Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Husqvarna 701 Engine Failure

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:01 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: 2018 Husqvarna 701 Engine Failure Reply with quote

A couple months ago, I got a 2018 Husky 701 supermoto. Bike is on PCP, as I always do and within 2 months and 3,000 miles, the bike went pop.

Had it recovered to the dealer and 4.5 weeks later, only just getting parts delivered to the shop and the engine has been fully stripped.

Question is, in the 4.5 - 6 weeks this has been going on, I have obviously paid out a finance payment and insurance for something which I don't have. Probably amounts to £125 but still, I'm paying for something which I don't have...

Husky / My dealer don't seem to be arsed at all about that. I keep mentioning it and they just say, "yeah I understand".

What would you do?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you paying for the work or parts? Did they offer you anything as a replacement? Could it be called a reasonable amount of time to get it all sorted? Is there any negligence on your part?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:18 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an engine failure after 2 months and 3k I'd have handed it back and walked away. Not a chance I'd be messing around waiting for them to fix it and give you back the same bike.

Have they at least given you a decent courtesy bike?

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:24 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to your finance company rather than the dealer/manufacturer.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:11 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 2018 Husqvarna 701 Engine Failure Reply with quote

No different to if you'd paid outright, that I can see.

Your money would be tied up in an asset you can't use.

If I was bothered, I'd be suggesting I'd be rejecting the goods if a courtesy bike wasn't forthcoming.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:11 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failure was in the top end but some bottom end parts have been affected too.

They have actually recalled certain 2018 models over this issue now, as demonstrated by a tool setup on both Husky/KTM's websites to check your VIN and Delivery ID number.

They're currently waiting on 1 part and then putting it all back together. I should have it back in the next week or so.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:21 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be a good argument for saying this is utterly normal for a motorcycle produced by a chainsaw manufacturer and whos engine rebuild intervals are normally measured in hours on their competition models. I'd expect a husky to break down frequently and expensively.

I remember a few years back that GASGAS did a road bike which came with a 90 day warranty (and the reviews pointed out this is 90 days longer than their competition bikes).

The weird thing is why anyone (either the purchaser or the supplier) would want to enter into an HP agreement on such a peaky, fragile bit of exotica in the first place.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:07 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The weird thing is why anyone (either the purchaser or the supplier) would want to enter into an HP agreement on such a peaky, fragile bit of exotica in the first place.

Why does anyone do anything?

These things are MEGA fun. The most fun on a bike I have ever had. Last bike was a 1299 Panigale and have an RSV4 RF currently. Not exactly two bikes / brands known for complete reliability but they're exotic and immensely fun to ride. I'm not here to ride the same bike for 10 solid years, the same old boring shite, I like to mix it up...which is why I like to change my bikes every 18 months with something new and shiny and having them on HP / PCP is how I like to do it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

These things are MEGA fun. The most fun on a bike I have ever had. Last bike was a 1299 Panigale and have an RSV4 RF currently. Not exactly two bikes / brands known for complete reliability but they're exotic and immensely fun to ride. I'm not here to ride the same bike for 10 solid years, the same old boring shite, I like to mix it up...which is why I like to change my bikes every 18 months with something new and shiny and having them on HP / PCP is how I like to do it.

Well said, our tastes in bikes may be different, and like you, I don't intend to keep my bike for 10 years or more, although, even for me, 18months is a fairly quick turnover !! Especially, as I've had 2 of my bikes just over and juts under 3 years, and another just over 12 months.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:25 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a part number for the one they're being slow to get?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:35 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I don't but I know it's a cam shaft balancer?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:38 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Well said, our tastes in bikes may be different, and like you, I don't intend to keep my bike for 10 years or more, although, even for me, 18months is a fairly quick turnover !! Especially, as I've had 2 of my bikes just over and juts under 3 years, and another just over 12 months.

18 months is inside the warranty on new bikes, which is what I like these days. Sometimes I will keep one for 12 months, others I might run over to 2 years... depends but last 3 have been within 18 months.

The RSV4 is going soon, only 2 months left on the warranty (it was new but registered in Sept 16 with 0 miles) and thinking about a Superduke 1290R but not sure if I will wait until next year now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:57 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: 2018 Husqvarna 701 Engine Failure Reply with quote

It's not your bike. It belongs to the finance company. They're renting it to you. If it were rejected as not fit for purpose, the cost of it would be refunded to them.

Given that, I'd be inclined to tell them that they can provide you with a working equivalent, or they can go and collect their bike at any time. If they have a problem with their bike's condition, they can talk to the dealer from whom they purchased it, or to Husqvarna.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:07 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

I don't doubt they are fun. I'm just amazed people are prepared to offer finance on them when they are effectively a hand grenade looking for a war.

What I was saying in semi-seriousness, is you could just about legitimately claim that all parties to this agreement knew there was a fair to middling chance of this bike blowing itself up in a fairly short period of time and taking a lot of repairing.

Do they actually offer an 18 month warranty on them? I'm surprised.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:18 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They offer a 2 year warranty on them and the service intervals are actually every 7k and not measured in hours, which was another attractive thing about getting one.

Someone pointed out that the 2 year warranty is not actually on the engine, not checked that out though.

The issue that happened was the decompressor valve / bolt thing rattled itself loose and fell in the engine and got dragged around. They say there's only small batches affected by this issue.

My pals all got them too, there's 6 of us with them and some of them have been recalled, others not.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Ste wrote:

I don't but I know it's a cam shaft balancer?

A what? Do you mean crankshaft balancer, or camshaft follower perhaps?

