BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:24 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. There are a few proper mong out there who will tailgate through idiotic aggression (white van, Audi, Royal Mail) or blithe ignorance (tarts).

But if you're being constantly pressured, to the extent that you start a thread to bemoan it, perhaps you're the odd road user out.

Ditch the L's, ride near the lane divider, give fewer figs. You're very unlikely to be rammed from behind, so why worry about it?

Konic
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:14 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
So you exceed the speed limits sometimes but you hold those in contempt for doing that?
F**king grow up and stop whinging. Get a 'Polite' vest and a head cam and start a blog where you can out all these nasty people who you think are making your life bad. Did you honestly join this forum today to put this bollocks on it?
Sell the bike, grow a hipster beard and F.R.O.
My other post WAS elegantly put, this one may be less so.

OGR.

Why are you so angry? I posted my issue to see if anyone else had the same problems and how they got over it. It was more for a talk than to point the finger and blame others. I know the issue lies with me, it's about how to overcome it.

You can call me a little flower and now the above, but remember no one's born being able to do something, it's learnt, it's a skill. The whole "grow a pair" or hard man / no fucks given attitude doesn't mean anything to me. If my post is annoying you, then please refrain from coming here and reading it?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:10 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got your tests booked yet?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:18 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going against the L plate thing...

I thought cars drove poorly around me because I had L plates.
Then because I was on a bike.
Then they did the same when I was in a tank of a £200 passat estate.
And in a old post office van.
And in a 20 year old 7.5t lorry.

Still had people pulling out infront of me etc in the lorry - just make them jump more when using the loud airhorn and they realise they're definitely going to come off worse, despite being an expensive 4x4 Smile.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Going against the L plate thing...

I thought cars drove poorly around me because I had L plates.
Then because I was on a bike.
Then they did the same when I was in a tank of a £200 passat estate.
And in a old post office van.
And in a 20 year old 7.5t lorry.

Still had people pulling out infront of me etc in the lorry - just make them jump more when using the loud airhorn and they realise they're definitely going to come off worse, despite being an expensive 4x4 Smile.

I think each of those is about degree of driving badly around you. Of course, some people are just bad drivers full stop, and would pull out in front of a Challenger tank.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:25 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the problem is you.

We have all been tailgated from time to time, but if it's happening constantly then you're either dawdling excessively and pissing everyone off, or imagining they are closer than they are.

The liklihood is you're sitting doing "40mph" which is actually on average an indicated 38 because you're safe/cautious/.... and is in fact about 34 because bike speedos are generally awful, especially on budget bikes, which every 125 is.

The solution is gaining some confidence and stopping worrying so much, which means more training.

Konic
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:28 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Got your tests booked yet?

I've got my theory tests booked in two weeks, once i've passed that I'll be booking my DAS.

My plan was to gain abit of experience and confidence with a 125 after I got my CBT, do my theory then go for DAS, rather than going straight into the DAS with no experience apart from the CBT itself. (I know you need CBT and theory before you can do DAS)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konic wrote:

My plan was to gain abit of experience and confidence with a 125 after I got my CBT

The only confidence you need to gain on a 125 is that you can physically ride a powered two-wheeler without falling off.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Konic
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:32 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
IMHO the problem is you.

We have all been tailgated from time to time, but if it's happening constantly then you're either dawdling excessively and pissing everyone off, or imagining they are closer than they are.

The liklihood is you're sitting doing "40mph" which is actually on average an indicated 38 because you're safe/cautious/.... and is in fact about 34 because bike speedos are generally awful, especially on budget bikes, which every 125 is.

The solution is gaining some confidence and stopping worrying so much, which means more training.

Thank you, this is consctructive advice. I know the problem is me, which is why im asking if anyone else has faced this issue and what they did about it.

I didn't know my speedo reading 40MPH is not actually 40. What makes you say the reading is actually 34MPH instead?

Yes, i'm sure the DAS trainning will increase my confidence, i'm looking forward to doing it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He covered that in his full response.

Bike Speedos are shit.

My Speedo saying 70 is actually 65 mph. So if I tootle around 67/68 (to be safe) my real world speed is more like 63/64.

If I'm doing 64moh on a 70mph road I would fully expect people up my arse.

Borrow a sat nav if you want to see how shit your particular bike Speedo is. Compare your Speedo to the speed shown on it. Laughs will be had.

In short, stop worrying about going a few mph over the limit - and you'll find the idiots behind you are further behind you and no longer an issue.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Enfield's speedo might as well be marked "Stop" and "Progress". The numbers on it bear little relation to reality.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
My Enfield's speedo might as well be marked "Stop" and "Progress". The numbers on it bear little relation to reality.

Iused to have an astra that was like that...

When travelling at 30, it would wobble between 15-45 🤦‍♂️

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: riding Reply with quote

Get at test booked, and do a local bike safe course or similar which in a perfect world is a perfect course to do, but, it didn't teach me how to deal with morons right up my arse, on a bike or even in a car !

