Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

hydration pack / bladder thingys

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: hydration pack / bladder thingys Reply with quote

anyone use one for touring?

I'm thinking of picking one up as I'm off to germany on thursday, but they all look much of a muchness with £10-£150 pricetags and mixed reviews on every single one...

any recommendations for specific low cost model to grab on the quick?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:23 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camelbak are the original and best.

You can pick up a gucci army issue one for about £15-£17 if you don't mind a second hand one (umm, might want a new bite valve, the rest can be disinfected with a water purification tablet). They are tough as old boots. Look for one with a manual bite valve, proper camelbak bladders and neoprene tube sleeves.

There's a brand new one on ebay for £30. I have this type. It's designed to fit on over webbing/bergens so you can easily fit it over a bulky bike jacket. Not the most comfortable if you wanted to go running in it though. You'd pay £60+ for one of that spec. Notice the black plastic tab just below the filler cap, that makes it easy to hold and fill, even if you want to fill it from something other than a tap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Desert-Camouflage-CamelBak-3L-Individual-Hydration-System/283048300744?hash=item41e6fe50c8:g:8HUAAOSwj2RbG67H

If you want cheap. Have a look at your local decatholon store. I've not used their hydration packs but I've yet to be disappointed in a bit of quechua gear.

borked
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:17 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, best bet is an exmilitary one.

You can also disinfect the bladder/tube with denture tablets, they cost next to nothing compaired to the kits camelbak sell.

I've got a camelbak mule, back when I picked it up a few years ago I think it was £60 new on amazon, now it seems they are £80-100. Honestley i'd say it was worth 60, I've used it loads and it's still like new.

Last edited by borked on 13:11 - 10 Jul 2018; edited 1 time in total

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 10 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

borked wrote:
You can also disinfect the bladder/tube with denture tablets, they cost next to nothing compaired to the kits camelbak sell.

I've previously used Milton fluid as used for sterilising babies bottles. The denture tablets sound like they'd be easier to use, and having read the amazon reviews it sounds like they'll remove the tea and coffee stains in my thermos too! Cheers for the suggestion!

image riot
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:51 - 13 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Camelbak on a few tours, invaluable in my opinion. Little tip, if it's hot and you can get to a McDonalds in Germany they have ice dispensers for drinks which you can use to fill the Camelbak. You then have cold water all day as it melts and it keeps your back cool.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the input fellas. I went with the camelbak in the end, mate got a cheap ebay one and the strap broke off it on the ferry over... at this point I was glad to have spent the extra. it spent most of its time in my tank bag though as there was perfect amount of space for it.

borked
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
cheers for the input fellas. I went with the camelbak in the end, mate got a cheap ebay one and the strap broke off it on the ferry over... at this point I was glad to have spent the extra. it spent most of its time in my tank bag though as there was perfect amount of space for it.

Which model camelbak did you go for in the end?

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

borked wrote:
ocatoro wrote:

Which model camelbak did you go for in the end?

The "classic" ... Got it from Amazon as I had a voucher to use up. Worked out about £20 with that. It's lightly insulated too, so water stayed cool apart from what was in the tube.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:07 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats cheaper and easier than a bottle of coke in the tankbag? why spend and over complicate a drink. its not like you don't stop for photos, stretch of the legs and fuel

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:42 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper? No.
Easier? Yes.

A camelbak doesn't overcomplicate drinking, in fact it makes it much simpler. Razz

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:
whats cheaper and easier than a bottle of coke in the tankbag? why spend and over complicate a drink. its not like you don't stop for photos, stretch of the legs and fuel

wasn't drinking on the fly... drank when stopped. but wasn't always stopping at shops or places convenient for buying drinks and it was so hot the water intake on top of more sugary drinks was absolutely required.

a can of coke is sugary and dehydrating.

2.5 litres of cold water, easily refilled at any shop or services with a couple of big bottles of water was quite easy and convenient tbh. if I just carried the bottles, they'd have warmed through in minutes

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:54 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
Dave V4 wrote:

wasn't drinking on the fly... drank when stopped. but wasn't always stopping at shops or places convenient for buying drinks and it was so hot the water intake on top of more sugary drinks was absolutely required.

a can of coke is sugary and dehydrating.

2.5 litres of cold water, easily refilled at any shop or services with a couple of big bottles of water was quite easy and convenient tbh. if I just carried the bottles, they'd have warmed through in minutes

so how long did you go for and how long did you ride each day, total mileage over the trip etc? also how did you manage to keep the camelback cool compared to drinks stowed in the tankbag/topbox
I find it hard to believe you need this type of thing for a European bimble, maybe a treck to Morocco or some other similar desination where you might struggle to get a drink of some sort for a few hours, but Germany?

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:03 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Cheaper? No.
Easier? Yes.

A camelbak doesn't overcomplicate drinking, in fact it makes it much simpler. Razz

please explain, as I see it, 1st you have to buy the pack, set it up somehow with the tube to mouth under the helmet etc, fill it up regularly, drink warm water after an hour or so and wear the extra weight for the day
its a euro bimble, hardly the most strenuous exercise going, if a bottle of what you fancy in the topbox/tankbag, along with the drinks at breakfast, lunch and dinner isn't enough maybe you should try an easier exercise

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave V4 wrote:

so how long did you go for and how long did you ride each day, total mileage over the trip etc? also how did you manage to keep the camelback cool compared to drinks stowed in the tankbag/topbox
I find it hard to believe you need this type of thing for a European bimble, maybe a treck to Morocco or some other similar desination where you might struggle to get a drink of some sort for a few hours, but Germany?

1. only 5 days.
2. all day. every day. 740 miles first and last day. 200-300 the rest of the days.
3. both on my back, and in the tank bag. kept cool becauase it's lined/insulated for that purpose.

I wouldn't say it was essential. but having now got one, I'd highly recommend it to anyone. not all stops have a shop and this allows you to stop wherever and take on water. if youre riding for 8 hours plus in 30+ degree heat you get dehydrated and lose concentration.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:21 - 13 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also a really convenient way to carry a fairly large quantity of readily accessable water while on a motorcycle.

Yes, you could keep a 2l bottle of water in the top-box... I bet it would still be there when you reach your destination.

Even if it is warm (and as said, they are pretty well insulated), it's still water.

It is less intrusive than back armour (and might even be more effective?).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1