Camshafts should have no need for any kind of external balancing.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for OP and his situation, especially as we are right in the middle of a heat wave and perfect evening weather for supermoto hooligan shenanigans too. I do think mate that they should have offered you a courtesy bike seeing as a full engine re-build and the waiting time on the parts order isn't a quick process with firms like KTM. Even if it was a Duke 125 they should give you something to ride in the sun IMO.

But I do see Stinkwheel's points too, and he is right about firms like KTM and their race bike ethos with no warranty on most of the range. Realistically you can't warranty an off road competition bike anyway, as it could be damaged or destroyed in an event a week after purchase etc.

Back to KTM parts, years ago I remember my mate having to wait nearly 3weeks for a front mudguard and some other plastic bits for his lads KTM SX50. They were silly expensive too for little bike parts.

Its a shame this has happened to OP's bike, but after signing up to an 18month or more PCP or Credit on the bike, I think you've got to really have it fixed and have it back to use and enjoy until your monthly plan is up, or you have the option of changing the bike or handing it back.

And I wanted OP's experience to be a blast too, as me having a shed full of non runners, I was thinking of going down a similar route with a brand new very silly supermoto bike on finance for next year. I would probably prefer a lower cc example though with a bit less power.

Oh and my reasoning to Stinkwheel to make sense of the question he asked about 90day warranty bikes and why is:
I barely ride and wouldn't cover 1000miles a year on two wheels. Im silly and more like 12 than 40. And I like these stupidly silly light weight and highly strung bikes, that normal people and those that really ride bikes wouldn't give the time of day to.

If I had Jay's bike or something similar, then it'd actually make me want to get it out of the shed on more occasions and go for a hoon. If I had a really good capable and very useful bike in the shed like a VFR750 I'd probably leave it to gather dust and do fuck all with. I don't need to ride or go anywhere on a bike, so to actually use one at all it'd have to grab me by the balls and say let's go for a daft evening thrash. Stuff like KTM's do that, but nice big powerful, smooth and comfortable bikes would turn me off like a switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There would be a good argument for saying this is utterly normal for a motorcycle produced by a chainsaw manufacturer and whos engine rebuild intervals are normally measured in hours on their competition models. I'd expect a husky to break down frequently and expensively.

Question KTM have been producing motorcycles since the 1950s and never have, to my knowledge, sold chainsaws.
This isn't a competition bike - it's about 30% heavier than a competition bike, including the Husaberg 650 (the only real 650 competition bike, ignoring the XR650R was was focused on desert racing and was a Honda.)

(Okay, yes I know it's a got a Husky badge - but they've just taken a KTM690SMC, slightly detuned it and changed the logo as far as I understand it. Of course, looking at back at this model history (I've had one from launch); it's not been as good as you might hope for a trail/streetmoto bike that's about the same weight as that really quite reliable and much older aforementioned XR650R.)

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:02 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

A what? Do you mean crankshaft balancer, or camshaft follower perhaps?

Camshafts should have no need for any kind of external balancing.

I'm shit with any type of mechanical stuff. I believe this is the thing that shook loose and fell in the engine...

https://i.imgur.com/QBtDAUw.png

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:06 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

(Okay, yes I know it's a got a Husky badge - but they've just taken a KTM690SMC, slightly detuned it and changed the logo as far as I understand it. Of course, looking at back at this model history (I've had one from launch); it's not been as good as you might hope for a trail/streetmoto bike that's about the same weight as that really quite reliable and much older aforementioned XR650R.)

It is a KTM underneath, there's KTM stamps on the engine. Like you say, it's essentially the KTM 690 SMC-R with some engine tweaks and in a Husky frame since the guy who owns 51% of KTM bought Husky from BMW a few years back.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spoken to the bike's owners yet? Also, what does your rental contract with them say about your right to have a ridable bike?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z0tFWbRWGwwTe/giphy.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:44 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
in a Husky frame

Not sure even that.
https://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/newvehicles/2017/nv5003673_0.jpg
https://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/newvehicles/2017/nv541150_0.jpg
When KTM bought Husaberg, the 'Husaberg' 300cc 2 stroke was just a blue KTM.

On the opposite side - as far as I understood it, the Husaberg parallel twins were just lightly tweaked BMW F800 twins in a funner chassis.

Since KTM bought Husaberg, suddenly they have a similar capacity engine in the same format!

Somewhere I'm sure I've seen 'all new' engine; but I do wonder if that perhaps means 'new for KTM'.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Have you spoken to the bike's owners yet? Also, what does your rental contract with them say about your right to have a ridable bike?

the owners of our Skoda, VW Finance, have instructed our local dealer to supply us with a car of equal or greater value and usefulness, free of charge, until our car is back from repair.

so at the minute we have a 2017 VW Touareg R-line instead of our superb estate.

very nice it is too.

what's the point of renting a vehicle off someone if you end up without a vehicle through no fault of your own?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 23:37 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Not sure even that.
https://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/newvehicles/2017/nv5003673_0.jpg
https://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/newvehicles/2017/nv541150_0.jpg
When KTM bought Husaberg, the 'Husaberg' 300cc 2 stroke was just a blue KTM.

On the opposite side - as far as I understood it, the Husaberg parallel twins were just lightly tweaked BMW F800 twins in a funner chassis.

Since KTM bought Husaberg, suddenly they have a similar capacity engine in the same format!

Somewhere I'm sure I've seen 'all new' engine; but I do wonder if that perhaps means 'new for KTM'.

That's what I meant, just Husky livery all over the frame.. they are pretty much identical.

There's 6 or 7 x 701's from 2016 - 2018 in the group and 2 x KTM 690's one 2011 and other 2015 and the 2015 one looks identical sat next to the 701s.

I'll ring the finance company tomorrow and see what they say.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3