Yesterday some bimboh in a silver ford fiesta, on her phone and right up my cars arse!! Also some twat male overtaking in a totally dangerous fashion, cutting me up cause he final saw the approaching car??

You are correct in assuming that all vehicles are trying to kill you, so always have an escape route planned, like the other half of your side of the carriage way, to the left. ie ride closer to the centre line, do not ride in the gutter where all the bits of car/lorry and gravel are.

Ride more defensively, which is what the bike safe course will ecourage you to do, but you have to go with the flow, rather than being a slow coach causing stress to other drivers around you.

Maybe a small sign on the back saying candid camera or similar. Video footage is great. local police will act on it.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:37 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

just make sure you don't run into ronnie pickering.

where are you riding? I rode for 2 years on Ls in London and never had any issues like this, and ride the same way on my 600 now, only difference is im louder so cars make an effort to move. I guess I don't see many if any A-roads so there isnt an opportunity to be tailgated. as other have said I would say it is the L-plates plus probably riding too slow, generally 35 in a 30 is what most in a car do and 45ish in a 40

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
probably riding too slow, generally 35 in a 30 is what most in a car do and 45ish in a 40

Generally agree but for me I would only "appease" the cars around me in 40s and over.

30s are for doing 30 or less imo.

Anyone tailgating me in a 30 when I'm doing 30 has to wait while I let 6million cars out at every minor junction I get to, then watch as I filter passed them all - leaving them far worse off than if they had just given a bit of space 👍

Edit : they get a warning first...

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:43 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konic wrote:
B5234FT wrote:
IMHO the problem is you.

Thank you, this is consctructive advice. I know the problem is me, which is why im asking if anyone else has faced this issue and what they did about it.

I didn't know my speedo reading 40MPH is not actually 40. What makes you say the reading is actually 34MPH instead?

Yes, i'm sure the DAS trainning will increase my confidence, i'm looking forward to doing it.

I stopped fannying about on a 125 and sat my test and bought something with some power.

The rules say that no vehicle should have a speedo which under-reads, but they can over read by up to 10%. Decent ones will be out by very little, but still on the correct side. Budget stuff, it's clearly better to aim for 5% under, +/- 5%.

But practically what this means is that you will (in your head) aim for 40, but being cautious, you'll manage to keep it to indicating 36-40 say, because you dont want to break the limit. To someone following you in a BMW, that's 32-36 on their speedo and they are now annoyed and want past because realistically, the rest of the country knows you wont get a ticket unless you're 10% over the limit normally so you're bimbling along at up to 12mph less than they want to do, even if they're driving at the normal pace of traffic.

I'll caveat this to say that you will ALWAYS get the odd bellend driving like a lunatic, so don't assume you're always the issue, but when it appears to be the majority of road users, it's more likely your riding is annoying than that they are all lunatics.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:35 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konic wrote:
Why are you so angry?

Yer's... THIS would seem to be at the nub of the matter.

You started thread asking how to deal with YOUR road-rage 'angry' impulses to other road users.... then when you don't get cotton-wool, poor snowflake replies... you start raging at the respondents?!?!?!?!?

There does seem to be some connection in here!!!!!

Speedo and speedo accuracy.... yes, bike speedo's don't tend to be all that wonderful, but them in cars is rarely much if any better either... but obsessing over the speedo is probably as big an issue in this as anything.... watch the effin road!

Next; More Speed is never Safer.... going against the grain, but... if some-one isn't happy at how fast you are going, trying to appease them and go a bit quicker is NOT the smart move.

For starters, is an utter abdication of your control, doing NOT what you think best, but what.. and this is probably the most pertinent bit... YOU THINK the other road user wants you to...

..they probably don't... as said, you have a different perspective on a bike to in a car; and car drivers tend to follow too close any-how, to anything... speed up, and they will likely still follow just as close.... you will still be just as intimidated by them... only now you will be going faster!

STOP! That's how you start getting 'safe'. No move, no crash, its pretty simple.

Pull over, let the 'scary driver' behind go passed, no more problem... except if you do it for every-one you will be sat at the side of the road going no-where till bed-time...

Back to you and your confidence problem.

Other road users are NOT there to watch your arse for you. That's your job. Number one rule, remember it.

Your comments and counter comments about obeying speed limits... go re-read them!!!!!

On the one hand, you are annoyed that 'other' road users dont seem to be as diligent at obeying speed limits, the rules of the road, as you would like them.... and imply that you obey them to the letter.... then deny that you are so pedantic and dont 'always' follow them?!?!?

Yeah.... little bit of contradiction there..... do you or dont you?
and either bludy way, why do you expect other, qualified drivers to, AND presume on that diligence to make you feel good about everything?

You know they dont... more, wont!!

What you are asking us for is some 'special switch' that will do to other road users what they do to you... and make them change the way they do stuff, so you don'#t have to!

