Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

uneven boot sole wear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: uneven boot sole wear Reply with quote

Afaicr, this has never happened before: Uneven wear pattern on my bike boots. I went through several pairs of those soft, fairly crap but oh-so-cheap Aldi boots a few years ago, and whatever their weaknesses were, they did seem to wear evenly.

Last year I thought eh - I'll up me boot budget a bit, and went to the £100-£150 category. The ones I got were a bit adventurey - the soles had more tread than I'd like (I prefer fairly smooth soles so they don't catch on pegs, etc.). But apart from that, and the fact that they were a bit lacking in feel generally, they were warm, strong and well-made.

Here they are - made by some firm called Richa:

https://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/171/992/11703-Richa-Adventure-Motorcycle-Boots-1600-0.jpg

For some reason that image is distorting - the only other ones I can find are diddy.

Anyway you get the gist. They're pretty decent for £100. And are a good all rounder - can go green laning with them on, or they're not too bad on my old sporty road bike.

Got about 20k miles on them now and they're still looking really good (great buckles btw)...except for one niggle. The right boot sole has worn loads more than the left.

I can't suss out why though. Is that down to using the back brake? That's the only thing I can think of - even though I don't even really use the back bloody brake. I'd guess that at least 75% of the time I stop on my left foot, so that would seem to be the one most likely to wear. But the right one's pretty smooth now and the left one has guessing 90% of original tread still there.

Just wondered what everyone else's boots wear like - does one get knackered before the other, or is it fairly even?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perchance they used a different rubber batch for right boots than left boots on a production run.
There is no reason that they cannot do right one day and lefts another day. Or something. But I would expect a decent OEM would batch match.
(I may have coined a new industry term there. Wink )

Write to the makers.

Maybe a recall.

They can only tell you to get *ucked. Smile

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:27 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What side is your exhaust?

My brother used to get similar on his Dr Martins when riding his Honda c90 Very Happy the exhaust warmed it up enough to make the rubber weak when he walked on it after a ride.

Looking at the Neval Minsk 125 it has a RHS pipe so it could be that.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCX

More wear on left boot for me.

https://i.imgur.com/idcPLTo.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which do you put down when you stop... Mr. Green

One bonus of soles like that is they can be resoled Thumbs Up

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My left leg is longer than my right so I always wear out the left shoe and boot first in all my footwear.

If you walk for a long distance, do you find yourself walking in circles? Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Which do you put down when you stop... Mr. Green

did you not see where I wrote:
I'd guess that at least 75% of the time I stop on my left foot, so that would seem to be the one most likely to wear.

Neutral

iooi wrote:
One bonus of soles like that is they can be resoled Thumbs Up

But can they? I thought - and hoped - so. But the soles are not actually *stitched* on as such - and instead are I assume stuck on somehow. Which makes me think they can't be resoled, for some reason.

Then I thought, well, even if they *can* be resoled, that would presumably cost £50 - which would be their value if half worn (given original cost of £100). So would technically be a "write off".

Third thought close on the heels of that - pun sort of intended - was that I don't like the idea of the disposable society, etc. - so if the uppers are still serviceable, maybe I would actually stump up the ackers for a resoling job. I think it might be worth it too because these really are quite a decent boot tbh and the uppers show little sign of wear at all.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:

If you walk for a long distance, do you find yourself walking in circles? Laughing

I do everything within my power to avoid walking even for very short distances. Mr. Green

NB - for reasons of abject laziness rather than circularity

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Then I thought, well, even if they *can* be resoled, that would presumably cost £50 - which would be their value if half worn (given original cost of £100). So would technically be a "write off". ll.

You don't need stitched soles to resole them. A good cobbler will grind the old back and stick a new sole on.
I have had it done several times.

Cost no where near £50, if you find a good local cobbler and not one of the chains.

If the rest of the boot is OK, why chuck them away as you don't like the idea.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty strict about the whole "Left leg down, right leg up" thing. So my left boot sole is more worn than my right as well.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:46 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has sole.
Embarassed

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
This thread has sole.
Embarassed

It won't last.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold your tongue, guys.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awl right awl right. Rolling Eyes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:28 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was your left boot, there's a purpose-made solution to avoid wear on them!
https://www.speedwaybikes.com/cody/images/BC-612-IMG_2778.jpg
Alas the world is prejudiced against those of your identity - you may claim fifteen victim points!

Razz

Err... possibly just your foot resting on the brake lever? Or - typically people enjoy and do better on right handers, so may move around a bit more with your right foot.
My right boot has got a big hole in it from questionable foot position.
https://i.imgur.com/eVPf88W.jpg

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"typically people enjoy and do better on right handers" - not me, I feel loads more confident going into left handers (however chicken strips are equal width so eh).

wish there were more anti-clockwise tracks tbh

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I feel loads more confident going into left handers (however chicken strips are equal width so eh).

Possible that on left handers you lean the bike and on rights you push the bike down (leaning less)?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be stating the oblivious here but left handers are not as preferable in UK due to traffic from the opposite direction. Or risk of collision with.
Mericans maybe have issue with right handers for the same reasons.

Has there been any peer reviewed scientific research on this?
🤔
Very Happy

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I may be stating the oblivious here but left handers are not as preferable in UK due to traffic from the opposite direction. Or risk of collision with.

🤔
Very Happy

also road camber usually different for left and right bends as the road usually lowers from centre outwards

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
MCN wrote:

🤔
Very Happy

also road camber usually different for left and right bends as the road usually lowers from centre outwards

left handers you can usually get a bit of berm effect whereas right handers are going to mostly be off camber - also left handers you can apex if the view's there, and even when it isn't, you can straighten it out a teeny bit

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

🤔
Very Happy

yes

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of soles?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1