1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
not sure
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 51

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Can England be football World Cup champion 2018 Reply with quote

Can England be football World Cup champion 2018?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling we will replay Belgium and not win.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Can England be football World Cup champion 2018 Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Can England be football World Cup champion 2018?

They're still in it, so if course they can. Germany, Portugal, Argentina and the like can't.

One game at a time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just two more games.
I know they've done well so far but I'd just like to see a little more of Rashford.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[awaits a post saying 'I don't watch football and I don't care who wins but I think it's important for you who do to know this'.] Razz

Belgium are ranked 3rd and France 7th. 8 out of the top 10 ranked teams are already home, so yes if the team carry on improving, hold their bottle and reduce their errors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
[awaits a post saying 'I don't watch football and I don't care who wins ...]

Obliges.

Do we get a day off if we do?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
[awaits a post saying 'I don't watch football and I don't care who wins ...]

Obliges.

Do we get a day off if we do?

No, you grumpy old git! Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:26 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

YFPOS

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be quite pleased if England won.
Then they could stop harping on about 1968 or whenever it last was Rolling Eyes

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can do it, this year will be the year. Most of the big guns are out, and a few didn't even qualify.

Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so. It will help us to outflank Theresa the appeaser

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I'd be quite pleased if England won.
Then they could stop harping on about 1968 or whenever it last was Rolling Eyes

'68 was a good year. Wink

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'68 wasn't as good as '67. Fact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
'68 wasn't as good as '67. Fact.

Could it run Crysis?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You are old.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:43 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch football and I don't care who wins but I think it's important for you who do to know this.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually watched it, mostly because I had nothing better to do. Haven't watched a football match since I was a kid.
I must admit, I did find myself kind of egging England on, but the heights of emotion reached by football fans generally does seem a bit strange to me, and the players themselves still seem to me to be a bunch of over-acting pansies whenever they get the slightest knock.
Of course, it would be nice to see England go all the way, but can't say I'm that bothered.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't watched a single match until the one that was on yesterday. I'm now in part-time footy fan mode.

In China pretty much every urban residential area is a set of high-rise apartments in a sort of gated community with guards ("guards") at the gate. Guard at the the gate this morning told me England won't win because they aren't good enough. Reckons Russia will win. I took pleasure in telling him Russia went out last night.

Also on the topic of part-time footy fans. China has millions of them. And as an extra bonus, loads of folk got their gambling heads on and placed bets on the big popular teams winning. There are tons of viral videos of folk literally smashing their giant expensive TVs and other stuff at home in rage, after the failure of supposedly dead-certain teams like Germany and Brazil.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does bother me a little bit, is all this talk of how great it is that we've got a chance because all the top-rated teams are out. Well, no, wouldn't it be better if we had a team that could win because it was the very best? Confused

What doesn't bother me, is voting in this silly little poll Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What does bother me a little bit, is all this talk of how great it is that we've got a chance because all the top-rated teams are out. Well, no, wouldn't it be better if we had a team that could win because it was the very best? Confused

Luck of the draw. You can only beat what's put in front of you.

Even the very best teams can lose - look at how Wigan did Man City over in the FA Cup; it happens from time to time. It doesn't mean that Wigan weren't deserving winners on the day. In the same way, if England do win it, they'll have deserved it every bit as much as if they'd played Spain, Brazil and Germany along the way.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Luck of the draw. You can only beat what's put in front of you.

Even the very best teams can lose - look at how Wigan did Man City over in the FA Cup; it happens from time to time. It doesn't mean that Wigan weren't deserving winners on the day. In the same way, if England do win it, they'll have deserved it every bit as much as if they'd played Spain, Brazil and Germany along the way.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Of course luck will play its part, but surely at the top level, you shouldn't have to rely on it? I mean, I'm no expert, but I don't think we beat Sweden because of luck. I think England played well, created their own chances through work and skill. After all, if sport was all about luck, why train hard?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What doesn't bother me, is voting in this silly little poll Razz

Ratings don't mean much. It's a team made up of people with their own skills and abilities and how they all interact together. You can't easily sum that up in a ranking.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Ratings don't mean much. It's a team made up of people with their own skills and abilities and how they all interact together. You can't easily sum that up in a ranking.

But surely you know when you are watching sports men and women who are good at what they do? Teams like Brazil and Germany aren't highly rated because they have more luck than others?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

P = M x I x T x C

Did you win the match
How important was the match
How strong was the opposition
Which confederation does the opposition play in.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3