You already got it.... its called an 'L-Plate'.... as has already been mentioned, though, it often engenders a perverse reaction to the one you hope for.....

And I will concur; L-Plates can do strange things to other road-users behaviour; Riding the 125' with L's attached, usually for Snowie before she got her licence, I have had much more adverse reactions from other drivers as when I have taken that exact same bike, or identical model of, without the L's on it; it 'can' act like a red-rag to a bull to a lot of drivers; and when I have stopped, been subjected to attempted lectures by more mature drivers, presuming I must be a 17 year old lunatic....

BUT! from experience of 30 years of being a qualified road user..... MOST drivers, are NOT homicidal lunatics out to get you. They really aren't.

They are just pretty typical dumm-drivers, driving with the same often low level of competence and diligence as any-one else... and MOST of them.. are actually pretty nice, ordinary people!!!

Commented before, in "Get-Off: Get-Safe: Start Over", Lad gets into a phased panic stalling at a T-Junction, the natural panic reaction to try and correct the mistake, get the bike started and get going, will tend to engender negative "What's that idiot Doing?!?" reactions from other drivers; STOP, get OFF, will usually engender the exact opposite reaction from the exact same other drivers! And instead of honking horns or yelling abuse through the window; its incredible how many of them will get out of their cars, and offer HELP! Asking of the rider is 'OK' or offering to push the bike to the side of the road! Astounding... the SAME other road user.. but instead of an angry reaction, an utterly friendly one....

Worth noting that.... its NOT that they are inherently 'angry' or 'oppositional'.... they are normal people, and ACTUALLY more willing to be HELPFUL... if.. and this is the pertinant part, if YOU give them a chance, and DONT act the twit.....

Oh! Lets re-read this thread! HOW many folk have tried to offer 'helpful' advice.... hmmmm...... and how many of them have YOU railed against, getting your hackles up, because YOU think you are still mis-understood, or not given the panacea-prescription, or sympathy you think you deserve?

NOT a lot different really..... you get what you project...... there is NO magic button to make other drivers change the way they do stuff... you can only control what YOU have levers to control... on your bike, or in your head....

Get some self control... learn some toleration for other road-users as you expect THEM to tolerate you.... and learn to watch your OWN arse, and do what you are supposed to, before expecting any-one else to.

Stop looking to other people to fix this for you, start looking at yourself.

As to starting a thread you hope other folk might get some benefit from? Lol! You have been so egocentric in your specific problem, and entrenched in your own mind-set... yeah, it might 'help' some if they have that same attitude.... but THAT is the issue here, YOUR attitude... not the L-Plate, not the bike, not the lack of training (Though that wont help!), not 'other drivers'...

You 'say' you want advice.... well, you have got some.... rather than arguing with it, start considering it... and change your attitude to act on it, and find reason to consider it, rather than looking for cause to dismiss it. Turn your whole approach to the problem on its head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Konic
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:44 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike, I appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed response like that.

I want to add that I think a lot of assumptions have been made in some of the responses about me, and I also think a lot of assumptions have been made about my post.

I did not write the post to moan, whine, play the victim and rage at others, or anything else for that matter. I simply wanted to know if anyone else had or is facing the same issues I am, that's it. It does feel a little like everything I've said has been picked apart and over analysed, again, based on assumptions.

This image of a slow, low confidence, scared of every driver and speed perception of me has been painted by some of the other users who have replied on my post, and to be fair it is you, Teflon-Mike, who has provided the best reply yet with the most assumptions about me.

I don't want sympathy or "others to fix things" for me. Can a man not express something and want to talk to others? Maybe i didn't articulate my thoughts and the issue at hand very well?

I have taken on board the replies and advice which make sense, and are not based on guess work about me. I hope that clears things up, seems silly to even write this...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konic wrote:
Teflon-Mike, I appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed response like that.

You'll learn Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:26 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Konic wrote:

You'll learn Laughing

Not if Mike is teaching him.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:05 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read through the thread and looked at other responses because meh.

Are you a v-logger?

Seriously, my advice is to go and get some lessons/tuition? Go back to your instructors, stating your lack of confidence and ask for their advice on any further training they can offer, or for them to recommend someone who will provide this.

Failing that, sell your car, sell your bike and get a bus pass.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:20 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go faster and stop getting in everyone's way.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konic wrote:
a mutal respect thing when on the roads

You'll never be happy if you keep looking for it, because you'll be forever disappointed. Be respectful if you want, but treat any you get in return as a bonus, not as a given.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Konic wrote:
a mutal respect thing when on the roads

You'll never be happy if you keep looking for it, because you'll be forever disappointed. Be respectful if you want, but treat any you get in return as a bonus, not as a given.

Yep. When I'm out in the van and I move right over to let someone on two wheels past, I sometimes get a wave. That's nice. In other cases I say to myself "You (censored)".

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:15 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
In other cases I say to myself "You (censored)".

yfpos
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3