Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Plusgas question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Jul 2018    Post subject: Plusgas question. Reply with quote

I plan on replacing the exhaust header gaskets at some point so as a precaution I'll be applying Plusgas a couple of times for a day or two before I attempt removal.
It may be a silly question but if I ride the bike after applying Plusgas, will the heat affect the purpose I'm using for or not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlusGas! Didn't know it was still available. I would expect it to boil off fast if you heat up whatever it's on. "Blend of hydrocarbon distillates and mineral oil".

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:09 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it on when hot, but *after* your ride, before you put her away for the night. Give it time to actually penetrate.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Plusgas question. Reply with quote

recman wrote:
I plan on replacing the exhaust header gaskets at some point so as a precaution I'll be applying Plusgas a couple of times for a day or two before I attempt removal.
It may be a silly question but if I ride the bike after applying Plusgas, will the heat affect the purpose I'm using for or not?

If they look particularly nasty I'd be applying it for a couple of weeks rather than a couple of days!

This is worth a watch, if you've got a spare 10 minutes:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8dkGzJWtg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get at the nuts you could split them. If a splitter won't go on, a small sharp chisel *supporting the nut from the other side* with a heavy piece of metal. No need to completelt split the thing, driving whichever chisel in a little will generally do the job (so will just "flattening" the nut a little, but you need bigger hits).

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had good results with good old brake fluid. It definitely works.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
If you can get at the nuts you could split them. If a splitter won't go on, a small sharp chisel *supporting the nut from the other side* with a heavy piece of metal. No need to completelt split the thing, driving whichever chisel in a little will generally do the job (so will just "flattening" the nut a little, but you need bigger hits).

I've removed all sorts of nuts and bolts using a range of methods in all sorts of difficult situations as part of my job.
I've not had to use a release agent such as Plusgas on rusty materials though, which is why I asked the question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I've always had good results with good old brake fluid. It definitely works.

He's right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8dkGzJWtg

Brake fluid is almost as effective as bespoke penetrating fluids.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just spray it on there. On day 1, I would spend some time cleaning up the threads of each stud, and the nut itself with penetrating oil and a wire brush.

I would then probably go back over it again on the day of doing the job.

Might seem overkill, but the amount of time that rounded nuts have cost me in the past, it's definitely worth taking the time.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I've removed all sorts of nuts and bolts using a range of methods in all sorts of difficult situations as part of my job.
I've not had to use a release agent such as Plusgas on rusty materials though, which is why I asked the question.

Thank you for the extra information. I hope that the problem you have with your nuts is remedied soon. Good luck to you.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penetrating oil on both the nut and the stud where it goes into the head. In that way you have two chances, the nut comes off or the stud comes out rather than shears. Thumbs Up

I use plus gas but the liquid rather than the spray. Not that it should make any difference.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got rusty nuts?
You need Rusty-Nuts-Pal ®

An 'Under-sized' single hex socket will help prevent the corners of the nut failing.

Imperial sizes come between metric sizes.

7/16“ is 11mm.
1/2“ is around 12-13mm (12.7 millimetres).

Or you can bite the bullet and buy a welding torch.

https://www.diy.com/departments/tools-equipment/hand-tools/blow-torches-soldering-irons-solder/DIY623196.cat

Heat the wee bastirts up cherry red and they will come off with your fingers. 😂
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1