take a bike out on the road unsupervised... then they should dole out A1 pass certs for doing it, not DL196's.

If riding an A2 bike is considered more onerous, and more demanding than an A1 bike, then the tests should be as well; NOT the same bludy tests!

If riding any unrestricted bike, is similarly considered more onerous and demanding than riding an A2, again, the tests should be too; NOT the same dang tests, on the same dang bike!

If the system were to be progressive, then ANY-ONE should be able to work thier way through the tests to the level they want, from day one. Whether 17 or 70; if they have the dedicaion and discipline, and perseverance to PROVE they can pass those tests.. why the heck should they be penalized just because they haven't had as many birthdays? and why should Any one be rewarded or given a fast track to that same level, 'just' because they have had more birthdays; they should have to do exactly the same to get the same licence.

Call it 'Eligibility for over 25's" or call it DAS or call it Collin! Call it the 'progressive licence'... it matters not a jot, call it Phil! Its the same thing, and just as inaptly named, and just as errant in its contrivance!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the part 1 and part 2 test system they had in the 80's-90's. I missed out doing it myself as I'd got into messing with cars too much until 21, so DAS made logical sense for me.

But the notion of giving an L-plater a two year time limit to stop dicking about and pass their tests, or being told to fuck off back on the bus for a year was a good one. It should have stopped the never never land L-platers, but as with everything else, come up with a system that works and you can guarantee someone will come along and mess with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:35 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to note, that the 2-years to test idea, wasn't actually all that new in '82.

They had tried to tackle perpetual L-Platers about the same time they introduced the original 250-Learner-Laws in 1961... They gave the provisional licence a three year validity.... then refused to re-issue a provisional after just seven renewals were issued!

Oooh! Only twenty one years then! And I believe you could still dodge the refusal to renew if you passed a car test... bit bizarre, but still.

The law is an Ass.... which is the follow on topic, because I have been consulting with the resident equestrian expert and google, and we cant find an answer as to whether or not an Ass is merely a breed of Donkey, or whether its like a mule, and a cross between a horse and a donkey, but with opposite parents!

As to perpetual L-Plating, we missed a trick or three when the 3DL laws were introduced, and retained unsupervised L-Plating in contravention of Euro-borrox, when every other distraction found a way to hand out A1 licences with conflate packets!!

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:45 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Passed Reply with quote

Just to finish the story, I redid the CBT a couple of weeks later, and had a couple of hours practice prior to that at a different training centre.

Everything bedded in, the second CBT day was slightly intense but fun and got through with no problems. I think you have factor in that (or rather I did).

1. A 125cc is not just a push-bike with a boost which is how I imagined it.

2. Some people particularly if older and set in their ways will take a little longer to step onto the learning curve.

On my second CBT there was me, another guy in his 50s taking a second day (with a similar story to me) and a 20 year old. We all got through, I think I had the most relaxed day (the little bit of extra practice). The young guy picked it all up but was a pretty intense day for him (he was a keen a mountain biker and had to unlearn a few braking habits amongst other things). We all finished that day though:)

My second-hand Honda CB125F arrived yesterday, loving it. It is noticeably easier to ride than some of the training bikes, however someone pointed out that training centers with pristine bikes can be a bit precious about them, so maybe a slightly battered, and somewhat elderly CBT bike is better if they are not stressing you about potential knocks etc.

The plan is to train on the CB125f for a few months and then move on through the rest of the hurdles to a full licence.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:09 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Chris. Your CBT experience sounds similar to mine. I thought it would be really easy, but there was a lot to take in.

When I passed I got a CB125F for a few months. There were still skills to learn, but it was a lot of fun!

Have fun!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:15 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Thumbs Up

What vintage of CBF? Has it got any 'flux'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:20 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johanna, I definitely have the bug now, managed 55miles yesterday, would have been more but had other things I had to do.

I think it helps for people to hear that CBT can be big deal initially for some, definitely helped me when I came here (I thought I might be special snowflake), there is a superficial "CBT is easy" vibe around in general. I was mentally knocked on my ass first time around.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2